Three newbie crown questions

Hi,

Apologies in advance for what I'm sure will be a simple set of questions.

I recently got a Limit 25 jewel vintage watch missing a strap and crown. I got a strap fitted ok and I managed to fit the crown ok but it's not right so I have three questions:

1. I got a size 10 / 4mm standard crown which seems to screw in ok but it sits proud of the case so its obviously not right. Despite reading loads of articles about crowns, I don't know what type I should be fitting and how to size it appropriately for the watch.

2. Now its screwed on, how do I remove the crown - the stem rotates freely in the anticlockwise so how do hold it in order to remove the crown? 

3. The movement / face rotates in the watch if you move the crown. I suspect due to an incorrect crown but could be for other reasons. If I have the right crown will it resolve this issue?

Thanks

IMG_20220705_103748.jpg

Edited by tututim
Forgot to follow

Hi To remove the crown will require you to open the watch  (remove the back). You said its 17 jewel so therfore mechanical. Normaly to remove the stem and crown there is a screw adjacent to the stem input this needs baching off 1 1/2 turns and the stem should release.   The face rotates?   as you wind the crown does it just move within the case or rotate fully?  If it just moves the case movement seperator is either broken or missing . If it rotates all round the dial feet are broken.

Once you get the back off re post a picture of the front , back  of the movement and the case where the stem fits.  From that we can possibly find the caliber on the movement and progress from there.  From your picture I would deduce that the crown is a flush fit and doesnt have a tube. as per the pictures.         cheers

crown 2.jpg

watch crown.jpg

Thanks for the pictures.  To remove the stem, on the picture there is just to the right of the stem hole with two slots in it  this is for the screw driver to press down on the release lever. As I cant see what the movement is to be on the safe side pull out the stem to setting position and then release the lever. DONT press down too hard or you will displace the keyless work. and as you press down pull the stem out at the same time.  with some watches ETA2824 not pulling the stem out to the set position and then removing the stem the sliding pinion drops and you cannot get the stem back in and its a dismantle job to refit it so be careful.  do you have a picture of the full movement back? under the balance wheel there should be a number and a logo ie   ETA 2824 or the like if so can you post it   thanks. 

10 minutes ago, watchweasol said:

DONT press down too hard

If you use a 1mm screwdriver it will just fit the slot, allowing you to only push the release as far as it needs to go and no further, thus significantly reducing the risk of upsetting the keyless works.

From your photos it looks to me like that case should have a pendant tube which is missing and will need to be replaced if you want to fit the correct crown for the watch, which yours isn't. Better photos of the whole watch and of the case where the stem enters will help.

Hi @watchweasoland @Marc

Thank you very much for posting, I really appreciate your help. I found a number under the balance wheel as you described. The its 2783 so I assume its an ETA 2783. I also attach some more pictures which are hopefully better. I have some screwdrivers on order so I can get the stem out when they arrive.

If you could let me know if I need to get a pendant tube  - I have some venier calipers - I'm assuming I would use these to measure?

Thanks Tim

I've got some IMG_20220707_113521.thumb.jpg.2e9de690d88acfd4371ea4df0865edc3.jpgIMG_20220707_113708.thumb.jpg.06bb07da506c55694ba686bec702dfdb.jpgIMG_20220707_113752.thumb.jpg.26d34735eea767a8f7ccea65081c1804.jpgIMG_20220707_113739.thumb.jpg.fa09b26930bd7f2d5b41cc6ee390a666.jpgIMG_20220707_113636.thumb.jpg.6b0ee1b6d6b3b35da2c813820b92eae4.jpgIMG_20220707_113552.thumb.jpg.3b0146fe3673f0eeb1fc2bb61fd9b930.jpg