Noob looking for help and advice

Hi,

I wanted to get into horology as a hobby now I have more time and interested in repairing, learning more about the history and engineering and practically what extent I can get to myself. I'm a total noob atm so looking forwards to developing a basic level of skill and understanding.

So thanks in advance for your help!

Tim

Hi Tim  If you are truly interested you could do no better than enrol in Marks  Online courses (information on this site). Mark will take you through from the basics to being competent in repair and handling.  "Watchfix.com" will also take you to Marks courses.   I have attached two documents for you to peruse to give you an idea what its all about.  Hope you find it helpful.     In the mean time find an old pocket watch and get some good screwdrivers, tweezers and a loupe  and have a go,  best get a working one so you know it was ok to start with and should work afterwards.  good luck.   if you need further information just post the questions we are all here to help you suceed.           Cheers

1612608791_ToolsfortheHobbyist (2) (1).pdf TZIllustratedGlossary.pdf

• Like 2

Welcome to the forum Tim! I will often point folks to this web page which offers a really good look at a mechanical watch using some very good animations. If you spend time looking at that you'll learn a LOT. Also, I agree with @watchweasolabout Mark's online courses, they're well done and his level 2 and 3 teach you a lot. Level 1 is also good if you haven't spent the last three months watching every YouTube watch repair guy fix watches - it is really basic.

• Like 1

Hi @watchweasol and @grsnovi

Thank you very much for your comments and advice. I've downloaded the info and looked at the websites. The animations are awesome and mkes it a lot easier to understand whats going on. I'll defo get a course just need to pick the right time.

I did have one question regarding the pocket watch - a new mechanical movement from China I assume would still presumably be good for training on?

Thanks Tim

3 hours ago, tututim said:

I did have one question regarding the pocket watch - a new mechanical movement from China I assume would still presumably be good for training on

The Seagull TS36 movement is a good movement to learn on. It's inexpensive and easily available. They ship from the factory without having been lubricated and the hairspring attaches to the balance stud with glue.