Pocketwatch dial side plate numbers & swmbols?

If it were a Swiss watch and the strange symbols were the makers mark, I could look them up. Often there is a number indicating gold content but I'm guessing the plate is brass. I'm not going to be any help with this pocket watch. Do you know who made it?

Wow! That's a beauty!

Finding cases for old pocket watches can be a challenge. Do you have a dial and hands for it? You'll need to know the dial diameter and you'll need to understand the bulk of the movement (diameters and depth). It's a key wind so there will need to be a hole for the key. There are different styles of cases: open face, hunter, etc... Ideally you'd find a case for that watch but the likelihood is that it was gold and somebody sold it for the metal.

You might try contacting the seller, it looks as if they deal in this sort of antique and may have an idea where/how you could locate a case that would work.

Thanks for that, it's a fusee which for me, adds another spiral of challenges👍

With the hinge at 12 i recocn it'll be open face but i get the feeling it could also be a hunter if i want? Silver case would be ok.

For now i'm curious about the plate numbers, i've ordered a couple of books to help ID markings so thought i'd check the forum also.

Edited by Freewheel

in the case of numbers on American pocket watch plates they usually serial numbered everything. That's because everything was manufactured together like the holes in the plates were drilled through all the plates the same time. Unlike today we can manufacture everything separated put together after the fact and everything will fit perfect hopefully in the old days at all had to be drilled together

then back in pocket watches do have weird little symbols and somewhere I did see what the meaning of them were but last time I tried to find the reference I couldn't find it but they're not something that you would normally ever use

my guess here is that the watch was probably manufactured by somebody else may be and then finished by the person whose name you see prominent on the plates

one of the sad thing is with early watches were that the beautiful watch remains and the case was scrapped for the metal content. Then I don't know about or enough about English watches to know whether they had standard sizes or not. About the time American pocket watches came around we had standard sizes like 18 was a standard size 17 was a standard sized export to Europe I'm not sure if it actually represented a European case there was just something they did. But I just don't know how much interchangeability is you have with European cases although. They send the reason because stuff has to fit within a certain size specification because oftentimes components were purchased in other words watches tended to be of a certain size because of whatever they are made from verses a clock that could be any size they wanted. But I still don't know how much interchangeability cases you have

then is also brought up to keyholes of course have to be in the right place and FM enough thickness and the dial side if you have a key setting up there. Then I had an idea but it just crashed and burned. As is is a English watch and most the people in this group are in England it would make it a lot easier to find the case because it would be a seller somewhere with cases that didn't only get scrapped yet. But looking at your location that's going to be a bit more problematic unfortunately not to say and not going find a case but it's going to be as likely as me running out and finding a English case anywhere locally although you look on eBay is amazing what shows up there sooner or later if you're patient