My first attempt! AS 676

Completely new to watch repair, shiny new tools in hand and impatiently waiting for a Unitas 6431/6445 to arrive in the post to begin to learn on, I decided to take a stab at disassembling and reassembling an old watch that was passed down to me, nothing sentimental, was just floating around with some unknown jewellery.

With a bit of research I've found it's an Australian designed 9ct Hantily case with an AS 676 handwound movement. After researching Hantily, I've discovered that they were producing cases in a factory in Richmond barely a kilometer from where I live. The spelling of the logo (business changed several times) and the Ebauche SA TR shield stamp makes me believe it dates to between 1926–1934.

I was too nervous to try and clean it properly, but I successfully managed to fully strip and reassemble the movement, set the time and recase it. The tiny movement size of 8.75''' blew my mind at how delicate things were. Several screws barely turned with my 0.80mm screwdriver, and I also had to drill a hole in my new loupe...

While probably a stupid first undertaking at least now the pocket watch is going to seem huge in comparison!

AS-676-10.jpg

AS-676-9.jpg

AS-676-1.jpg

AS-676-4.jpg

AS-676-6.jpg

AS-676-7.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 6/29/2022 at 12:18 PM, Hutch said:

Completely new to watch repair, shiny new tools in hand and impatiently waiting for a Unitas 6431/6445 to arrive in the post to begin to learn on, I decided to take a stab at disassembling and reassembling an old watch that was passed down to me, nothing sentimental, was just floating around with some unknown jewellery.

With a bit of research I've found it's an Australian designed 9ct Hantily case with an AS 676 handwound movement. After researching Hantily, I've discovered that they were producing cases in a factory in Richmond barely a kilometer from where I live. The spelling of the logo (business changed several times) and the Ebauche SA TR shield stamp makes me believe it dates to between 1926–1934.

I was too nervous to try and clean it properly, but I successfully managed to fully strip and reassemble the movement, set the time and recase it. The tiny movement size of 8.75''' blew my mind at how delicate things were. Several screws barely turned with my 0.80mm screwdriver, and I also had to drill a hole in my new loupe...

While probably a stupid first undertaking at least now the pocket watch is going to seem huge in comparison!

AS-676-10.jpg

AS-676-9.jpg

AS-676-1.jpg

AS-676-4.jpg

AS-676-6.jpg

AS-676-7.jpg

Well done Hutch with your first attempt, you didnt mention if it ticked away after your reassembly. If so then very well done 👏. Some good research that you have done as well. I believe both repair and watch company history go hand in hand. So anyway how is Starsky ? Lol.  My absolute all time favourite American tv show. 👍

On 7/1/2022 at 8:45 PM, Neverenoughwatches said:

Well done Hutch with your first attempt, you didnt mention if it ticked away after your reassembly. If so then very well done 👏. Some good research that you have done as well. I believe both repair and watch company history go hand in hand. So anyway how is Starsky ? Lol.  My absolute all time favourite American tv show. 👍

Thanks! and yes it ticked away, can tell it's got a low amplitude from 100 year old grease etc so it needs a proper clean. But my learner movement arrived so I can't start practicing now

• 3 weeks later...