Single Speed Or Variable Speed Polishing Machine

DJT2

Hi guys, I'm in the market to buy my first polishing machine. I'm wondering if there are any recommendations? I'd say I'd be comfortable with spending upto £275. I'm just getting a little confused on what spec would be the most beneficial for me. Ie.. Do I require 8", 1/2hp, 550watt, variable speed etc. Any help or advice would be welcome.

No need to spend a lot of money buy the likes of this http://www.screwfix.com/p/scheppach-bg150-bench-grinder-150mm-240v/28349?kpid=28349&cm_mmc=Google-_-Product%20Listing%20Ads-_-Sales%20Tracking-_-sales%20tracking%20url&kpid=28349&cm_mmc=Google-_-Shopping%20-%20Power%20Tools-_-Shopping%20-%20Power%20Tools&gclid=CPX70uKA88UCFSkGwwod2XUA9gand fit with a set of these http://www.metalpolishingsupplies.co.uk/bench-grinder-polishing-spindle-adapter-set-1-2-12-5mm/?gclid=CNLNup2B88UCFQKK2wodm30AfQ

I have been using this setup for polishing metal for many years now, but I still prefer to refinish watches by hand to ensure there is no damage to edges and sharp profiles. Only very occasionally will I use a small buff on my Dremel.

Unless you are going to be polishing plastic, you don't really need a variable speed machine.

PS. I'm not saying to buy the above, they are only to illustrate the type of polishing system I use.

No need to spend a lot of money buy the likes of this http://www.screwfix.com/p/scheppach-bg150-bench-grinder-150mm-240v/28349?kpid=28349&cm_mmc=Google-_-Product%20Listing%20Ads-_-Sales%20Tracking-_-sales%20tracking%20url&kpid=28349&cm_mmc=Google-_-Shopping%20-%20Power%20Tools-_-Shopping%20-%20Power%20Tools&gclid=CPX70uKA88UCFSkGwwod2XUA9gand fit with a set of these http://www.metalpolishingsupplies.co.uk/bench-grinder-polishing-spindle-adapter-set-1-2-12-5mm/?gclid=CNLNup2B88UCFQKK2wodm30AfQ

I have been using this setup for polishing metal for many years now, but I still prefer to refinish watches by hand to ensure there is no damage to edges and sharp profiles. Only very occasionally will I use a small buff on my Dremel.

Unless you are going to be polishing plastic, you don't really need a variable speed machine.

PS. I'm not saying to buy the above, they are only to illustrate the type of polishing system I use.

I must admit I've seen you mention that you generally hand polish watches & as I've only ever polished the sideboard before, I've looked for videos on you tube for hand polishing watches & can't find any. The only stuff I can find is with machine polishing. Hence getting the machine.

I just have finished modifying dual table grinder from Lidl to adopt it as a polishing machine. It seems to be solid and not very expensive. Im not doing much polishing so for my needs its enough. I added speed control module to it (DIY kit for speed control from one of the shops with electronic stuff, I had to solder but that was fun). Module fit inside case of grinder and only change I had to do was drilling hole for knob for changing speed). I used connectors to put it into circuit so it can be back to original state at any moment, just unplug module and pug it back as it was. It runs quite nice, 200W its enough power, motor seems to run smooth and don't need any maintenance. I can use polishing wheel sized up to fi 15-20cm, up 30mm wide. only problem was getting wheels with proper hole size as it accepts 13mm, so I have to use adapter from 20mm/13mm. All together cost was about 40$ for the device. I can post pictures when I get home.

btw. speed control may be needed if felt wheel is used - too much speed and it can give you burn marks on metal.

Edited by Rafal

I just have finished modifying dual table grinder from Lidl to adopt it as a polishing machine. It seems to be solid and not very expensive. Im not doing much polishing so for my needs its enough. I added speed control module to it (DIY kit for speed control from one of the shops with electronic stuff, I had to solder but that was fun). Module fit inside case of grinder and only change I had to do was drilling hole for knob for changing speed). I used connectors to put it into circuit so it can be back to original state at any moment, just unplug module and pug it back as it was. It runs quite nice, 200W its enough power, motor seems to run smooth and don't need any maintenance. I can use polishing wheel sized up to fi 15-20cm, up 30mm wide. only problem was getting wheels with proper hole size as it accepts 13mm, so I have to use adapter from 20mm/13mm. All together cost was about 40$ for the device. I can post pictures when I get home.

btw. speed control may be needed if felt wheel is used - too much speed and it can give you burn marks on metal.

Looking forward to seeing the pics. I was toying with trying the same thing, however I wasn't sure what size motor/watt & rpm I'd be looking for when purchasing.

Here are the pictures. I believe Cousins sell cone shafts which could be used to attach polishing wheels. This is first draft and I plan to make improvements :). From behind, just by power cable, you could see knob for speed control. That was the only sensible place for it.

post-1017-0-12164600-1433352419_thumb.jp

post-1017-0-02525700-1433352425_thumb.jp

Edited by Rafal

I'm with Geo, and pretty much have the same reference.  

The following related videos may come in handy for you too on how to prep your wheels.

Put the kettle on, they are 70+ minutes (combined).

Edited by SSTEEL
  • Like 1

I'm with Geo, and pretty much have the same reference.

The following related videos may come in handy for you too on how to prep your wheels.

Put the kettle on, they are 70+ minutes (combined).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jnJe2jANms

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMuWrI-sCj8

I've watched them & they are really informative. I even looked at buying the exact same Ray Foster bench polisher that was in the video £350 but just can't justify it at the moment.