Hi everyone, I am Bob & I live in the UK

I have been collecting mechanical wristwatches for over 20 years now & just looking to see what this forum is all about TBH

Would be interesting to see what makes are more popular in the US compared to what might be here

I love Uno watches, Gradus, Longines along with Smiths & Timex

Are Timex a big name in the USA - Both Smiths & Timex were huge here between 1940 - 1980

What was the main stream affordable watches during that time over there?

2 hours ago, BobintheUK said:

I have been collecting mechanical wristwatches for over 20 years now & just looking to see what this forum is all about TBH

Would be interesting to see what makes are more popular in the US compared to what might be here

I love Uno watches, Gradus, Longines along with Smiths & Timex

Are Timex a big name in the USA - Both Smiths & Timex were huge here between 1940 - 1980

What was the main stream affordable watches during that time over there?

Yes Timex watches were very popular in that era because they were inexpensive.

Longines were expensive, so, as I recall, they sold less expensive watches under the Wittnauer and Jubilee brands.  My Dad carried the Longines brand in his shop.

Yes of course Timex was popular in the US given the company is from the founding of the Waterbury Clock company in 1854.  They were at one time the largest sell of watches in the world.  Other similar affordable makers were Inghram, Westclox just to name two others. 

Moving up from these makers would be to buy something from Elgin, Benrus, Bulova and the like.

Going further up the chain would be Hamilton.