Greetings and salutations.

26 minutes ago, Noquartz said:

and want to know what makes them tick

There's a little tiny speaker inside hooked up to a...

Welcome to the forum!

Here's a web page that has a ton of animated bits explaining the mechanics of a watch. It's very well done.

You might also sign up for Mark's online courses. #2 and #3 are both very good. #1 is very basic and good if you know nothing and have never watched a YouTube video where somebody takes a watch that was dragged through the mud and makes it run perfect and sparkle - all in less than an hour (well, not counting the parts that get edited out).

• Like 1

I have watched scores of videos of hobbyists servicing watches. They make it look like something I can do. The first thing I noticed when I tried simple things is the videos are magnified 100 times.

I bought an old pocket watch to practice on; they have bigger parts.  If watch parts were as big as car parts I would be able to get my hammer and dive right in.

I would be happy just being able to open my watches timing them and keeping them water resistant.  I'll have to hold off on complete servicing for a bit.

1 minute ago, Noquartz said:

the videos are magnified 100 times

Easy enough to fix with a loupe of the right magnification. 10x for really close stuff but 4x will work for general viewing. I sometimes wear a lighted visor.

loupe.jpg

new visor.jpg

I bought tools that included a loop.  I'm going to have get one with a head gear and light.  Even the inexpensive Chinese stuff gets expensive when one is starting from scratch.

I am able to resize a bracelet that has push pins. I lost screws on another bracelet, they were smaller that a milometer.  My eyes are as old as I am and things that small just go poof. I'm going to setup am enclosed work area.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.