Service and repair of Waltham Crescent Street 16s from 1908

I just finished servicing this great old Waltham Crescent Street watch made in 1908.   It is a sidewinder and is lever set.   The handsetting did not work when I began the service but it it did work when I was done.   Whoever serviced it before had screwed up the assembly of the keyless works.   It definitely works well now.

The mainspring barrel in this one really had me confused, but after some research I found out that the arbor was made of two pieces that unscrew.   It was necessary to screw the crown wheel back onto the barrel and rotate it counterclockwise until the arbor began to unscrew itself.   That's one to remember for the future.

I don't have too many pictures of the actual disassembly and re-assembly, so here is a shot of the finished movement and watch.   The only thing I could not clean well were the crown and ratchet wheels.   It looks for all the world like they received electric shocks.  Some discoloration and pitting in two very precise locations.

Also, I like the distressed hands on a pretty nice dial.

Rod

watch.jpg

watch2.jpg

• Like 3