So here we have something a bit controversial amongst us, always good for creating discussion. I dont mind if anyone wants to have a dig, I'm ok with that, I'm a bigboy i can take a good amount of stick. But rest assured this watch will at some point when I've satisfied my curiosity about it will be receiving the sharp blade end of my angle grinder. The fake Rolly came as part of a job lot non working, i would have binned it but i was itching to have a look inside to see what had been put together. The case back was a similar removal design to that of the genuine item. A full surround serrated edge requiring a special case spanner to remove it. After spending 20 mins with a suction back remover it was clear this would be the first caseback to beat this old joiner's hands of steel. A kind reminder from ww of the glued nut method was my next step,  for anyone having problems with a case back removal this work a treat. My first impressions of the quartz movement (i never expected anything else) did raise an eyebrow though, it was sort of ok as I'd seen much cheaper and poorer quality in branded watches of the 90s and 2000s. My first job was to check the module if this wasn't working then not much point carrying on. The coil i could potentially replace or fix if it came to that, and also the quartz as i have a stack of both of these from strip downs even retracing the circuit board would have been doable. But a non working cmos and I'm sorry to say its game over barring a new module. This i test with one of those cheap 4 in 1 quartz testers and a home made 1.5 volt supply with attached leads. Luckily it was ticking away like a good un and coil also was in good working condition. The non working was due to debris from a very worn out rotor and a very worn out rotor , so easily replaced as i had a good stock of these saved as well, in fact quite a lot of parts from that exact movement ( always save everything people, you never know ). The rotor can be a little bugger to position and interferes with the mini train wheels as it loves to jump around and stick to anything and everything. A neat little trick here to make him stay put is a small magnet just under his pivot hole. A bit fiddly but still much quicker and far far less frustrating. Everything else checked out ok apart from other little signs of wear but i certainly wasn't going to spend money on getting it running. Once all the train etc together, dial and hands  back on it was time to reinstall in the cleaned case and pop a new battery in. I can never wait to see them working so before the back gets refitted i squat  down to the bench edge and tilt the  watch face towards me. Cool its running.  Case back now refitted with original seal as that was ok. So in summary, yes a fake Rolex but not a hidden fact as Hong Kong is printed at the bottom. An ok quartz swiss movement for that time period assembled in Hong kong or so stated on the movement ( swiss parts ) . Other plus points are a screwdown back with gasket, a screwdown crown with gasket, and a nice bevel edged crystal unscratched, what lets it down is the dial veerrry poor alignment as is obvious and the lume, and a shoddy bracelet but still better that i have seen on other fake brands. I would be guessing at an 80s possibly 90s fake. I will wear for a little while to see how it fairs and its probably the closest i will ever get to wearing a Rolex Oyster Perpetual.  Hope this helps anyone else that encounters any fakes And as always any input or other folks stories about fakes would be great . Here it is.

20220625_083004.jpg

20220625_082927.jpg

20220623_212349.jpg

20220623_212338.jpg

Edited by Neverenoughwatches

Heh, I have a fake one here as well with a stripped crown tube. While I share your feelings around these fake Rolex's, in this case it was my deceased father in law's - my wife always treasured it and to this day I don't have the heart to break the news to her. I suspect she wouldn't mind the fact that it is a fake to be honest, it's a sentimental reminder of her old man. But still, I rather just say that I'm not competent yet to work on it and she leaves it be.

1 hour ago, gbyleveldt said:

Heh, I have a fake one here as well with a stripped crown tube. While I share your feelings around these fake Rolex's, in this case it was my deceased father in law's - my wife always treasured it and to this day I don't have the heart to break the news to her. I suspect she wouldn't mind the fact that it is a fake to be honest, it's a sentimental reminder of her old man. But still, I rather just say that I'm not competent yet to work on it and she leaves it be.

Good move Gert old boy and very considerate.  Its not true what they say about you I knew you was a nice chap. 😉

• Haha 1

Yes, an obvious fake even before you open it. Fun little project, though. (Not sure I understood either the problem or the solution, but that may come in time.)

And slightly off-topic (Sz), how do you remove the glued-on nut after you have opened the case, please? - I've seen this trick on here elsewhere, and I've never heard of anything that will release superglue...

4 hours ago, railwaymaniac said:

Yes, an obvious fake even before you open it. Fun little project, though. (Not sure I understood either the problem or the solution, but that may come in time.)

And slightly off-topic (Sz), how do you remove the glued-on nut after you have opened the case, please? - I've seen this trick on here elsewhere, and I've never heard of anything that will release superglue...

Apparently acetone works. I didnt have that so tried api overnight, it didnt budge so then naptha for a couple of hours. Still was tight so i just got stuck in with a craft knife to cut away, 30 secondss later it gave in and released. The superglue just peeled straight off. You can actually buy debonder which softens the glue in minutes, i used to use it years ago at work.

2 hours ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Not sure I understood either the problem or the solution, but that may come in time.)

Do you mean the problem of fakes? That goes against the grain of anyone that appreciates quality craftsmenship in anything and is willing to pay for that quality.  Fake is as fake owns or wears. I consider myself to be a genuine person not create an image that doesnt exist, what you see is what you get with me. If i cant afford the genuine article I'd rather not pretend that i can. Sorry if that offends anyone thats just my opinion. This was an experiment to see what can be copied and how bad or good it could be done, I'm a very curious bugger. The solution - i don't believe there is one fakes of everything will always be made and will always be bought. We live in a facade world where everything has to look good even when its not, most of what we see and hear is just bullshit. And a lot of media just promotes that because it keeps us in our place, spending our hard earned cash and supposedly happy. This is where i dont fit in i dont even have a tv. Might be better if i stop here.

Edited by Neverenoughwatches
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Might be better if i stop here.

Ok maybe just a tad more . Fashion named watches, i hate them with a passion. A wild stab in the dark ( which is what some directors of these fashion companies should be receiving imo lol ) and a complete and utter guess tells me that fashion companies dont own or run watch factories 🙂. A perfect example, if not epitomises that statement, "a daniel wellington watch" notice i didnt capitalise the name. A mass produced chinese product that made its creator a multi millionaire ( good for him at the expense of unwitting buyers and not his name btw ). A dollar fifty cost to the OD for bulk buying, a hundred and fifty dollar cost to the retail buyer. The mark up in that to my reckoning is 10,000 percent wow. Supposedly a final adornment to a classy dressed individual (Really ? I'd be more inclined to ask the wearer " wtf is that you have falling apart on your wrist mate get yourself a real watch " ). I've yet to see inside one of these but it is coming as a friend has asked me to fix his as the stem has pulled out after two years of very occasional wearing ( such quality and reliability eh ). So stay tuned, a classical piece of crap will be making its way to the forum very soon. 🙂

• Like 1

On 6/25/2022 at 5:57 PM, gbyleveldt said:

I just have one question for you Rich: How the f..k did you bypass the swear filter in your posts above? You have speshul privilege?!

Haha. Gert I'm not sure what you mean. What swearing ?

3 minutes ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Haha. Gert I'm not sure what you mean. What swearing ?

Besides I'm British its part of our privilege to swear 😄

• Haha 1

On 6/25/2022 at 5:57 PM, gbyleveldt said:

I just have one question for you Rich: How the f..k did you bypass the swear filter in your posts above? You have speshul privilege?!

Hey Gert. Look at this and the price it sold for. I bought so many items this afternoon with one seller and was waiting for a combined postage that ebay locked my buying until i paid for the items. I didnt know until i bid for it towards the end. I was gutted, its a lovely old Seiko 😭.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/314039451871?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=ajieiqmysfw&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=tBiLZaCfRb2&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY