Back to Front Pendulum

ThamesSide

I have been given a wall clock to see if i can fix it. I have cleaned it with the correct fluid, oiled it and it is working. The problem I am having is if I put the pendulum on the right way it stops after 30 seconds or so. But if I put it on back to front it works perfectly and ticks until I stop it.

I don't know anything about clocks, clearly, but I would love to learn how to fix it and more importantly why it's happening.

Thanks Simon

The pendulum doesn't look to be in a  straight line. Make sure it is in beat it should have an even tick. Here is a picture of how the pendulum should hang through the crutch. I'm assuming the movement is fixed this way around so you can test it and sort the pendulum out as it is the wrong way when it come to casing it up. 

ce649ed6-9f67-494c-8c90-8dd7c23d0b2b_Screen%20Shot%202013-04-18%20at%2021_43_37.png

Sorry, I don't know what beat error is. I will do some reading.

It is mounted the wrong way round. it is so I can access the pendulum. 

With the pendulum mounted backwards it's been ticking all day. As soon as I turn it round, it stops. The tick seems to be right in the centre of the two pins. With no pendulum on the bar it sits on and clips onto looks slightly twisted. 

I bought another pendulum which arrived yesterday. The original one has quite a ding in it and I am wondering if it's a combination of two things, the twisted bar the pendulum sits on and also the bashed pendulum BUT surely if it is either of the above the clock wouldn't work with the pendulum facing either way and yet it happily ticks all day long when on in reverse?

I adore clocks and watches, I have 2 beautiful mantle clocks and over 30 watches although I know nothing about them. I've spent 20+ years fighting cancer and I am coming out the other end so I intend on looking into this as a serious hobby to keep me busy, mentally challenged and it isn't too strenuous as I've had everything from tumours to bone marrow transplants and so I don't want a jogging hobby, something more sedate I think.

Thanks for the help, I really do appreciate it.

Thanks everyone. I have it working now. I pulled the pin out of "d" on the above pic, fed it down through the slit and turned it around. It is working OK now and the pendulum is the right way round.

Now, I need to put the hands on as they seem quite loose, the metal coil at the back the hammer strikes has a noisy clang rather than a pleasant ding , so I need to figure that out as "b" on the pic is touching the coil. Hammer is working OK but "b" needs some adjustment so it doesn't make any contact with the coil.

Thanks for the help and support folks. 

Make sure you don't have the movement on those brackets too far back, it is better to bend the hammer for it to have a nice sounding strike. Also the movement doesn't want to be too forward because you might not be able to close the door. Good luck. 

• Like 1