Can’t get your hands on a Rolex? Try these instead!!!!!

A while  ago I posted an article published (Daily Telegraph) about Rolex watches and due to a delay in delivery many are purchasing and re selling them at inflated prices ( see eBay listings). 
However this has sparked a great deal of interest in high end watches and today an article suggest alternatives to a Rolex.

Can’t get your hands on a Rolex? Try these instead

The Omega Speedmaster, created in 1957, is a masterclass in marrying sporty dynamism with the finesse of a luxury house. The first chronograph to be produced by the house, it’s known for its distinctive tachymeter scale bezel and is what astronauts have been issued with in space.

Another brand to excite Telegraph readers was Zenith, a heritage Swiss house founded in 1865 whose name might be more under the radar than some others, but as a reader notes, is well recognised among the “cognoscenti”. It’s known for its El Primero movement, incorporated into some of its most elegant and complicated watches.

Then, in the great pantheon of most iconic watches, a Jaeger-LeCoultre Reverso is one of the most sought-after, and beautiful. A dress watch, it was initially created for the polo field – which is why the face can be flipped over and hidden safely – and its sensual Art Deco lines mean it’s an excellent option for the smarter end of your watch roster.

Similarly, at the dressier end of the market, the Cartier Tank is one of the most renowned watch designs of all time, the name taken from Louis Cartier’s glimpse of the rhomboid silhouette of tanks in the First World War. The rectangle shape and the roman numerals of its dial mean its sense of classicism has never gone out of style.

Sporting and military pursuits have long inspired the most renowned watches of the 20th century, and this is the case with Tag Heuer’s Carrera. Created by Jack Heuer, great grandson of the house’s founder, out of his love of motor racing, its automatic versions come at an entry level £2,100 upwards, and special editions usually become collectors’ items.

Two other brands that excited debate were Breitling and Longines. The former’s Navitimer is a masterclass of masculine design; developed as a pilot’s watch in 1952, its hallmarks are the bi-directional slide rule bezel and a distinctive trio of subdials. Longines’ Master Collection is similarly exalted among watch insiders; classic and refined without being overly “mannered” or kept strictly as a dress watch. A version with the moon phase on the dial is always going to carry some weight with watch connoisseurs.

Within the Rolex firmament, Tudor – a brother brand of the house – has its own roster of iconic watches. Most notably, the Black Bay, which only sprang to life in 2012 but has a distinctive design identity; someone in the know will spot the snowflake dial and distinctive triangle, circle and baton numerals a mile away.

Then of course there’s the grand master of luxury watch houses: Patek Philippe. Its Nautilus range is spoken of in hushed terms as many a watch lover’s “Grail watch” with good reason. As is the case with Rolex, sometimes the waiting list really is worth it.

1091685E-749A-45C7-9C34-F8F7BB6818B1.thumb.jpeg.09e4b1861e0a2f4e42fae82d1ccde050.jpeg

1332B2CB-DD7E-4BDA-8C16-269BABBBA286.thumb.jpeg.ed237adfce74457173eff3ae1f621e66.jpeg

Edited by clockboy
  • Like 2

Would you say that Vacheron Constantin is also a worthy contender?  I've only ever worked on the vintage ones, so I haven't read up on what the company is like today.  Once, they were one of the great innovators.  The modern VCs seem to have a nice style for a contemporary watch.  I was curious if there were opinions on how they held up among these others.

1 hour ago, KarlvonKoln said:

Would you say that Vacheron Constantin is also a worthy contender?  I've only ever worked on the vintage ones, so I haven't read up on what the company is like today.  Once, they were one of the great innovators.  The modern VCs seem to have a nice style for a contemporary watch.  I was curious if there were opinions on how they held up among these others.

Yes we all have our favourites the problem I have is lack of funds😒

• Like 2

Why is there a shortage of Rolex Watches

I have just returned from Turkey and in the area I was staying (Side) every single Jewellers had a window full of Rolex watches, no prices on display though.

Ok they were probably all fakes but if not ?

4 hours ago, Paul80 said:

Ok they were probably all fakes

And visually (from the outside) the fakes are getting really hard to see unless you really know what to look for and you happen to always carry a loupe.

I can't think of a single time (while I was routinely wearing an expensive Swiss watch) that I ever encountered another person wearing a watch that I felt the need to comment on (or fawn over). My JLC sun/moon with display back was likely the nicest watch I ever owned/wore and nobody ever commented on it.

So, why not wear a fake if it is only a fashion statement?

I think my Bulova Maritimer is very close in appearance to the Tudor Backbay. The reason I wear that is to go snorkeling. I rarely wear it out and about.

4 hours ago, clockboy said:

Yes we all have our favourites the problem I have is lack of funds😒

Oh yes.  I know that pain.  Just got done working on a vintage Omega Seamaster cal. 470, and a Longines Conquest.  Beautiful marvelous old watches.  And now that I put them in top running condition I have to hand them back.  I've seen so many I'd love to have, and only a few that I could afford to.