NAWCC convention

The NAWCC is primarily hobbiests. Amateurs. That they don't make a living* from watch/clockmaking doesn't mean they're slouches though- there are some extremely knowledgeable folks in the organization.

One of the great things is the meetups, which could be a local chapter, or a regional event, or bigger. The regional events and their "marts" are a great place to find tools and equipment, I got my first decent lathe at one last century.

The magazine is excellent, both in print quality and the level of effort that goes into the articles.

*many professionals are also members, but as far as I know they are the minority

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, nickelsilver said:

The NAWCC is primarily hobbiests. Amateurs. That they don't make a living* from watch/clockmaking doesn't mean they're slouches though- there are some extremely knowledgeable folks in the organization.

One of the great things is the meetups, which could be a local chapter, or a regional event, or bigger. The regional events and their "marts" are a great place to find tools and equipment, I got my first decent lathe at one last century.

The magazine is excellent, both in print quality and the level of effort that goes into the articles.

*many professionals are also members, but as far as I know they are the minority

I’m a member and have found their forum to be useful with respect to pocket watch issues. That said, this forum is by far more interactive and tolerant when it comes to casual hobbyists.

My experience with the NAWCC forum, while helpful, is the membes skew older and more advanced re: a bit more serious and a little less forgiving of newer members who need to overcome big knowledge gaps. Just my impression, not slamming anyone, just my experience that they are less likely to come to the aid of younger folks new to watch repair.

Just now, grsnovi said:

Well, I see you have a white beard - so do I. How much older could they be? 🙂 

Haha. I went to a local chapter meeting and all I can say is I’m 65 and was easily in the lower 5% of the age distribution. 

Just plunked down $94. We'll see how it goes - but to answer your original question: I won't be going to Dayton. Maybe they'll have something out my way (although until my wife tells me that Covid is gone, she probably won't let me go anywhere).

• Like 2