What happened to the "Beginners section request" thread?

Just noticed I had gotten a reaction to one of my posts in the thread https://www.watchrepairtalk.com/topic/22716-beginners-section-request/ but when I go there it says 

Oops!

You do not have permission to view this topic.

Anyone else, or just me not having permission?

It is/was a very interesting thread with many thoughts about how we can behave constructively on WRT and some useful tips about how to find existing information on WRT. Hoping it's just a temporary glitch (and that no one behaved "badly" in it).

12 minutes ago, VWatchie said:

Just noticed I had gotten a reaction to one of my posts in the thread https://www.watchrepairtalk.com/topic/22716-beginners-section-request/ but when I go there it says 

Oops!

It is/was a very interesting thread with many thoughts about how we can behave constructively on WRT and some useful tips about how to find existing information on WRT. Hoping it's just a temporary glitch (and that no one behaved "badly" in it).

Hiya watchie . Yes i had that yesterday.  A 500 error code, then i couldn't log on for an hour. Maybe the thread had become controversial so an attempt to prevent an argument 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

Unless something went down, and things got heated real quick, it would have to be a glitch. There was nothing remotely controversial going on there unless someone has tissue paper skin... Even then, you'd think taking an otherwise constructive thread down entirely over something so trivial would be a pretty dramatic overreaction.

• Like 2

Or it just shows how little beginners are thought of here 

Just kidding obviously 😉

Just checked and I to get the you don't have permission message as well, hope it's just a glitch

Edited by Paul80
  • Like 1

I suspect that Mark L shut it down. He was active here 4 hours ago according to another thread. And there has been a thread suggesting that discussion of forum policy wasn't a topic for discussion.

The fact that OH had participated seemed to suggest that the moderators knew of the thread.

Truth be told, the thread had run its course and was no longer really good for much.

Just my assumption.

Time to move on, nothing to see here...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grsnovi said:

And there has been a thread suggesting that discussion of forum policy wasn't a topic for discussion.

I can't recall that "forum policy" was ever discussed in that thread, but maybe it was. To me, it was simply a thread where we could air our thoughts and opinions about how we, through our behaviour, can make WRT even better. We all love or at least appreciate WRT or we wouldn't be here, would we!?

The fact that OH had participated seemed to suggest that the moderators knew of the thread.

For sure! I trust the mods to be aware of everything that's going on. In general, the moderation on WRT is in my opinion very, very good!

Truth be told, the thread had run its course and was no longer really good for much.

It was worth reading and many of the posts had a lot of positive reactions. Why not just lock it, or better yet, keep it going?

Anyway, to summarize my two most important contributions:

1. Be kind and helpful to everyone, and if you can't, don't reply.

2. The best way (IMO) to find info on WRT is to use Google. For example, just paste the following into Google (or DuckDuckGo): site:watchrepairtalk.com master craft winder

3 hours ago, spectre6000 said:

Unless something went down, and things got heated real quick, it would have to be a glitch. There was nothing remotely controversial going on there unless someone has tissue paper skin...

I couldn't agree more. We always take the risk of offending people when we speak or write no matter how benevolent we try to be. I still remember greeting my brother (decades ago when we were young) with a cheerful "Good morning" and he replied "F-U-2", having a hang-over and having just come out of a brawl (I later learned) with his current girlfriend. It was not a good morning and he was offended. Being offended doesn't cause cancer or any other illness so I really think we shouldn't worry too much. Again, what's important is that we always try to be kind to each other, but we can never predict for sure how what we say is perceived.

I disagree! We all spend a lot of time and effort making this place the best watch repair site on the Internet, and when well-thought-out content is flushed, it's sort of painful (valuable time that could have been spent on something else). Yes, it is the politicians who make the rules but it is the people, at the end of the day, that make it all work!

Edited by VWatchie
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, VWatchie said:

I can't recall that "forum policy" was ever discussed

The notion that additional sub-forums would be nice could be construed as "policy".

57 minutes ago, VWatchie said:

We all love or at least appreciate WRT

Absolutely!

58 minutes ago, VWatchie said:
2 hours ago, grsnovi said:

I disagree!

Well, I know that Mark L had been active since he specifically responded to and locked a thread to him at about the time others commented the thread we're discussing became unavailable.

• Confused 1

As the OP on that thread if it was deleted rather than just locked as others the mods didn't like the direction they where going in it would have been nice to receive a PM from whoever deleted it to explain why so I know not to do it again.

Seemed a little Draconian to just kill it without explanation. 😞

7 hours ago, grsnovi said:

Just remember that we're guests here. It's not "our" board.

Very true.

Without Mark there won't be a forum.

But without the input of us there won't be a forum either. (this echos what in other words VWatchie said above)

To me the forum is a joint effort and that also counts for constructive ideas & criticism in an attempt to make the forum better. Both sides, if you like to see it like that, have to listen to each other to make it a suc6.

In the end, of course, it can only be Mark who carefully & dileberate decides.

Edited by Endeavor
  • Like 3

Idea's on the forum policies should be sent to Mark's inbox, not posted on open forum.

Some members have mistaken WRT for wattsapp chat, they eventually end up  on my " members to ignore"  list. 

Please talk watch repair on WRT forum. 

Regds

• Like 4
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

Where is the members to ignore option ?

Still don't see why that little thread was deemed so bad it had to be completely erased ? Even if Mark or someone didn't like us discussing what you see as forum policy, I certainly didn't see what was said as a criticism of Mark or his forum.

Will be much more careful in the future.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, VWatchie said:

out of curiosity I clicked on one of my emails and looks like we lack permission. Normally in the past when my emails didn't go through it's because the discussion had been relocated to some other section of the message board. Which was always of frustrations try to figure out where the heck it had gone to.

19 hours ago, grsnovi said:

I suspect that Mark L shut it down. He was active here 4 hours ago according to another thread. And there has been a thread suggesting that discussion of forum policy wasn't a topic for discussion.

Mark only likes happy discussions.

In a prior discussion that he closed down I don't remember the exact wording but the quote above is basically right if you're having a problem reach out to the moderators do not discuss it on the message board is basically what was implied.

so we can bicker about the type of lubrication were using but don't bicker about the message board as that does not make for a happy message board discussion was my interpretation. Then compared to a lot of other message boards out there with a watch repair as an afterthought in other words there collecting and they just maybe talk about watch repair this one really isn't that bad.

• Like 4

A billion edits later....

The information here is great. The people here are great. I'm having serious misgivings. This is a poor way to handle people. Or any of it. This forum doesn't work without mods any more than it works without members. We're not paid to generate content either. There must be mutual respect, decency, and courtesy from the top down. I'm fairly certain THAT has no business being considered "policy", but maybe it should. 

That's about as nice as I can make it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

21 hours ago, VWatchie said:

summarize my two most important contributions:

1. Be kind and helpful to everyone, and if you can't, don't reply.

2. The best way (IMO) to find info on WRT is to use Google. For example, just paste the following into Google (or DuckDuckGo): site:watchrepairtalk.com master craft winder

👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍🙂🙂🙂🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Nucejoe said:

Please talk watch repair on WRT forum

I could be wrong but I never saw anyone discuss anything else 🤔. After all, that's basically the only reason why we're here. So I think we're fine! 😃 The "Beginners section request" thread I believe was started in one of the WRT lounge forums, perhaps the "Relax Zone: Chat About Anything Here", but I could be wrong about that too.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, VWatchie said:

I could be wrong but I never saw anyone discuss anything else 🤔. After all, that's basically the only reason why we're here. So I think we're fine! 😃 The "Beginners section request" thread I believe was started in one of the WRT lounge forums, perhaps the "Relax Zone: Chat About Anything Here", but I could be wrong about that too.

Maybe it was or maybe it was not in the correct place for that discussion. But the OP isnt especially responsible or aware of which direction the talking is going to go. So maybe it should have been moved ? Bit sad and boring if you have to think everytime you post anything if that is going to diverse things a little bit dont you think. I hope nobody is saying that humor should be checked constantly, if thats the case then i wont be lasting too much longer 😥

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

So maybe it should have been moved ?

It was Rich, we just can't get there from here.

2 hours ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

I hope nobody is saying that humor should be checked constantly

I admit that I vacillate on the whole: "stay-on-point" v. "chat-like-you-know-them". Initially I was all "keep this discussion on topic" and that still seems to be the best way forward while dealing with a specific question or problem BUT after a while you begin to feel like you know the people you're replying to and it's natural to make a joke, comment about the weather or your health (or lack thereof) and once that happens a thread can go into the weeds quickly.

20 hours ago, Paul80 said:

Seemed a little Draconian

Indeed.

It could have easily been LOCKED with a final message to the effect of: "OK, enough. I've heard you and choose to leave the board sub-forums the way they are at this time."

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, grsnovi said:

BUT after a while you begin to feel like you know the people you're replying to and it's natural to make a joke, comment about the weather or your health (or lack thereof) and once that happens a thread can go into the weeds quickly.

I agree G that things can quickly go off topic once another aspect surfaces, but it often does come back to the original question. Surely nobody takes offence to some temporary friendly banter. Do they ??

• Like 1