What's a good way to get a bunch of shock set stones to practice on?

So, after I lost both the stone and spring on the balance side I was extra careful taking the stone/setting out of the main plate. Kept the spring in place.

While I was worrying about how I was going to lube the stone, I wanted to make sure that I had the flat side up so I stuck the stone to some Rodico so I figure out which side was flat and prying it off the Rodico, I (again) lost the stone. All of this is OK, I'm working on the Seagull ST36 (actually the first of 2). Before I go bugger up any other shock spring set stones I think I ought to get a bunch of junk and take the shock set stones out, clean, lube and replace them.

I did get the setting back into the plate and secured the spring.

This lot looks like it ought to have 7 shock-mounted balance staves. It should be here within 30 days. Coming from the UK.

7 shock.jpg

Edited by grsnovi
added shot of recently purchased lot
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, grsnovi said:

So, after I lost both the stone and spring on the balance side I was extra careful taking the stone/setting out of the main plate. Kept the spring in place.

While I was worrying about how I was going to lube the stone, I wanted to make sure that I had the flat side up so I stuck the stone to some Rodico so I figure out which side was flat and prying it off the Rodico, I (again) lost the stone. All of this is OK, I'm working on the Seagull ST36 (actually the first of 2). Before I go bugger up any other shock spring set stones I think I ought to get a bunch of junk and take the shock set stones out, clean, lube and replace them.

I did get the setting back into the plate and secured the spring.

Practice, practice, practice...

Maybe go for a lot sale on eBay?

Best way G. I spent a couple of months after xmas stripping down old quartz. I picked up around 500 movements  for 40 quid. The practice went a long way to me become really proficient at using tweezers. I never worry about losing anything now. I still have 350 to sort through one day lol. Theres a new guy on youtube worth watching,  someone here mentioned it earlier. Its about f...ing time. Hes really good swears a bit , like Bunn if you've watched him. 

10 hours ago, grsnovi said:

So do I. A lot after loosing springs, jewels and screws... 🙂 

It goes with the territory mate. Ive have said this many times to other folk here that were getting frustrated. As soon as you can feel something rising inside you, stop what you are doing push your chair away from your bench and go have a cuppa or whatever chills you out.  Then come back an hour later when things have settled inside. I have a wicked temper so i often needed to do this, very rarely  now though. 🙂

4 hours ago, gbyleveldt said:

I swear all the time. Apparently it's a sign of a weak mind - clearly I'm in vegetable territory then. But it's like telling an Italian he needs to keep his hands still while talking, not gonna happen 

Haha funny you should say that, i do that and my great grandma was Italian. 

2 hours ago, RichardHarris123 said:

I have a reasonable vocabulary but sometimes an expletive best.  Boll#£ks is quite mild but works in multiple cases. 

Haha. I  adjectively over embellish all of mine 🤣

Maybe I'll but a quantity of 1.2mm stones and practice lifting and turning them over. Probably would have been cheaper than buy a load of junk. I'm amazed that my wife still seems supportive of my folly...  🙂 

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, grsnovi said:

Maybe I'll but a quantity of 1.2mm stones and practice lifting and turning them over. Probably would have been cheaper than buy a load of junk. I'm amazed that my wife still seems supportive of my folly...  🙂 

You'll get there G. I had to radically alter my grip and feel perception.  I’ve been a rough arsed joiner/builder for nearly forty years with quite big over strong hands. With having to have an If it doesn't fit or move then force it attitude sometimes. That certainly doesn't transfer over to watch repair. Try a bunch of knackered quartz they are much smaller and cheaper, that worked really well for me.