WOTD (watch of the day)

grsnovi

I'd gotten each of my five brothers a nice watch when they turned 50. They wanted to get me something when I turned 65 (3 years ago Friday) and although they wanted to spend more than this, I really liked the look of this Bulova.

wotd.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You know, I didn't mean to start my own WOTD thread and honestly didn't see the other one yesterday. But it seems to have turned into Andy's comments in general... 🙂

I was going to post a chronograph today (in honor of my comments elsewhere) but all three of mine need batteries (I said I never wear them). This is another Bulova. It's been snorkeling with me in Grand Cayman, Mexico and Hawaii. Today it's going with me to get a shot in my shoulder that will hopefully help my "frozen shoulder" un-freeze. My appointment is in an hour from the time shown.

I certainly don't plan to do a post like this every day (my selection is pretty boring). I do hope others (even Andy) will post what they're wearing.

wotd2.jpg

Edited by grsnovi
added note

Not a bad idea; WOTD. Many other forums do have such a thread 👍

Here's my today's watch; a modern version of the old Russian "Strela". The old version (IMHO real) Strela had a Poljot 3017 (Venus 150/152) movement. Next there are Strela's with the Poljot 3133 (Valjoux 7734) movement and the modern Strela has the Chinese Seagull 1901 (Venus 175) movement; apart from the looks, not much Russian left.

But, it suited my needs 🙂  I wanted a modern 21,600bph column chronograph, in a modern 40mm housing with a homage to the old (now $$$ and most likely worn-out) Strela. Bought 2nd hand (3-years old and in absolute mint condition) and after some minor beat & daily-rate adjustments it now runs (on my wrist) spot-on, straight lines with an amplitude of 320 degrees (*assumed 52˚ lift-angle) and 0.0ms beat-error. No need for a service yet but I'm looking forward, at some time in the future, to tear the column-chronograph apart 🙂

* "Nobody" seems to know the official lift-angle, so if anybody has the official data of the Seagull ST1901 (or the ST19xx's line), I would very much like to hear ....... 😉

IMG_1820.thumb.JPG.c5e6602afbe1395facf0389a194aa232.JPG

Edited by Endeavor
  • Like 2

I've been proudly wearing my recently serviced (and first chrono) Poljot 3133 "Blue Angels" Navitimer. I think it looks great.

Although it resembles (🤣) another "Navitimer", there is one crucial difference. On this one the bezel does not rotate, so all the scales on the bezel and dial don't do anything - they're just for show. On the Breitling version they work as a circular slide rule for calculating speeds, distances, fuel burn etc. Still, it cost me about 1/15 of the price of an "real" one, so I'm happy. 

Now, what next?  I need to check out those Strela's @Endeavor 😃

_a.thumb.jpg.b765712799ab9ae6379dab84d6eeba32.jpg

_b.thumb.jpg.c9cd6bec70970ba2b789afdb569212bc.jpg

• Like 4

Yes, I used to have the Poljot "Antonov" which has the same bezel. It's a nice looking watch but as with yours, it has some, lets be polite; additional "decoration".

Antonov.jpg.69f94877805d555edf296c9741794aae.jpg

If you like to check out the Strela's; be aware that the prices asked for the real (Poljot 3017) Strela's are climbing per day and it's a minefield out there. Even though the looks may be good, but you may not get were you are hoping & paying for !!

After all those years I'm a bit done with worn-out, tinkered to dead chronographs. I much rather pay the extra for NOS or, if those options aren't available, a watch an alternative modern movement. Obviously I do prefer the NOS option ...... so much more pleasure to work on and the end result is as you were expecting ! 🙂

Edited by Endeavor
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, mikepilk said:

On this one the bezel does not rotate, so all the scales on the bezel and dial don't do anything - they're just for show.

A not-always-respected convention is that on a scale which doesn't rotate numbers or letter from 4 to 8H are printed upright. You can see that done on Strela above, but not on the Polijot.

• Thanks 1

On 6/21/2022 at 12:27 PM, Kalanag said:

It’s a quartz movement, is it?

Yes it is. Oddly enough I have quartz watches that are 40 years old running like champs - never having been "serviced" other than a battery change.

Those watches above are indeed beauties. After I do whatever it is I'm going to do to the recently acquired Pobeda, maybe I should look at other Russian watches (however I'll try not to source from Ukraine - at least in the short-term).

1 hour ago, jdm said:

A not-always-respected convention is that on a scale which doesn't rotate numbers or letter from 4 to 8H are printed upright

A detail that I'm not sure I'd ever even notice even if I had one of each type! Thanks jdm!

Edited by grsnovi

I now noticed that there is already much longer (since 2015) and still current existing thread  Watch of Today;

I think I'll contribute to that one instead of having two of the same threads running parallel 😉

Edited by Endeavor