Cartier Santos Medium - how to open case?

I'm relatively new to watches but bought a modern Cartier Santos on eBay and want to check the movement. Even though the warranty card and hangtags match the watch engraving, apparently there have been a lot of great Santos fakes with a working case serial number but a replica movement.

I tried using a standard eyeglass flathead screwdriver to remove the back case screws, but it didn't seem to fit. Does anyone know the proper size screwdriver for a Santos-Medium case? 

Is viewing the movement as simple as unscrewing a few screws and then the case will easily pop off?

32 minutes ago, Carter123 said:

I'm relatively new to watches but bought a modern Cartier Santos on eBay and want to check the movement. Even though the warranty card and hangtags match the watch engraving, apparently there have been a lot of great Santos fakes with a working case serial number but a replica movement.

I tried using a standard eyeglass flathead screwdriver to remove the back case screws, but it didn't seem to fit. Does anyone know the proper size screwdriver for a Santos-Medium case? 

Is viewing the movement as simple as unscrewing a few screws and then the case will easily pop off?

Would opening the watch void the warranty? 

Some photos of the watch would help us help you. Thanks.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Carter123 said:

Hi Carter. Is this the same watch you were having trouble with random stopping when crown pulled to hand set ?

6 hours ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Hi Carter. Is this the same watch you were having trouble with random stopping when crown pulled to hand set ?

No, I returned that one. I ordered a new one that passed ebay authenticity, but I saw a thread on another forum where the exact same watch passed the test but ended up being fake. Apparently Cartier burns extra supply but keeps the movements for the next round of watches. Only problem is, not all the cases were destroyed. Criminals are taking those leftover cases and inserting fake  movements. The serial numbers will register on the Cartier website, but when sent in for service, the customer will find out the guts are fake. I want to make sure that's not what I have.

18 hours ago, Carter123 said:

Post a nice macro shot of the caseback. Are you sure you want to do this yourself ? Might sound simple but this is a 6 grand watch, if you slip inside the watch while taking the back off it could end up an expensive repair. Do you not think that ebay authenticated it ? 🤔 

35 minutes ago, grsnovi said:

Do you have a set of watchmakers screwdrivers? It looks like the 140 from my Bergeon set would work (just eyeballed based on the image here).

I just ordered a set and will receive today. Also wasn't sure what has to happen once I remove screws. Do I just turn the watch over and the case back will fall off or am I supposed to pry it with a screwdriver?

Without ever having cracked one of those open, I can't say. I would expect that with the screws out you ought to be able to get a smaller screwdriver under the lip of the back. JUST BE CAREFUL. You don't want to slip with your new, tiny screwdriver and scratch the back while removing the screws and you don't want to scratch either the case of the back. Be gentle. As was asked above: if you opening the back voids a warranty, you'll play h*ll getting satisfaction if the back is all scratched up. If they don't want you inside, there may have been Loctite applied to the screws and there is (likely) going to be some sort of gasket that will provide some sort of seal between the case back and the case.

8 hours ago, Carter123 said:

…Do I just turn the watch over and the case back will fall off or am I supposed to pry it with a screwdriver?

You might pry a bit but should use a case knife instead to prevent leaving marks. Your finger nail will do it most likely.

Don‘t touch the screws at the front! As a beginner you‘ll risk leaving visible marks and won‘t get new screws from anywhere. Watch youtube videos beforehand where the right fit between screwdriver blade and screw slot is shown!

Edited by Kalanag
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Kalanag said:

You might pry a bit but should use a case knife instead to prevent leaving marks. Your finger nail will do it most likely.

Don‘t touch the screws at the front! As a beginner you‘ll risk leaving visible marks and won‘t get new screws from anywhere. Watch youtube videos beforehand where the right fit between screwdriver blade and screw slot is shown!

I was able to open the case but the screws were so small I did end up marking them a bit. But they're so tiny I don't think anyone would notice.

Good news is the movement is real.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1