Eta 2824 Quandry

So I found a junker in a watch bin and decided to take a look at it. The movement turns out to be a 2824 which surprised, but pleased me to no end. I cleaned it, replaced a broken jewel, replaced the 2nd wheel and the hair spring,  oiled and regulated it. It now runs beautifully. The problem comes when I re-case the watch. Everything goes smoothly until I try to reinstall the stem and crown. When I push in the stem, not only does it not want to go in (a problem that doesn't happen when the movement isn't inside the case), but the balance wheel stops completely until I pull the stem back out. It doesn't lock into place or anything. If the movement isn't in the case, everything works as it should. Am I missing something???

Just a thought is the case in the correct position i.e. is the stem holes in the case & the movement aligned. Another thought does this calibre have a hack if so this could be the area to investigate for the fault.

I would also check the hack first if it is present; if the end has gotten out of the groove on the sliding pinion or bent in some way, that could be a problem, but I would expect that would happen even if it was out of the case. It could be that the end of the stem isn't going into the hole at the end because of a misalignment with the case, but that's a shot in the dark.

Yesterday I had basically the same situation on a completely different movement. I doubt it was the same issue as you have, but I'll share anyway in case it might be helpful. I have a Seagull ST19 manual wind chronograph which is based on the Venus 175. I serviced it months ago, and it worked great, but then last week, it stopped. It would run unless the stem was pushed in all the way, in which case it would come to an immediate stop. I removed the movement ring around the movement, and it would run even with the stem pushed in all the way with no movement ring. I then found that the screws on the train bridge had become loose, and when the stem was pushed in, it would put pressure on the train bridge, which would cause misalignment of the pivots, excessive friction, and stop the watch. I'd be surprised if that was your issue, but maybe it might give you some ideas. 

So I figured out the problem. The retaining ring around the movement was pushing it too tightly into the case, so every time I inserted the stem, its pressure was causing the balance to shift out of place. I ended up pulling out the ring an filing it down a bit. It's now working like a charm. Thanks for your help guys!