Help required with Witschi Q Test 4100

Hey everybody,

Recently I was extremely lucky to come across a Q Test 4100 in apparently excellent condition for a very reasonable price. The seller sent me a video showing the unit in operation and all seemed fine.

Once I received it and powered it up I noted the left LED display wasn't working. I've taken a quick look inside for any loose connections but everything seemed ok.

I'm hoping someone may have some experience with these devices or are perhaps an electronic whiz and can point out something obvious I'm missing? Is there a service manual available I can take a look at?

6 hours ago, sok76 said:

The seller sent me a video showing the unit in operation and all seemed fine.

Once I received it and powered it up I noted the left LED display wasn't working. I've taken a quick look inside for any loose connections but everything seemed ok.

was it working in the video?

I have a witschi 5000. It's basically like two thirds year machine in width and it just missing the bits on the right-hand side the power supply the meter is all about stuff. I remember in the past it would give me issues conveniently I can't remember what the issues were it was too long ago. I disassemble it I'm pretty sure they send off some of the part numbers they don't let you know what they are at least some of them. Which is always amusing because if I was a whatever there is ways of figuring out what the integrated circuits are if you really have to. So on several occasions had taken apart and at some point in time must've figured out the problem because it hasn't given me a problem after that.

one of the things that might even be as things like the integrated circuit sockets going bad with time or basically alft fully integrated circuit output it back in again then as far as I know they don't give you schematics because they just don't although you could ask I suppose. I remember somebody asked Vibrograf for service manual for the tube machine and they said it's obsolete here's your schematic. But I have a weird feeling or not could be that lucky

The video showed both displays functioning, so I don't think the issue is anything too serious. Witschi were kind enough to send me a PDF manual via email so I may try my luck again and ask for a schematic too!

4 minutes ago, praezis said:

Some time ago I read that EC demands, manufacturers have to supply service docs if they want to make business in EC.

But seems nobody cares, esp. Witschi.

Frank

I've gotten schematics from Greiner for older equipement, they've always been helpful when I call. They don't have everything, but they give what they have (I got one for a machine made in the 60s!).

Yes, Greiner was (still is?) helpful with schematics. They even sent me some original piezos for their watch microphone - long ago. 
Klein, now their German owner, however never supplied any schematic for his TMs.

Frank