The KIF spring on the balance cock of a Lemania 1275 crumbled due to corrosion, meaning I need to replace it. I can't find a technical spec of the movement, however, so I'm relying on my own measurements.

Cousins list many. I'm sure I need a type 1 (the Trior) but there are 3 sizes. Reliably measuring the broken one I have is a challenge. But I can measure the bottom one, which I believe to be the same size and by my callipers comes in at 1.75mm. The trouble is none on the list are this size. (See image from Cousins)

Further the chaton diameter measurement (of the shock jewel) measures at 1.35mm on my callipers. Not even close to the measurements on the KIF graphic, which I assume are for a different part of the chaton.

So, I'm doubting my tools, the century I'm living in and also my French. Any thoughts on what I might do to divine the correct part? Or is it a matter of sourcing a second-hand balance cock rather than ordering new?

In short, help! And thanks.

kif.jpg

Thanks. That's a great resource (I found a copy linked elsewhere on here) but only a subset of the Incabloc versions of this Lemania chrono movement seem to be listed. (1280, 1281.) The KIF versions (mine's a 1275) aren't listed in there. So, still searching.

lenaia-inca.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

An update, should anybody need to know in the future. This calibre, the Lemania 1275 works with the 1-4 KIF Trior springs (top and bottom) – that's the 1.65mm version in the image in my opening post.

I bought a micrometer in the end and managed to get a close enough measurement of the existing spring to take a punt on the right size. These KIF Triors are the fiddliest little rascals to install though, I can tell you. I missed Incabloc while installing the cap jewels, I must say.

• Like 2

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• Dell fancy a challenge🤣   https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/285785684626?itmmeta=01HT29WVJY21Q94C73GYHGBTFX&hash=item428a277a92:g:15YAAOSwNRVmBAUz&itmprp=enc%3AAQAJAAAA0DIe4QLQBW66rSyIMiyBuk8GY%2B86pQ%2BQnxGbcNq7egAGe5DIs9YMmiWJIbZtMSxwNJIiJxuojbq523IeUSBQ6pJEIQ0tfz2ChrBR03BksmKINyklg1IK4GAfAcYY9Hta9wVeSZSZN7ZCNAfZTgKs9c4%2BUIUZ3Qjc3QjUXDn2uPRo1FiYOEewMG5A26EXb%2BclBgrqtbOmM6P3bea%2F8ZImOAXNI1HtbmtMk84pIGoM6ISwaM1PKFuADtTFMccS5e3ZjndCbXYXHrW3CecsV0edw3M%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR8q588nQYw Darwin’s theory of evolution has not been proven to be absolutely.  😀 
    • A already know the size movement I have the problem is the dial a had purchased has a dimension 20.6mm wide a want to find a watch case that going to fit the dial perfectly 
    • Hi.  I would like to take issue here regarding battery driven , watches, clocks,etc. I will and do repair these clocks in fact I have sever al in my collection as well as the regular mechanical ones. I have one on my mantle piece over 60 years old tha belonged to my wife’s Aunt,  long gone Iam afraid and it has been cleaned etc and never missed a beat and is accurate. Every one has their preduices as regards Electrical /electronic Horology but I regard it as part of the progress time line of the art of Horology and to be treated as such. Like Darwin’s theory of evolution it evolved.  Two cavemen knocking rocks together and a shard broke off , looking at it he worked out if it was stuck on the end of a stick he would have a spear. Likewise his pal seeing what he was up to picked up a piece  and did the same, now that’s evolution. Some clockmaker decided to build a clock that ran with a battery and no spring to wind up and break, progress and both the mechanical and battery driven clocks evolved, the battery ones got better to the point that if it broke you changed the complete unit. Likewise watches did the same but both can be repaired by people who approach Horology with an open mind without preduice.  We all have our likes and dislikes bu I for one would never dismiss any technology because I don’t like it.   The mobile phone is a good example of modern technology at work as is the automotive industry. There buttons and switches in my car I don’t use because to me they are not nesessary but I still drive the car.
    • I haven't gone through all the reading of what it might be or not. The first thing I would do if nothing obvious stands out is replace the mainspring, you have to start at the source of the power. Nine times out of ten that is the problem.  
    • Haha. You're just in a wicked mood today John 😅