New Staking Set

Davey57

I have bought myself a staking set. It's a K&D Inverto in really good order and to me looks complete. I was checking all the different attachments and came across a couple with rust spots but have cleaned them up and they are fine. There are a couple of bits that look to me as if they might be siezed but I just wanted to make sure that they are intended to move before I try and release them. Not the best of pics but here they are.

post-923-0-87295800-1433184615_thumb.jpg

I imagine the centre bit should be free to slide in the slot?

Am I correct before I go any further?

Many thanks

Hi Davey,

Those stumps are for tightening cannon pinions. The pinion rests in the V notch and a corresponding rounded end chisel shaped stake is slid down between the ears and struck to tighten the pinion. I'll edit later with the number of the stakes.

I looked at my stakes, no number. The stump/stakes are sold as a set, large and small, #323 is for pocket watches and #323b is for wrist watches. The stakes resemble hollow ground screwdrivers and will slide easily into the ears of the stumps. Hope that helps.

Stu

Thanks Stu for taking the time to explain that to me, it's very helpful. The thing that made me wonder whether the inner part moved at all is because looking from the top down, the piece that has a notch in, where the pinion would presumably rest, appears to be slightly out of line with the slots either side. Are these pieces supposed to be free to swivel within the main body?

Dave

No, Dave, the center piece should not move. The stump pictured on the right looks to be altered. The ears should extend higher. It also looks a little bent. It should still work correctly assuming you have the proper stakes.

See this thread, I posted a pdf from K&D that may be helpful:

http://www.watchrepairtalk.com/topic/1074-staking/

Stu