Cap jewels I am unfamiliar with.

35985188_CM220612-1327420012.thumb.jpg.efbe03d9710debcc27a9298f9107eae8.jpg

Sorry for the picture quality, I can't seem to get it to focus today.

The two triangular cap jewels:

What type are they and do I just rotate them from inside of the brass setting or am I supposed to interact with the setting, somehow, removing it from over top of the jewel?  Rotating them makes sense but I didn't want to just start shoving them around (I have no replacements).

Thanks for your time.

Shane

Edited by Shane

It would be nice to have of who made the watch that would help if were trying to look up information.

Then a lot of the jewels aren't meant to come apart. Even things that have Springs a lot of time are not meant to be disassembled. So basically it means you clean them when they're assembled and your oil from the backside. Fortunately somewhere yesterday we did do a discussion on oiling from the backside which would cover the situation

What I am working on is a Felsa 1560, 25 Jewel movement.  I tried gently nudging a jewel but it didn't move with what I thought was a fair amount of force.

After cleaning, I looked a bit closer and it appears that the brass ring has a triangular cutout that resricicts any rotation of the cap jewel.  It will not rotate out of position from the three retaining tabs without a vertical movement (unlikely).  The two parts snap into an annulus around the inside of the setting.  Disassembly does not look possible without damaging it irreversibly.

2109470135_IMG_20220612_2024192.thumb.jpg.c215fd7c9c2be1762d0b0a77cbae565d.jpg

I'm leaning towards oiling from the back.

Shane

I also came across similar jewels in Accutron 218s. I was told to leave them alone and just clean them in the ultrasound. I suspect the 3 notches are not designed for any special tool to remove them but to allow cleaning fluid to circulate between the cap and hole jewel.

I oil them from the hole side.

20210609_213707.thumb.jpg.06fd7cdfa57d8a09a5f62403bfccc28f.jpg

28 minutes ago, HectorLooi said:

I also came across similar jewels in Accutron 218s. I was told to leave them alone and just clean them in the ultrasound. I suspect the 3 notches are not designed for any special tool to remove them but to allow cleaning fluid to circulate between the cap and hole jewel.

I took a quick look at the 218 service manual as I thought it actually said that I don't see it. But I do know that they were specifically designed not to come apart. The notches are specifically for the cleaning fluid to get in. They have some other versions that have little spring is on top that look like their shock protected but the spring is only to hold the end stone in place and they Not were meant to come apart either.

This is where if a service manual existed for the watch it would probably tell us don't take this apart because. But then we end up with a lot of watches that don't have service manuals and somehow you're supposed to know what you're supposed to be doing even if you do not. Basically stuff like this represents a problem for everybody.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Shane said:

What I am working on is a Felsa 1560, 25 Jewel movement.  I tried gently nudging a jewel but it didn't move with what I thought was a fair amount of force.

After cleaning, I looked a bit closer and it appears that the brass ring has a triangular cutout that resricicts any rotation of the cap jewel.  It will not rotate out of position from the three retaining tabs without a vertical movement (unlikely).  The two parts snap into an annulus around the inside of the setting.  Disassembly does not look possible without damaging it irreversibly.

2109470135_IMG_20220612_2024192.thumb.jpg.c215fd7c9c2be1762d0b0a77cbae565d.jpg

I'm leaning towards oiling from the back.

Shane

Eyup Shane . Good policy to have mate don't force anything. If it looks at all risky take your caveman mentality down a few notches when he starts to kick in.  I'm fact take him out of the equation altogether, it just won't end well. Ugg doesn't have the faintest idea what you are doing or what you are dealing with. The closest he ever got to  the concept of time is when it got dark it was hit the cave floor. 

9 hours ago, HectorLooi said:

I also came across similar jewels in Accutron 218s

I find the holes in the 218S HectotLooi posted interesting.  They don't appear round but multifaceted instead.  That was not free or as easy as putting in a round hole.  It had to be broached or upset into that shape.  Why did/would they do that?  This is going to be taking up some mental horsepower today or at least on the morning commute.

Thanks for the input.

Shane

On 6/13/2022 at 6:40 AM, Shane said:

They don't appear round but multifaceted instead.

Yeah, NO.  I blew it up on the large monitor at work instead of looking at it on the small screen of my phone and it just looks like they did a poor job of deburring the holes.  There is a similar pattern around the hole to the right yet the hole does looks round.

18 hours ago, grsnovi said:

I don't think the jewels in your original photo look anything like the obviously round jewels

Yes, I believe they were just being used to prove the point that some cap jewels do not get removed upon pain of resetting.