Seiko 7006-7002 (7006A) movement removal

Hi guys,

I have here a Seiko 7006-7002 (7006A) and I’m not sure how to remove the movement from the case.
I removed the gasket, spacer ring and crown and stem but the movement is not dropping out when I turn it upside down. If I grab the post by the click and try to move the movement, it’s not budging whatsoever, not even the slightest of movements, as if it was welded.
If you look at the close up image, you will see another ring below the movement. If I loosen the dial screws (now closed again), I can rotate this ring, within the recess in the ring, and from what I can see, it doesn’t go into the case, it looks like the whole thing should come out when I turn it upside down.
If you look carefully, you will see my finger (the pink lines) between the ring and the case so that makes me think it isn’t a front loader because there is nothing in the way and I guess the recess in the ring is there because of the tube being in the way so it can come out of the case but it isn’t coming out.
Is this a front loader?

PZZA3240.JPG

PZZA3243.JPG

58 minutes ago, PeterS said:

Is this a front loader?

I don’t think so, because Seiko 5 construction "rules" do not allow that, but you need to post pictures from the top and side to tell. Also, on Seiko there is a framed code on the caseback which indicates the construction type.

• Like 2

Hi.

If it's like all of my Seiko 5's then it should just drop out the back but sometimes the thin plastic dial spacer you noticed is a bit of a fiddle to keep in place, especially if it's cracked and some watch rebuilders use glue, and it the use too much glue it can stick the ring, dial and movement to the case, I wonder if this is what's happened with yours, might just need a touch of brute force and ignorance to break the glues grip, should just need a slight twist of the movement to break it's grip on the case.

• Like 1

Thank you for getting back to me guys, much appreciated.

I’ve attached the pictures, if you need any additional ones, let me know. I note that there is a lip on the bezel at 6 o'clock for easy removal of the bezel.

If I loosen the dial feet, the movement is moving and the ring that’s between the movement and the dial also moves but the dial keeps it all in place, at least that’s what it seems what is holding it.

Kalanag – I think you can help because I have exactly the same watch.

PZZA3246.JPG

PZZA3247.JPG

PZZA3248.JPG

PZZA3249.JPG

PZZA3250.JPG

The movement shouldn't be able to move just by loosening the dial feet screws, the dial feet should stop it moving, if you can move the movement independent to the dial the feet must be broken so glue may be involved to stop the dial moving, if the dial is glued then the movement will not come out because the hands are in the way, you may get lucky removing the bezel but it my just be cosmetic with the crystal still attached to the case.

I suppose you could try refitting the back and using compressed are through the winding stem hole to pop the crystal out, provided you have access to compressed air, it can be done with a large syringe but I have only seen that work on a case were the crystal was designed to pop out, ie with a front loader.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, PeterS said:

…Kalanag – I think you can help because I have exactly the same watch.

I found the photos looking up the case number in the www. Unfortunately I couldn‘t find any hints concerning the disassembly. It can be seen that there is no letter on the case back indicating the construction type. Your photos let me think that the bezel could be pried off. Have you tried that? I don’t think it’s a front loader. But if the crystal is off you can carefully push the movement from the front side.

Edited by Kalanag
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Kalanag said:

It can be seen that there is no letter on the case back indicating the construction type.

It is stamped letter A type, the framed 2 letters code came later. It's a very common regular case type. Front loaders watches have the dial wider than the case opening, which doesn't happen here. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Paul80 said:

Looking at the pictures again could it be something as simple as the Crown Tube has been pushed in too far and is touching the movement, something looks amiss about it to me. 

There seems to be a gap between the crown tube and the movement, difficult to tell from the photos. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, RichardHarris123 said:

There seems to be a gap between the crown tube and the movement, difficult to tell from the photos. 

The crown tube keeps the mov.t down in place. It is removed lifting the opposite side, and refitted the reverse way. 

• Like 1

Many thanks to all of you for your help.
The movement is out of the case. I took the bezel off and used crystal lift.
It wasn’t easy, it didn’t want to go, I had to use quite a lot of force to get the crystal out but it’s out now and I can get on with the rest.

• Like 1

I think it was the dial, I'm not 100% sure but I think that's what it was. As soon as I removed the bezel and the crystal there was no issue removing it. I don't think it was the crown tube. There is a recess in the ring for the tube and if you look at the very first images, you can see a clear gap there with my finger prints showing so the tube wasn't obstructing it.
No damage to the dial or anything except the second hand is slightly bent, nothing major. I used a crystal lift to get it out and it's not ideal for tension rings but it's out now. I of course couldn't lift it with the crystal lift and I had to hold it horizontally and twist (for about two minutes) hence not a surprise that the second hand looks like a pocket watch minute hand. I'm glad it wasn't the hour or minute hand.

The crown tube still looks like it's been pushed to far in.

You can see in the picture, it might not be touching the movement but it does encroach over the dial, that may be enough to stop it just dropping out as it should.

Still you got there in the end, did the crystal lift do any damage to the crystal as the tension ring would hinder the correct working of the lift or did you get lucky ?

• Like 1

I think you're right, the tube doesn't look quite right but that wasn't the issue. The movement wouldn't move at all. The only thing I could grab safely was the post by the click which I did with my tweezers to give it a bit of a wiggle but it was like as if it was welded, there was no movement at all, completely solid. If it was the tube there would be some movement and the tube would obstruct it from coming out but that wasn't the case. I didn't touch the tube and when I removed the crystal the movement dropped out.

Difficult to say with the crystal and the crystal lift. I was wondering the same when I was tightening the lift really hard what the crystal is going to look like but the crystal is in such a state that I can't tell. It doesn't look any worse than the rest of the crystal so I think the claws didn't mark it too much if at all. Certainly no cracks or anything like that. I was surprised.

Edited by PeterS

Hi Peter  jus for the sake of it have you tried to pop the movemrnt back in as is  just to see how it rsts in the case. Is there a lip that the dial rests on and is held by the crystal and bezel. Its a bit puzzling thats all. did it drop out thr front or the back ?  If it came out thro thr front  it looks like a front loader . was it a split stem ? .  cheers

• 1 month later...

Guys, I’m so sorry replying a month later, so embarrassing. I don’t get the notification emails anymore that someone replied to a thread I’m following even though I’ve not changed my email or anything as far as I know (as I’m getting older I sometimes do things and I forget I’ve done them).

It’s been serviced now and it goes in the case and out of the case no problem at all and it sits inside the case and against the crystal perfectly.
It came out of the back. There is a spacer between the dial and the movement that’s removed when the dial is off. The dial rests against the crystal, it doesn’t move when it’s inside so I don’t think there was any need to glue it so I’m not entirely sure what the problem was, I couldn’t see any signs of glue anywhere, I don’t think it was glued but there could have been a tiny dab of CA glue here and there, who knows. Most importantly it’s fine now.

Thank you for your help guys and I do apologies for replying so late, I only saw your posts when I went back to this thread to look at the images of the same watch Kalang posted. I wish I was getting the notification emails when people reply to threads I’m following.

• Like 1