Car boot clock.

One here for OH and clock boy, just picked this up. I know very little about clocks but i absolutely loved this and had to have it. Great if you can give me any feedback on it please chaps. I cant answer anything just now as im working this afternoon , but  i will as soon  as i get home and look around it.

20220609_112151.jpg

20220609_112137.jpg

20220609_112126.jpg

21 minutes ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

One here for OH and clock boy, just picked this up. I know very little about clocks but i absolutely loved this and had to have it. Great if you can give me any feedback on it please chaps. I cant answer anything just now as im working this afternoon , but  i will as soon  as i get home and look around it.

20220609_112151.jpg

20220609_112137.jpg

20220609_112126.jpg

I've no idea either, will be interesting to hear their thoughts. 

7 minutes ago, HectorLooi said:

Looks like a musical alarm clock. I restored something like this last year.

20211203_210903.thumb.jpg.6bb5dfd978446fa20400290fd16fab2f.jpg

👍👍 Hector. Yes it is and its beautiful to listen to . I will want to identify the tune. Its has a sub second and an alarm time set on the face. Do you know where your restored one was made ?

1 hour ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

20220609_112151.jpg

20220609_112137.jpg

20220609_112126.jpg

Thanks Hector and kalanag. Fantastic help from you both 👍👍

A translated citation from my second link:

„…these movements and case shapes were produced by almost all German watch factories from about 1900 to 1940. With a variety of options: bell, music box, everything that somehow makes noise and shows the purpose of the clock: A toy clock to learn what a clock is and what you can use it for. In the specified time to find in almost every middle-class household to explain a clock to the offspring…

…About the movement itself: Who exactly brought this species to the market first, you will probably never find out. Junghans has claimed this, but it speaks against the fact that these movements were sold in exactly this design by BADUF, Kienzle, Mauthe, Schatz and many others. To my knowledge, Junghans has never issued licenses for replicas (exceptions confirm the rule). Also, these works are knitted quite simply…cheap sheet metal anchor escapement, lantern drives and very coarse gears. In addition, open main springs, very short running time of max. 36h. The housing is made of sheet iron and not particularly thickly nickel-plated. Please look at the aperture on the front with caution. Very thinly pressed brass sheet. The dial is made of cardboard and likes to disintegrate over time.“

Edited by Kalanag
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

👍👍 Hector. Yes it is and its beautiful to listen to . I will want to identify the tune. Its has a sub second and an alarm time set on the face. Do you know where your restored one was made ?

Thanks Hector and kalanag. Fantastic help from you both 👍👍

Mine supposed to be a Mauthe according to the seller but the mark on the dial is that of HAC. Both were from Germany.

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

I have to figure out how it works now. How to turn off the chime. The tick and toc is very loud.

In the second link there is said that the chime can not be shut off due to the cheap making of the movement 🙁

Here is the movement upside down:

https://www.antiques-atlas.com/antique/rare_junghans_early_carriage_alarm_clock/as512a391

I finally found the caliber: Junghans W10 (built 1876-1939)

Translated quote (deutsches uhren museum Blog)

„Alarm clock movement “W10” built millions of times and replicated by other watch companies.

In 1872 the twenty-year-old Arthur Junghans traveled to the United States.  In the motherland of industrial mass production he studied modern production methods. Back in Schramberg he introduced central elements to his company such as the use of stamped parts and simplified housings.

These new "American watches" were created on special machines to save material.  The individual parts were optimized for the fastest possible assembly.

The robust W10 alarm clock mechanism set standards for the entire region.  It was produced in huge quantities until the 1930s.  With this success Junghans rose to become the largest watch factory in Europe, if not the world, by 1910.

The alarm clock from the Black Forest became the cheapest clock at home and abroad.  Thanks to alarm clocks the Black Forest soon covered 60% of world exports of large clocks.“

Edited by Kalanag
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, oldhippy said:

The first link is just a variation it isn't the actual movement. 

Man you are right! I just realiced that I lost the track while searching the net…

It‘s not exactly the caliber 10 but should be the caliber 67 about which I haven‘t found details yet.

The NAWCC forum is a good source for information about the Junghans Joker too.

Edited by Kalanag
  • Thanks 1