Clock mainspring winder made in the UK

Found this mainspring winder that is made in the UK. I use a Ollie Baker but did have trouble sourcing one the Uk. The winder is a “Horowind” it certainly looks solidly built. At present the maker does not have a website but sells on eBay. I tried to get more information and was told they are in the process of putting up a YouTube demonstrating. 
 See link:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265727125835?hash=item3dde92294b:g:QV0AAOSwakpiny2w

Edited by clockboy

It looks easier to operate than the Ollie Baker. The click to change direction is far better than the Ollie which can be a bit fiddly. Also only two chucks required for the different size arbours. The Ollie requires changing arbour holders to match the different size arbours. It certainly looks solidly built. 

• Like 1

The one sold at Cousins is a very good copy of the Ollie. It might be the one I purchased. However you still have to purchase a set of let down keys such as these. 

7FA00FD5-6352-4F37-9D09-DB988659BB52.jpeg.95d9d0674037f81d9b26ce4b04496584.jpeg

Edited by clockboy

1 hour ago, oldhippy said:

This is very similar to the one I have. It will handle even the very large fusee mainsprings. Its a fraction of the cost of the others.  Just make sure you wear a pair of thick gloves when using. 

https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/mainspring-winder-bergeon

Before I got a Webster winder, I had something similar to this. Only used it once. It's just too scary for my liking.

Did you use containment rings with this style winder or did you grip the end of the spring with a long nose pliers?

1 hour ago, oldhippy said:

I used long nose pliers. This type doesn't have containment rings. 

4 hours ago, oldhippy said:

This is very similar to the one I have. It will handle even the very large fusee mainsprings. Its a fraction of the cost of the others.  Just make sure you wear a pair of thick gloves when using. 

https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/mainspring-winder-bergeon

I have have the slightly "fancier" version of that one, but have made up a collection of rings; I have done it with pliers but dang, it's scary. Although necessary for some springs like certain Zenith ones that have an attached tongue end like a watch mainspring.

Do you have a pic of the pliers you use? Have you had them slip? 😵

Just a bog standard pair like this. Slipping out of the pliers no not that I can recall. I have removed and inserted some really big fusee springs and never had any accident with clock springs. I must be lucky. 

Always get a pair with red handles they hide the blood. 🤣

download.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• 4 months later...
On 6/9/2022 at 2:49 AM, HectorLooi said:

Before I got a Webster winder

I just picked up a Webster from Timesavers for doing yet another Kundo anniversary(yes I know-glutton for punishment). Question: with this winder do I need to purchase seperate arbors or can I use the barrel arbor to uninstall/install mainspring? do I need letdown tools? 

I have never used that type. Didn't it come with instructions? I would have thought all the tools would be included. Just in case the paper work is missing you will find it here.

https://mb.nawcc.org/threads/re-post-of-webster-mainspring-winder-instructions.76702/#lg=post-575421&slide=0

Edited by oldhippy
  • Thanks 1

The original arbor will fit into the chuck without any problems. But you'll need a set of containment rings to capture the spring and remove it from the barrel.

The letdown tools are needed to power down the mainsprings safely before taking the plates apart. Don't be tempted to save on them. All of us who have, had black fingernails to show for our folly.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, oldhippy said:

Didn't it come with instructions?

I should have been more specific-I had just ordered  one but it hasn't arrived yet and sure it comes with instructions. Just didn't show any arbors with it. doesn't matter for now anyway-Timesavers just sent me an email stating that the winder is out of stock for maybe 6-8 weeks or better, and that their Ollie Baker is on a waiting list  first come first serve basis. so, its back to the ol' standby ebay. I looked for the style of winder that you used to use OH but I thought I might be patient hoping to find a good deal. Bergeon is out of the question. Prices are obnoxious. 

11 hours ago, HectorLooi said:

The original arbor will fit into the chuck without any problems. But you'll need a set of containment rings to capture the spring and remove it from the barrel.

The letdown tools are needed to power down the mainsprings safely before taking the plates apart. Don't be tempted to save on them. All of us who have, had black fingernails to show for our folly.

11 hours ago, HectorLooi said:

ouch.

I just replied to old H and I just made a successful bid on a used webster that comes with 9 sleeves and several containment clamps/rings. I went back to timesavers and bought the new arbor support attachment for it. I was trying to remember how I did the first clock as I recall I used the winding key as a letdown, but didn't have to-there was no power left in  the mainspring(i didn't have a winding tool yet either). is it ok to use the key for this? Otherwise I'll get the letdown tools.

Weasol was right-darn things are as addictive as they are frustrating. Why is that?🤔

A cheap version of a let down tool is a hardwood shaft with a slot cut in it to fit the key. fit over the key take up the slack and release the click and let the shaft rotate in your hand as a brake. Befor I built my own mainspring tool this is what I did you years and still got my own fingers.😆

• Like 2

6 hours ago, MechanicMike said:

I went back to timesavers and bought the new arbor support attachment for it.

The arbor support is a nice accessory to have. But as I use the Webster more and more, I find that it's not absolutely necessary. I just hold the barrel in a gloved hand and use it like the old English pattern winders.

And safety equipment is absolutely essential. I use a cut-proof glove on my left hand and sometimes a wrist guard for extra protection. I always imagine a mainspring breaking and the jagged end slitting my wrist. 🥴

I also use a face shield instead of just goggles. 

@oldhippy has taught my how to do some really scary things like removing a broken spring from the barrel, removing the tail of some mainsprings with a pair of long nose pliers and holding it till the power is released. And I thank God for every accident free adventure.

Stay safe and enjoy Mike.

• Thanks 1

I picked this up on ebay really cheap because someone listed it as a lathe attachment.  It is a Webster-style winder/unwinder.

I modified it by adding the 7/16 deep-well socket and the 1/2" male socket adapter.

The deep-well socket accepts the letdown tools listed earlier in this thread.

After I got this working, I found an Ollie Backer, so I don't use this one any more, but pretty proud of my mods.

2022-10-21 12_50_49-20221021_124253.jpg ‎- Photos.png

2022-10-21 12_50_35-20221021_124259.jpg ‎- Photos.png

• Like 1

On 10/20/2022 at 8:34 PM, HectorLooi said:

And safety equipment is absolutely essential.

absolutely agree. When I did the first one and I saw the mainspring I thought to myself, "that thing is a beast! a grenade just looking for an eye or some soft tissue to destroy!" got my old welding gloves on standby and broke out my old faceshield-thanks for the tip. Webster should be here tomorrow!