Favorite staking tool

Hello, I would like a litte advice, I got the option to buy this tool for arround 180USD and I'm wondering if you think this price is a good price for the condition.

It is the metal body version and missing the reaming stakes.

Also what is the best method to clean and mantain this tool? I'm a new member so probably better search through the forum 😅

s-l1600.png

37 minutes ago, joaquin said:

Hello, I would like a litte advice, I got the option to buy this tool for arround 180USD and I'm wondering if you think this price is a good price for the condition.

It is the metal body version and missing the reaming stakes.

Also what is the best method to clean and mantain this tool? I'm a new member so probably better search through the forum 😅

s-l1600.png

Hi joaquin. Ive just been watching this same one myself on ebay less than an hour ago. i was going to bid for it but the price went above what i thought it was worth at 143 gbp. I imagined trying to source the missing parts would not be easy.

2 minutes ago, Kalanag said:

The missing inserts (6 - 30) would concern me. I woul like to have such a tool set being 99% complete.

I did feel the same way about this one so i left it alone

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, watchweasol said:

Hi  You can purchase single stumps and stakes on ebay  at approx £7 a piece   so by the time you have replaced the missing parts ypu would have bought a new chinese version from Alo Express.

I have also think about the Chinese option but I have only find horia kind of staking, the ones with the micrometer and for what I have read this ones with the pushing lever are more versatile

Also maybe I can get away using the parts I have instead of the missing ones.

1 hour ago, Kalanag said:

The missing inserts (6 - 30) would concern me. I would like to have such a tool set being 99% complete.

What's the use for those missing parts?

So I can know what things I can't do 😅

52 minutes ago, joaquin said:

What's the use for those missing parts?

So I can know what things I can't do 😅

The primary parts missing are the reamers. Looks like a few pushers are missing too, but that's not a big deal. You can get a set of reamers from Horia that will work with this tool for about 200 bucks, so to get it fully functional you're at 400 or so, which honestly is OK for a tool like this, with all the other parts that are there.

One really nice thing with these as opposed to Seitz is the spindle for holding the reamers takes little precision collets, made by Schaublin. Those are 80-115 bucks each in the normal sizes (more for the more oddball ones). This set looks to have them all, which would be from 0.5mm to 3mm, with an additional (in the spindle in the pic) at 2.2mm, which for whatever reason is the body size of the reamers. These are often missing some to all of them. With the additional sizes you can easily hold drills and taps, a very useful thing.

It won't work with Seitz reamers since they are held in a special spindle by a taper fit. But it will work with Seitz pushers, which are reasonably priced from watch material suppliers.

Edited by nickelsilver
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you all for your answer, a lot of help.

I'm searching a manual for this tool so I can know how to use each part but only found one aboud KD staking tools.

Maybe someone knows where to get (or buy) a manual for this Favorite jewelling tool?

16 hours ago, nickelsilver said:

The primary parts missing are the reamers. Looks like a few pushers are missing too, but that's not a big deal. You can get a set of reamers from Horia that will work with this tool for about 200 bucks, so to get it fully functional you're at 400 or so, which honestly is OK for a tool like this, with all the other parts that are there.

Would the set of reamers from the image work for the favorite tool?

IMG_20220608_161155.jpg

10 minutes ago, joaquin said:

Would the set of reamers from the image work for the favorite tool?

IMG_20220608_161155.jpg

Possibly. The holder doesn't look to be 8mm, the size for the Favorite (and Seitz and Horia), but if the reamers themselves have a holding diameter in a normal metric size, they will probably fit one of the collets in the Favorite. But as these are American made and quite old, I wouldn't be surprised if they are inch on the body, and they really need to fit the holder correctly to turn true and work as they should. There are also quite a few missing sizes, 0.69, and all the ones above 1.69 to 3 (2.99)mm.

Hello again and thank you all for your help, here I am with more questions.

I'm trying to find a manual for the Favorite tool but I can't find one, at least so I can know what every piece does and what are the missing pieces.

Do you know where I can get a manual for this tool?

In the case I'm buying reamers by pieces, what are the most common sizes?

21 hours ago, nickelsilver said:

Possibly. The holder doesn't look to be 8mm, the size for the Favorite (and Seitz and Horia), but if the reamers themselves have a holding diameter in a normal metric size, they will probably fit one of the collets in the Favorite. But as these are American made and quite old, I wouldn't be surprised if they are inch on the body, and they really need to fit the holder correctly to turn true and work as they should. There are also quite a few missing sizes, 0.69, and all the ones above 1.69 to 3 (2.99)mm.

I have asked the seller and the reamers shanks measure 2mm in diameter

1 hour ago, joaquin said:

I have asked the seller and the reamers shanks measure 2mm in diameter

They should work then.

I have never seen a manual for the Favorite, but the Seitz manual should be available online, and the use is pretty much exactly the same.