Read out of timegrapher machine

Hello all been a little while since I posted on here. Why well I waiting on a mainspring for the Seiko I'm building.

I was going to title this post "someone pinched my decoder ring" but went with a straight forward title 

So I have had a watch automatic winder on a timegrapher 1000 with a settled reading of the following image

20220607_180321.thumb.jpg.3e3bdbd9f6c85ab5e89e63aa60f67c49.jpg

dial up and winder to the right (3 O'clock) so with out looking at the numbers I'm trying to work out what is wrong with this watch. As you can see the click are all over the place also there is a lot of inconsistence with the click.

what would you say is wrong with this new movement. Yep you read that right it's a brand new watch movement I have another movement with a very poor reserve power and I think that one I will try and clean the mainspring to see if that will help 

your timing machine is definitely telling you something you have a definite problem.

Brand-new movement what exactly does that mean? In other words you newly acquired a movement that was 100 years old in desperate need of servicing? The reason I joke about that is people purchase new old stock basically or movements that are new but conceivably their old. Some movements from some factories will come in little sealed packets or at least they ward exposed to the air for the last unknown quantity of years

then it would be helpful to have something beyond the word Seiko like a model number a caliber number of be helpful? Then can you manually wind the watch up? Then yes even the Seiko is that you cannot wind from the stem you the wind from the ratchet wheel

also the minor flaw of the Chinese timing machines are they do not actually have audio they have a horrible beeping sound. If you hold the watch close to your ear and listen to it how does it sound? This is where oftentimes listening to the audio you can hear things that sound undesirable and that tells you why it looks horrible on your timing machine.

then it would be nice to have a picture of the movement on the timing machine just because I want to see how you're actually holding it.

also if you move it around to a variety of positions like dial-up and then dial down and perhaps crown down allowing like 30 seconds between rotating the microphone do all of them look like this?

• Like 1

I found that the timing machine is sometimes not able to clearly analyse the received sound signals when the balance amplitude is very low and therefore the sound signal very weak. I‘ve seen a watch with 140° of amplitude where the Weishi displayed 220°. It would be interesting to see what the amplitude of this watch really is.

As John and Karl have mentioned, the amplitude looks really poor. Have you opened the watch yet? If so, can you visually check the amplitude? This would suggest to me that something is going on with the balance or hairspring. Is the watch magnetized? Are the jewels on the balance clean and lubricated properly?

When you said it was new, is it a new Chinese clone movement? If so, I read they ship unlubricated and unless serviced will only run about 2 years.

This looks like a flaw in the timing machine.  Software that lets you see a plot of the sound will tell you a lot.  There's free software that does this, but it helps to have knowledge with using computers to use it.

Can't be sure, but I think what you'd find if you investigated is that the the beat isn't a nice clean signal.  There's supposed to be three distinct ticks with the 3rd the loudest.  But there are more noises than that in there.

The timegrapher is picking one sound of many in the beat and saying, "this is THE beat," and that's where it draws the dot.  There's lots of stuff going on in that sound but all you get to see is one dot.  It picks the same sound in each beat for a while and you get the straightish lines for while.  What we might expect for a watch running at -22 s/d with 1.6 ms beat error.

But then it decides a different sound will be the beat where it draws the dot.  And this makes the line instantly jump vertically by the offset between where the old sound and the new sound are.  But other than this jump, the lines keep going exactly like they were before.

• Like 1