1 hour ago, RichardHarris123 said:

I can't find any markings on the Admes, any ideas? 

I assume you looked under the balance wheel for markings? Then we need a picture of the dial side without the dial and the diameter size of the movement. Often times when you take the dial off their may be a makers mark their. Otherwise we can use the setting components and the size to figure out what it may or may not be. This is where having a copy of the bestfit book physical is really nice but PDF is also nice. Because you can use that the lookup a heck of a lot of wristwatch movements.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, JohnR725 said:

I assume you looked under the balance wheel for markings? Then we need a picture of the dial side without the dial and the diameter size of the movement. Often times when you take the dial off their may be a makers mark their. Otherwise we can use the setting components and the size to figure out what it may or may not be. This is where having a copy of the bestfit book physical is really nice but PDF is also nice. Because you can use that the lookup a heck of a lot of wristwatch movements.

I'll remove the dial tomorrow. 

22 hours ago, WatchMaker said:

Good spot 

20220608_171438.jpg

As most of you know I am now an expert, I have diagnosed what is wrong with the Admes. I bet even Mark would have struggled with this one, hehe. 

20220608_175600.jpg

Ok, from ranfft, see screenshot and the closest from cousins, good enough match? 

Screenshot_20220608-183034_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220608-183022_Chrome.jpg

7 hours ago, RichardHarris123 said:

Good spot 

20220608_171438.jpg

As most of you know I am now an expert, I have diagnosed what is wrong with the Admes. I bet even Mark would have struggled with this one, hehe. 

20220608_175600.jpg

Ok, from ranfft, see screenshot and the closest from cousins, good enough match? 

Screenshot_20220608-183034_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220608-183022_Chrome.jpg

Yeah Rich, just in case you missed something that mainspring is broken mate. Not always easy to diagnose i know but the fact you have one piece of it and another piece of it, so in effect making two pieces of it and not the usual standard unbroken one piece of it, thats a fair clue to the fact that it is actually broken. If you need any more help or advice mate i'm always here for you. Unless it involves marriage or any kind of wierd sex stuff, in which case you're on your own mate 🙂

3 hours ago, WatchMaker said:

Did you ever doubt my identification skills?! 😮 😉

LOL ... glad you found that glitch with the mainspring. 😀

Would anyone ?  WM

50 minutes ago, JohnR725 said:

So what is your procedure for fixing a problem like this?

Service it and say a prayer even though I'm not religious.  It's actually running so yes a service, back on the machine and observer the results.  Hopefully even if it's not running well, it will be running good enough to narrow down any issues. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RichardHarris123 said:

Service it and say a prayer

What I was trying to figure out is so I'm going to guess what you mean by servicing is cleaning it so cleaning will fix the problem correct? Then if not the prayer will take care of anything else.

2 minutes ago, JohnR725 said:

What I was trying to figure out is so I'm going to guess what you mean by servicing is cleaning it so cleaning will fix the problem correct? Then if not the prayer will take care of anything else.

No cleaning may not fix the issues, so I will disassemble, inspect each part, clean, re-inspect each part, reassemble. Put back on the timegrapher and if the results aren't reasonable, seek advice.  I'm a relative newbie, servicing is one thing, fault diagnosis is another level. The prayer bit was a joke, I'm an atheist, no disrespect to religious people. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RichardHarris123 said:

It's looking good.  I'll post the results after I have service it, good or bad. 

good or BAD  !!!!!  Mate if you manage to make it worse than it already is then you need to sell your watch repair  tools and take up knitting instead  😉😉

29 minutes ago, JohnR725 said:

Go easy John. Rich is learning just like we all are. He did say he has just got his TG. 

9 minutes ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Go easy John. Rich is learning just like we all are. He did say he has just got his TG. 

Actually I'm going to follow your advice. Previously you had scolded me for not understanding how to work with newbies. So I decided the best approach to work with newbies is to walk away because anything I do will be not within newbie standards and frowned upon.

Although occasionally I get curious like in this discussion So ask a clarification and then I run away which I'm going to do so carry on you're doing fine.

2 hours ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Cool mate 👍 you have a digital snowglobe.

Do your research on the tg rich.  Knowing how the tg works  and what the tg can and can't do will help you to understand how you can diagnose issues.

3 minutes ago, JohnR725 said:

Actually I'm going to follow your advice. Previously you had scolded me for not understanding how to work with newbies. So I decided the best approach to work with newbies is to walk away because anything I do will be not within newbie standards and frowned upon.

Although occasionally I get curious like in this discussion So ask a clarification and then I run away which I'm going to do so carry on you're doing fine.

No offense meant John, your words just sometimes comes across as a little harsh and until someone gets to know you, this can be misunderstood as I did.  I know you are a kind soul otherwise you wouldn't be so helpful which I know you enjoy doing. Keep doing what you're doing you are a truly valued member and are held in high regard by everyone that knows you. Your advice is welcomed by newbies as well but sometimes above what a beginner can understand. No hard feelings John x

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JohnR725 said:

Don't run away, I need all the advice I can get.  Often it better to question someone rather than give them answers. 

• Like 2

On 6/10/2022 at 7:44 PM, RichardHarris123 said:

Often it better to question someone rather than give them answers. 

Usually in discussions I ask lots of questions.  Which sometimes irritates people who are seeking a quick answers as they just want a quick answer

Usual questions would be background history of the watch and why are you servicing it?  Often times people are attempting to solve a problem but they're not always clear what the problem is and they don't give us a proper background history of their watch.  In other words of we don't get a proper description of what's going on the answer may not actually fit whatever the person thinks are trying to answer.

Then the path to having a repaired watch varies from individual to individual and even shops.

On 6/10/2022 at 2:27 PM, RichardHarris123 said:

No cleaning may not fix the issues, so I will disassemble, inspect each part, clean, re-inspect each part, reassemble. Put back on the timegrapher and if the results aren't reasonable, seek advice.

How about a suggestion? How about another step evaluation of the assembled watch. Like for instance why is your timing machine think it's a snow globe?

For instance when the watch was on the timing machine doing it snow globe imitation of what that the watch itself look like? What was the balance wheel doing how did it look? Then one of the downfalls the Chinese timing machine is it lacks audio. Know the beeping sound is not considered audio. Often times when you get no ways and random dots it would be really nice to listen to the watch and see what it sounds like. But to understand your snow globe effect we would need to understand or know what the balance wheel was doing was a running nicely or was a running pathetically?

Then as you just got your timing machine timing machines are used for more than just timing a watch their diagnostic tool. You should establish a timing procedure. I like the time my watches and six positions cents dial up dial down and for crown positions.

Within the last month or two we had somebody who was very puzzled the watch was perfect on the timing machine but sucked on the wrist that's because they only looked at their watch in one position.

Oh I did attach a PDF of things you might find on the timing machine. Timing machines originally had paper tape that came out with dots printed on them know nifty numeric display telling you read amplitude beat EDS got a graphical display. Fortunately the graphical display whether it's a newfangled LCD digital timing machine or in old-fashioned paper tape machine the graphical displays are the same

then you should have a timing procedure of? Usually when you're timing a watch you fully wind it up you let it run for about 15 minutes to about an hour it depends on whose literature you look at as to what their definition of fully wound is. But you typically never will time at the way wound tight things will be misleading.

Then when you're timing your six positions and rotating microphone allow it to settle about 30 seconds works. Then measure for about 30 seconds

Timing-Machine-Charts.PDF

• Like 2

On 6/12/2022 at 12:16 PM, JohnR725 said:

Usually in discussions I ask lots of questions.  Which sometimes irritates people who are seeking a quick answers as they just want a quick answer

Usual questions would be background history of the watch and why are you servicing it?  Often times people are attempting to solve a problem but they're not always clear what the problem is and they don't give us a proper background history of their watch.  In other words of we don't get a proper description of what's going on the answer may not actually fit whatever the person thinks are trying to answer.

Then the path to having a repaired watch varies from individual to individual and even shops.

How about a suggestion? How about another step evaluation of the assembled watch. Like for instance why is your timing machine think it's a snow globe?

For instance when the watch was on the timing machine doing it snow globe imitation of what that the watch itself look like? What was the balance wheel doing how did it look? Then one of the downfalls the Chinese timing machine is it lacks audio. Know the beeping sound is not considered audio. Often times when you get no ways and random dots it would be really nice to listen to the watch and see what it sounds like. But to understand your snow globe effect we would need to understand or know what the balance wheel was doing was a running nicely or was a running pathetically?

Then as you just got your timing machine timing machines are used for more than just timing a watch their diagnostic tool. You should establish a timing procedure. I like the time my watches and six positions cents dial up dial down and for crown positions.

Within the last month or two we had somebody who was very puzzled the watch was perfect on the timing machine but sucked on the wrist that's because they only looked at their watch in one position.

Oh I did attach a PDF of things you might find on the timing machine. Timing machines originally had paper tape that came out with dots printed on them know nifty numeric display telling you read amplitude beat EDS got a graphical display. Fortunately the graphical display whether it's a newfangled LCD digital timing machine or in old-fashioned paper tape machine the graphical displays are the same

then you should have a timing procedure of? Usually when you're timing a watch you fully wind it up you let it run for about 15 minutes to about an hour it depends on whose literature you look at as to what their definition of fully wound is. But you typically never will time at the way wound tight things will be misleading.

Then when you're timing your six positions and rotating microphone allow it to settle about 30 seconds works. Then measure for about 30 seconds

Timing-Machine-Charts.PDF 5.32 MB · 4 downloads

Very useful information John as always.

1 hour ago, JohnR725 said:

I'm curious I took the time last week to post an answer no comments I'm curious how you doing with your watch? I'm also curious as to whether I was wasting my time even posting an answer?

Sorry, if you are referring to my watch, I haven't touched it yet. I will let everyone know the result when I do. 

1 hour ago, JohnR725 said:

I'm curious I took the time last week to post an answer no comments I'm curious how you doing with your watch? I'm also curious as to whether I was wasting my time even posting an answer?