Tag Heuer Aquaracer repair?

Hi all - I barely have my feet wet in watch repair but wanted to get some opinions on something that has come up locally. There is a Tag Heuer aquaracer for a reasonable price, 3 years old. Noted it does not run, here is the verbiage of the ad:

TagHeuer automatic watch  approx 3 yrs old.

$250 OBO

Not currently working. Took to a jeweller Needs new automatic/kinetic rewind pin. Approx 500.00 Canadian

Watch value approx $2400.

I am of the opinion almost anything can be repaired, even if I do not have the current skill. The only way I would ever own a piece such as this is in these situations and there are other areas of my life where I have similarly benefited simply because people do not have any interest in taking something apart. After some googling, the $500 seems to me like the cost of a service from Tag. I am unable to determine what a 'automatic/kinetic rewind pin' is, if this is lack of knowledge on my part of the jewellers.

While I may be blinded by the cost of this watch new, I do not have a problem sitting on it until I gain more knowledge. With some other googling it seems difficult to find Tag Heuer movement parts, but perhaps I do not yet know the right places look.

What are your thoughts?

Have a good day all.

35 minutes ago, Charette said:

…Not currently working. Took to a jeweller Needs new automatic/kinetic rewind pin. Approx 500.00 Canadian

Watch value approx $2400…

This is the movement of the Aquaracer, basically an ordinary ETA 2824-2. Don‘t expect the value - if serviced and working - being near $2400,-

9E8A26CD-ACA5-401D-95E8-526115CD3F7B.thumb.jpeg.ab2c85f3776dda643bd5974155da9029.jpeg

You see the winding weight with „TAG Heuer“ engraved. It has no pin as a bearing but a roller bearing. If this is damaged after just 3 years there might be other severe defects (shock, water…).

Edited by Kalanag
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Kalanag said:

This is the movement of the Aquaracer, basically an ordinary ETA 2824-2. Don‘t expect the value - if serviced and working - being near $2400,-

9E8A26CD-ACA5-401D-95E8-526115CD3F7B.thumb.jpeg.ab2c85f3776dda643bd5974155da9029.jpeg

You see the winding weight with „TAG Heuer“ engraved. It has no pin as a bearing but a roller bearing. If this is damaged after just 3 years there might be other severe defects (shock, water…).

Appreciated, sounds best for me to stay away at this time.

• 2 weeks later...

I have found Aquaracer to be very waterproof. I have also found that many Tag Heuer watches are fake. I do not want to discourage you, but be careful. Might be a fake with a crap movement. A Tag Heuer expert told me the newest fakes are very difficult to tell unless opened. You could do a repair and be left with a $50 watch.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/6/2022 at 8:51 AM, Charette said:

$250 OBO

Not currently working. Took to a jeweller Needs new automatic/kinetic rewind pin. Approx 500.00 Canadian

Watch value approx $2400

I'm probably the overly suspicious type but if the watch value is approximately $2400 in somebody's selling it for $250 that seems a little suspicious? Now faded said the watch value was perfect in running condition is 2400 and currently it's a piece of crap that doesn't run but I want to 150 or make me an offer that would make more sense but that's not what the person is saying.

Then the description of the repair as noted above by someone else isn't quite right.

out of curiosity I looked on eBay and you're getting ripped off. Somebody else has one for $200 you can even make an offer. Although its condition is quite amusing apparently it is an automatic but it need something to make it work apparently needs a battery the cost of which would be $12 from the jewelry store. oh and then there's the other little problem typically on eBay don't want to buy from sellers that have a bad rating or zero rating.

I do see another one for lesson $200 but it is an auction it's from a seller that has hundred percent good rating and looking at the other items it will soar way beyond the price.

Sometimes of things are too good to be true I think that's a safe way to think. Unless you could actually physically see the watch and make sure it's a legitimate watch who did very definitely questionable what you're buying especially with the very poor description of what the problem is.

• Thanks 1