Today's carboot acquisitions

13 minutes ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Hemswell carboot on Lincolnshire boarder. A virtually unused and boxed Ingersoll pocket watch 12 quid and one for Watchie a gold plated working Boctok diver not a particularly handsome chap (the Boctok not Watchie) but i was quite pleased with the finished haggling price of 16 one pound coins.

16544200376051039682976625742357.jpg

16544201557656740426711874120810.jpg

Good find and yes the Boctok won't win any beauty prizes. 

2 hours ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Hemswell carboot on Lincolnshire boarder. A virtually unused and boxed Ingersoll pocket watch 12 quid and one for Watchie a gold plated working Boctok diver not a particularly handsome chap (the Boctok not Watchie) but i was quite pleased with the finished haggling price of 16 one pound coins.

16544200376051039682976625742357.jpg

16544201557656740426711874120810.jpg

We need pictures of the movement, maybe that's beautiful. 

1 hour ago, RichardHarris123 said:

My lips are sealed. 

Here you go. Like my neighbour and mate Boris, big and aggressive looking on the outside lol and tbf also rough and ready on the inside. I thought it was a virgin opening, no comments please, no scratch marks on the case back or case back ring indent marks. Caseback ring was bloody tight and the lid went with a suction schurloppe, dont ask me how i know how to schpell that,  i just do.  But there is damage to the balance cock screw face and one barrel bridge screw face.yet no marks to bridges or anything else. The oiling on the balance jewel looks ok as well. ? Ah found it, a brass shim under the balance cock. Quite common with Raketas, i have two. One with one shim and one with two shims. So probably a factory refit to adjust endshake. A cack handed balance removal and refit before it left the factory by Boris the bodger. 

20220605_134501.jpg

Edited by Neverenoughwatches
Futher investigation to find querie.

6 minutes ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Here you go. Like my neighbour and mate Boris, big and aggressive looking on the outside lol and tbf also rough and ready on the inside. I thought it was a virgin opening, no comments please, no scratch marks on the case back or case back ring indent marks. Caseback ring was bloody tight and the lid went with a suction schurloppe, dont ask me how i know how to schpell that,  i just do.  But there is damage to the balance cock screw face and one barrel bridge screw face.yet no marks to bridges or anything else. The oiling on the balance jewel looks ok as well. ?

20220605_134501.jpg

Stamped bridges and pin pallet, nice. Doe's it run ?

1 minute ago, RichardHarris123 said:

Stamped bridges and pin pallet, nice. Doe's it run ?

It does but lets tg it !

2 minutes ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

It does but lets tg it !

Bugger me  ( I would need a gorilla tranquilliser first to be sure ). Dial down the beat error is a way out but the amplitude and timing is unbelievable .

20220605_142605.jpg

8 minutes ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

It does but lets tg it !

Bugger me  ( I would need a gorilla tranquilliser first to be sure ). Dial down the beat error is a way out but the amplitude and timing is unbelievable .

20220605_142605.jpg

Bit of faltering, but i am a little surprised as to how it runs.

9 minutes ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

It does but lets tg it !

20220605_142605.jpg

I have a sneaky admiration for some of these.  Cheap yes but ballsy. 

16 hours ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Haha. One ugly mf

I have 2 Vostoks, a Poljot and a Sekonda. All of them arrived working and quite impressive on the TG. More than what I can say for some of my Swiss watches from eBay.

The Vostok will clean up quite nicely. Screenshot_20210209-001459_eBay.thumb.jpg.8640b0bcb890fcd46d9792027ee2ce63.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, HectorLooi said:

I have 2 Vostoks, a Poljot and a Sekonda. All of them arrived working and quite impressive on the TG. More than what I can say for some of my Swiss watches from eBay.

The Vostok will clean up quite nicely. 

I'm strugging to choose a strap for it. I cant decide on a tan leather which seems so wrong for a diver or a gold plate steel bracelet. I dont think a nato would work with the lugs width being so small and the watch being chunky and heavy. The lug widths for the boctok divers are stupidly small for the size of the watch at 18mm. Yet the vostok amphibia custom diver my missus bought me for xmax is 22mm so anything looks good on it.

16544997474949081749075868780753.jpg

• Like 1

19 hours ago, RichardHarris123 said:

Stamped bridges and pin pallet, nice.

What makes you think it's a pin pallet?

It's a Wostok 2414A which is real work horse of a movement, and definitely a jewelled pallet.

Although the finish on these movements is little better than "functional" the mechanics are pretty sound and will often deliver very good amplitude and quite acceptable time keeping. That being said, of the many that I have played with I've yet to get one that didn't have at least a slighty wavy trace on the TG. The one shown above is pretty good, the beat error is simply a matter of adjusting the stud carrier. I think if they could get their manufacturing tolerances down these would be really very good.

1 minute ago, Marc said:

What makes you think it's a pin pallet?

It's a Wostok 2414A which is real work horse of a movement, and definitely a jewelled pallet.

Although the finish on these movements is little better than "functional" the mechanics are pretty sound and will often deliver very good amplitude and quite acceptable time keeping. That being said, of the many that I have played with I've yet to get one that didn't have at least a slighty wavy trace on the TG. The one shown above is pretty good, the beat error is simply a matter of adjusting the stud carrier. I think if they could get their manufacturing tolerances down these would be really very good.

I thought the balance looked heavy like the one's used for pin pallets. 

10 hours ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

the vostok amphibia custom diver my missus bought me

Boy that's a good looking watch!

The other day I was wondering about bracelet v. strap. I even like the look of the bracelet. I only have one bracelet all the rest are either black or brown (natural) leather. I don't know why, I think maybe leather ends up fitting better?

Back in the old days I would always use a Spiedel Twist-o-flex bracelet.

14 hours ago, HectorLooi said:

The Vostok will clean up quite nicely. Screenshot_20210209-001459_eBay.thumb.jpg.8640b0bcb890fcd46d9792027ee2ce63.jpg

Are you clothing  this Hector? I cant decide what strap would look ok on mine

9 hours ago, RichardHarris123 said:

I thought the balance looked heavy like the one's used for pin pallets. 

It does have pallet stones.

3 minutes ago, grsnovi said:

Boy that's a good looking watch!

The other day I was wondering about bracelet v. strap. I even like the look of the bracelet. I only have one bracelet all the rest are either black or brown (natural) leather. I don't know why, I think maybe leather ends up fitting better?

Back in the old days I would always use a Spiedel Twist-o-flex bracelet.

I love expandable bracelets when I'm working, so easy to take off and put back on if I'm plastering and messing with water. There is a guy in Uk that sells custom Amphibias. Good price. This was 109 Betties. Thats GBPs if anyone is wondering. Will be Chazies when the old girl pops off. 

5 minutes ago, RichardHarris123 said:

It will teach me not to be a clever clogs or not in this case.  Hehe. 

Oris made a lot of very good pin pallets up to the around the 60s. I seem to remember they had to wait for some patent to run out before they could start using jewel stones. Smiths used them a lot in their cheap Welsh factory made. And most other companies that had connection to them, westclox, ingersoll, services and one other that i cant remember Newmark ? My brain is fried and my body is battered. The missus kicked my arse in the gym for nearly two hours at dinnertime, i feel so unfit having not trained for 8 months, she will soon get me back in shape though. Then the lad wanted to train in garden two hours ago, with big tyres and concrete posts. Good job my alter ego is Clark Kent, but now I'm absolutely ravenous.  🍞🧀🍕🍟🥪🌮🥙🥗🍳🍳🍳🍳🍳🍳🥛🥛🥛🥛🥛🥛🥛

7 hours ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Are you clothing  this Hector? I cant decide what strap would look ok on mine

I got one of the original Komandirskie style straps for it but I just didn't dare put it on. It just looks too Goth.

Vostok_leather_cuff_strap_22mm-01-480x480.jpg.b6d0ae512f4298ace0c0dc70a24ff7e3.jpg

Recently I've become quite fond of silicone straps with deployment clasps. Maybe I'll get an oversized 22mm strap and cut offsets at the ends to fit the 18mm lugs. A 18mm strap is just too skinny for this watch.

29 minutes ago, HectorLooi said:

I got one of the original Komandirskie style straps for it but I just didn't dare put it on. It just looks too Goth.

Vostok_leather_cuff_strap_22mm-01-480x480.jpg.b6d0ae512f4298ace0c0dc70a24ff7e3.jpg

Recently I've become quite fond of silicone straps with deployment clasps. Maybe I'll get an oversized 22mm strap and cut offsets at the ends to fit the 18mm lugs. A 18mm strap is just too skinny for this watch.

My thoughts exactly, ive just cleaned up a nice brass expanable. Its the best i can do for now but you are spot on its way too skinny for the chunky monkey. The black cuff is so Goth but i love and suits me to a T, good call 👍

Edited by Neverenoughwatches