Reassembly

Morning, afternoon or evening all, i hope we are all doing well. So maybe a different subject here, mainly aimed at helping beginners. Unsure if this has been covered before. If not then great, if it has then apologies and even so somethings are worth a revisit and new members can always benefit plus bring unthought of aspects to the the table on a particular topic. Also I will try not to go to deep into this or approach it fully as that takes away other folks questions, answers and comments in the process.Because this is what its mostly about using the noggin the old grey matter, the part of us that really keeps us going when everything else starts to fail, why most of us are here and do what we love and why i wake at 4 in the morning to discuss random curve balls 🙃. So the bain of every newbie "REASSEMBLY" this is where things invariably go wrong. Two very different brain  processes i can think of are at work here. And depending on our experience and how we think, each of us will rely on them both in vary amounts. No.1 brain function # memory recall #- this i suspect is where most newbies start from and put most of their faith and often leads to assembly stalls and frequent questions. " Can somebody help please i cant remember how this part fits".  If i had a penny for everytime I've seen this plea then I'd have 1 pound 34 pence (well i have only been here since April ) by now, but you get my point. This is why most of us with any experience always advise taking plenty of good quality accurate and useable photos. Here you go fresh to the hobby folk your first super helpful and very important tip - lots and lots of class photos 👍. Another useful method i use is partial reassembly while disassembly. So basically take a part or a couple of parts off and then immediately reassemble them. Do this a few times over it helps to reinforce recall, especially helpful with the dial side which is usually a tad more taxing on memory retention. No.2 brain function # problem solving #-  now this is where things start to get interesting. It should automatically take over when recall starts to fail, and tbh i think where our aim should be from the very beginning. Sound sensible logical promlem solving, without it we would still be running around naked living in caves grunting and procreating, which actually sounds like a pretty cool option considering how the world is becoming just lately. So lets procreate, i mean problem solve sorry lost my train of thought for a moment, easily done at 4 in the morning and you have a beautiful woman laid in bed next to you.  Later . TMI.  Back to problem solving, this is what should be relied upon mostly if we are to achieve any amount of success in anything we do. Its what we were designed for and why we survive as a race, for the time being at least. Imo make your problem solving skills the major contributer when needed during reassembly. Inspect every part as you disassemble, note how it fits, its orientation, its connection to other parts around it. Any damage to note, is that part actually in the right way to start with ? has some muppet already damaged it or put it in wrong ? does it actually work the way it is ? This is how pros think, this is how good amateurs and hobbyists think, this is how beginners should learn to think from the very start of their journey. Do exactly the same when reassembling, inspect every part for defects as they themselves can lead to more damage when they go unnoticed, you may have missed something on disassembly or something may have happened to it in the intrim of reassembly. See how the parts connect with each other as they re-enter the movement, this will also help with the part assembly order. The jigsaw is all laid out for you, it just needs you to carefully fit it together piece by piece calmly, confidenty and logically. Sometimes i can almost empathically feel the nerves, anxiety and frustration that leads to a loss of common-sense from a wary questioner. When encountering an issue take a cuppa break before things go 🍐, then come back and deal with it with a  positive approach. Anyway rambled on far tooooo long which i promised i wouldn't. Hope this helps at least one beginner and as always any comments, tips, etc from any experience level are most welcome and very much appreciated. Love and peace 😊 Rich. M aka Clark. K

Edited by Neverenoughwatches
Optimistic to think i could write all that without editing at least one thing 😆

5 hours ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Morning, afternoon or evening all, i hope we are all doing well. So maybe a different subject here, mainly aimed at helping beginners. Unsure if this has been covered before. If not then great, if it has then apologies and even so somethings are worth a revisit and new members can always benefit plus bring unthought of aspects to the the table on a particular topic. Also I will try not to go to deep into this or approach it fully as that takes away other folks questions, answers and comments in the process.Because this is what its mostly about using the noggin the old grey matter, the part of us that really keeps us going when everything else starts to fail, why most of us are here and do what we love and why i wake at 4 in the morning to discuss random curve balls 🙃. So the bain of every newbie "REASSEMBLY" this is where things invariably go wrong. Two very different brain  processes i can think of are at work here. And depending on our experience and how we think, each of us will rely on them both in vary amounts. No.1 brain function # memory recall #- this i suspect is where most newbies start from and put most of their faith and often leads to assembly stalls and frequent questions. " Can somebody help please i cant remember how this part fits".  If i had a penny for everytime I've seen this plea then I'd have 1 pound 34 pence (well i have only been here since April ) by now, but you get my point. This is why most of us with any experience always advise taking plenty of good quality accurate and useable photos. Here you go fresh to the hobby folk your first super helpful and very important tip - lots and lots of class photos 👍. Another useful method i use is partial reassembly while disassembly. So basically take a part or a couple of parts off and then immediately reassemble them. Do this a few times over it helps to reinforce recall, especially helpful with the dial side which is usually a tad more taxing on memory retention. No.2 brain function # problem solving #-  now this is where things start to get interesting. It should automatically take over when recall starts to fail, and tbh i think where our aim should be from the very beginning. Sound sensible logical promlem solving, without it we would still be running around naked living in caves grunting and procreating, which actually sounds like a pretty cool option considering how the world is becoming just lately. So lets procreate, i mean problem solve sorry lost my train of thought for a moment, easily done at 4 in the morning and you have a beautiful woman laid in bed next to you.  Later . TMI.  Back to problem solving, this is what should be relied upon mostly if we are to achieve any amount of success in anything we do. Its what we were designed for and why we survive as a race, for the time being at least. Imo make your problem solving skills the major contributer when needed during reassembly. Inspect every part as you disassemble, note how it fits, its orientation, its connection to other parts around it. Any damage to note, is that part actually in the right way to start with ? has some muppet already damaged it or put it in wrong ? does it actually work the way it is ? This is how pros think, this is how good amateurs and hobbyists think, this is how beginners should learn to think from the very start of their journey. Do exactly the same when reassembling, inspect every part for defects as they themselves can lead to more damage when they go unnoticed, you may have missed something on disassembly or something may have happened to it in the intrim of reassembly. See how the parts connect with each other as they re-enter the movement, this will also help with the part assembly order. The jigsaw is all laid out for you, it just needs you to carefully fit it together piece by piece calmly, confidenty and logically. Sometimes i can almost empathically feel the nerves, anxiety and frustration that leads to a loss of common-sense from a wary questioner. When encountering an issue take a cuppa break before things go 🍐, then come back and deal with it with a  positive approach. Anyway rambled on far tooooo long which i promised i wouldn't. Hope this helps at least one beginner and as always any comments, tips, etc from any experience level are most welcome and very much appreciated. Love and peace 😊 Rich. M aka Clark. K

Yes, most of my questions have been reasonable for a newbie but a couple didn't really need asking.  All I have a do was stop and think. 

1 hour ago, RichardHarris123 said:

Yes, most of my questions have been reasonable for a newbie but a couple didn't really need asking.  All I have a do was stop and think. 

Thats all that anyone can ask, spend a little time trying to figure out why something isn't doing what its supposed  to be doing. If the solution isn't coming to fruition then its time to ask for help. Self learning keeps the cogs churning, excuse the pun, we cant soley learn by having answers handed to us on a plate. A lot of what i know in my business is a self taught extension of what i already knew from being at college and was born from necessative thinking and problem solving when i had to. 🧠 + 🤔 + ⏱ = 👍

As a beginner myself who has asked his fair share of questions what this forum needs is a dedicated beginners section, where any question can be asked and where the standard answer of "Have you used the search function" is not allowed.

Too much to ask I know 😉

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Paul80 said:

As a beginner myself who has asked his fair share of questions what this forum needs is a dedicated beginners section, where any question can be asked and where the standard answer of "Have you used the search function" is not allowed.

Too much to ask I know 😉

I love this forum but the search function sucks.  I've used it and given up after hundreds of irrelevant posts. 

6 minutes ago, RichardHarris123 said:

I love this forum but the search function sucks. 

yes I did notice the search function can suck. I have a frustration of if we recently had a discussion where I no one answer resides to a current question and I can't do a search to find that that's a problem.

But to fix the problem is very difficult. In order to do a search we search for words if people title the discussion in strange fashions that don't necessarily reflect the contents of that discussion that's a problem. In other words a common thing is where people introduce themselves and then they will start a discussion of something and you can't go through the titles and find that discussion. Although that's not a search function problem

then in order for things to be findable they have to have the proper keywords a lot of times people are very clever on how they were good things did not to actually use the words they should use that's a problem. Then so much of what we use is common to basically everything. The problem becomes as to how to cleverly worded question that uses enough keywords to find exactly what you're looking for and bypass 99% of the stuff on the website is almost impossible.

But if people would post the watch model number for instance then someone searching for that particular watch would make it easier.

one of the frustrations I have with trying to answer questions is typically newbies but not necessarily will say my watch is doing this it's an automatic. Well which automatic and a picture would be nice. As opposed to saying I have a and you list the specific watch where we could say oh that's a common problem with that watch. So often times people asking questions are having a discussion do not have specific enough stuff that anyone is ever going to find it again that's why the search engine sucks

48 minutes ago, Paul80 said:

As a beginner myself who has asked his fair share of questions

then the above quote is not what I want I wanted the quote your bottom signature line. You can't quote the signature lines. I find you are signature amusing even if you spell perfectly they will still poke fun at you if you have dyslexia? Long time ago somebody called out my peculiar writing style and I pointed out they've never seen my writing at all? In these new modern times dyslexia is still a annoyance but dictation software is wonderful. Although it doesn't always interpret what I'm saying correctly and it never makes a spelling mistakes so you can use a spelling checker to find the problem. So if you're having spelling problems you might think about getting dictation software. And then you can have people poking fun at how you generate words that come on the paper and wording that isn't quite right in a variety of other things that people feel obligated to pointing out just because they feel they should point these things out.

22 minutes ago, JohnR725 said:

But if people would post the watch model number for instance then someone searching for that particular watch would make it easier.

Thats a good idea John, with every specific watch post name the watch manufacturer make and caliber if known along with the question. If not known then be able to edit the title when it becomes known. Its going to fail now and then when new to the forum are uncertain about what to do. But if instructed when greeted during introduction then majority of the time it will work and will build a reasonable searchable database as long as folk take the time and effort when creating the title.

41 minutes ago, JohnR725 said:

even if you spell perfectly they will still poke fun at you if you have dyslexia? Long time ago somebody called out my peculiar writing style and I pointed out they've never seen my writing at all? In these new modern times dyslexia is still a annoyance

John fella, this isn't your problem mate, its their's. There is only one answer you need to give to someone who is poking fun at how you spell dictate or write . Here John you can borrow this from me to give them    🖕

• Like 1