seiko 5856 regulation

Hello!

I have a 5856 that is losing time. I opened it to see if i could adjust it slightly, but i cant figure out which screw to turn, or if it is even possible on this movement. Can someone maybe point me to the right screw or tell me if i am wasting my time?

20220604_153821.jpg

It probably needs a clean and lube. Check this for more info.

On 2/5/2021 at 3:22 AM, mzinski said:

Does anyone have a King Seiko Caliber 5856 service manual? Or one for a similar reference? 

I have a King Seiko I'd like to clean up but I'm hesitant without a technical document. 

Thanks! 

• Like 1

Excellent! thanks alot! do you by any chance know if + is clock wise or counter clock wise?

Absolut beginner here i might add, thank you for your patience!

Edited by jpg

Mark or photograph the current position and then try. These trim capacitors typically can be rotated all way round and have one position for maximum capacitance. Either way you go from there will reduce the capacitance and speed up the watch.

Edited by Kalanag
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jpg said:

Hello!

I have a 5856 that is losing time. I opened it to see if i could adjust it slightly, but i cant figure out which screw to turn, or if it is even possible on this movement. Can someone maybe point me to the right screw or tell me if i am wasting my time?

20220604_153821.jpg

This will regulate the timing. Servicing it will also help, the rotors can get quite clogged up with wear debris. The train wheels are very tiny so be careful, also the rotor can be a real shite to place back with being magnetic. They want to stick to everything and jump around. There is a little trick that helps with that though.

20220604_153821.thumb.jpg.9ca5cece6aa8a3205fb3f486991b8cdb.jpg

• Like 1

All of this is based on my hobbyist experience.  Seiko quartz of this era came pretty highly regulated.  They were designed in the mechanical watch era, with mechanical watch parts, and were meant to be serviced.  If it is loosing that much time, it needs a service.  I have serviced a few 754x movements that were loosing significant time.  Without adjusting the trimmer, they all came up keeping time within seconds a month after servicing. 

I would not touch that trimmer screw until you have serviced it. 

• Like 1