New in Nebraska, USA

I'm an old retired guy living in the middle of nowhere who has been lurking for a while.  I'm slogging through Mark's courses and as many YouTube videos as I can stand while destroying several cheap Chinese movements along the way.

I guess it's time to introduce myself since I just picked up quite a few interesting tools from a closed down jewelry store, and I'm almost ready to move up to an old pocket watch or two. That should result in more than a few dumb questions and pleas for help so please be kind.

--Jay Miller

Hi Jay,

I suspect that many of us are old, retired guys 🙂 and quite a few of us have watched a lot of videos. I've taken Mark's level 1, 2 and 3 courses. The thing I've figured out is that the guys doing YT videos all have the option of only posting their successes which have usually been edited down to 50 or 60 minutes. After watching hundreds of those you could be lulled into thinking that anyone can clean, lubricate and reassemble a watch in an hour. If only!

One thing I wrangled with on my first encounter with an Elgin grade 313 movement was the incorrect assumption that because I had two grade 313 movements I could mix and match parts. DO NOT MAKE THAT ASSUMPTION.

You'll also find that many of the folks here are quite a bit better than "just a hobbiest" and they'll have access to all sorts of things that I certainly don't have (you're lucky in having scored a bundle from the closed store). 

Anyway, ask away! There are guys here who know quite a lot about a variety of specific brands.

Welcome to the forum!

- Gary Smith

Edited by grsnovi
spelling

• 4 weeks later...