6 hours ago, jdrichard said:

New Mystey tool

Things are always more mysterious if you don't explain or show a better pictures. It looks like something lurking in my bench at work which is actually a very useful tool. Although some previous user failed to grasp what it's really used for and took a notch out of one of the notches on the bottom rendering one of them not as useful as it could be.

Then yes I could be more helpful and tell you what it is but it's a national holiday today. The problem with holidays are unlike other parts of the planet where you get paid holidays I don't and I'm supposed to go to work today I'm just not feeling it so I don't feel like being super helpful. But if I remember I'll get you better pictures and show you what it's used for in the meantime maybe a few words because I suppose I should be helpful?

For instance a better picture would've included the bottom there's a disk with a series of notches? If you rotate the knob on the very top and push down the disc is free to move to allow you to select a different notch. If I remember correctly there should be a protruding pin that allows the disc to be in a stationary location then you tighten the knob back up and lock it in place.

Then there's the other knob what does rotating it do? Notice something goes in and out and at the end hopefully there's still a little tiny hole designed to clear a pivot. Thinking about it they probably should have had different sizes for this I don't actually have a catalog picture is so I don't know works fine for pocket watches though at least mine does.

Okay in my helpful unhelpful answer for today. Yes in the world not everybody gets paid national holidays and the store almost never closes it's in a mall and we have to operate on mall hours. But where was I? Live a disc that allows you to select different size notches and you notice when you look at the side of the disk it's like it's designed to? Then the protruding part that goes in and out with its tiny hole designed not to break pivots. Almost like it's designed to push on a staff for instance if you pushed on the end of the balance staff and tool slid under a yes I'm trying really hard not to say the word but it slides under something then you rotate the knob it pushes the staff out and it removes something.

So here's your answer that explains what it's used for its used to remove something found on a balance staff and it works really well and nowhere in the description did I say what it actually removes and no it's not the hairspring it's not for that is used for the thing on the other side but I never did say I was going to be super helpful today although if I do remember I'll see if I get a picture of the tool and use at least the one I am at work

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JohnR725 said:

Things are always more mysterious if you don't explain or show a better pictures. It looks like something lurking in my bench at work which is actually a very useful tool. Although some previous user failed to grasp what it's really used for and took a notch out of one of the notches on the bottom rendering one of them not as useful as it could be.

Then yes I could be more helpful and tell you what it is but it's a national holiday today. The problem with holidays are unlike other parts of the planet where you get paid holidays I don't and I'm supposed to go to work today I'm just not feeling it so I don't feel like being super helpful. But if I remember I'll get you better pictures and show you what it's used for in the meantime maybe a few words because I suppose I should be helpful?

For instance a better picture would've included the bottom there's a disk with a series of notches? If you rotate the knob on the very top and push down the disc is free to move to allow you to select a different notch. If I remember correctly there should be a protruding pin that allows the disc to be in a stationary location then you tighten the knob back up and lock it in place.

Then there's the other knob what does rotating it do? Notice something goes in and out and at the end hopefully there's still a little tiny hole designed to clear a pivot. Thinking about it they probably should have had different sizes for this I don't actually have a catalog picture is so I don't know works fine for pocket watches though at least mine does.

Okay in my helpful unhelpful answer for today. Yes in the world not everybody gets paid national holidays and the store almost never closes it's in a mall and we have to operate on mall hours. But where was I? Live a disc that allows you to select different size notches and you notice when you look at the side of the disk it's like it's designed to? Then the protruding part that goes in and out with its tiny hole designed not to break pivots. Almost like it's designed to push on a staff for instance if you pushed on the end of the balance staff and tool slid under a yes I'm trying really hard not to say the word but it slides under something then you rotate the knob it pushes the staff out and it removes something.

So here's your answer that explains what it's used for its used to remove something found on a balance staff and it works really well and nowhere in the description did I say what it actually removes and no it's not the hairspring it's not for that is used for the thing on the other side but I never did say I was going to be super helpful today although if I do remember I'll see if I get a picture of the tool and use at least the one I am at work

Haha John, what the hell are you like you crazy fool 😂.  Am i going to ask what these are for? Er no because believe it or not i already know . Oh and its also your national holiday so i wont bother you either 😂

20220530_215809.jpg

11 hours ago, jdrichard said:

New Mystey tool

94DA439F-8478-4C71-A189-8D7B80261BAE.jpeg

Obviously JD its a thingamagiggydoohicky 

Edited by Neverenoughwatches

I can see my request for photographs went unanswered fortunately I remembered when I was at work. Then as I suspected the notch that's broken is the one that I commonly need to use for 18 size American pocket watches but I was still able to get the roller off. So we have a really nice roller remover tool.

then subject hijacking? Okay I guess the subject was mystery tools and we need more photographs of one of them

the tool on the left-hand side is some form of bench micrometer. As a really nice big spindle slot should be capable of a very high precision. Definitely a much better tool for measuring some things in the near calipers like the thickness of a mainspring much better.

The tool on the right we really need better photos? But in the absence of anyone else guessing it's probably for truing balance wheels possibly may be perhaps. You should build a look at the ends of the tool in the middle and it should be able hold a pivot probably have the arm like thing is perhaps used to tell if your balance wheel is straight or not. At least that's my best guess.

mt--4.JPG

mt--3.JPG

mt--2.JPG

mt--1.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1