I was inspired by a post on the Watch Repair Lessons Facebook group showing a DIY watch bench. It's using a 62" Husky adjustable height desk with some added rails along the back and sides and a Vyco table mat on the desktop. My old setup was so cramped and jumbled together and now after getting rid of my old office desk, I have a lot more room to work and I can adjust the height of the desk to ideal. I'll eventually be adding some more drawers/tables along the sides for storage.

It was (somewhat) cost effective with the desk costing $199 (on sale), the Vyco mat $75 (free shipping), and the rails just some pine from my local lumber yard for $14.

Bench.thumb.jpg.24ef9e40e592a3fb5b610fc063223a59.jpg

Edited by GuyMontag
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, GuyMontag said:

I was inspired by a post on the Watch Repair Lessons Facebook group showing a DIY watch bench. It's using a 62" Husky adjustable height desk with some added rails along the back and sides and a Vyco table mat on the desktop. My old setup was so cramped and jumbled together and now after getting rid of my old office desk, I have a lot more room to work and I can adjust the height of the desk to ideal. I'll eventually be adding some more drawers/tables along the sides for storage.

It was (somewhat) cost effective with the desk costing $199 (on sale), the Vyco mat $75 (free shipping), and the rails just some pine from my local lumber yard for $14.

Very nice Guy. What scope are you using please? 

It's an Eakins from Aliexpress:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2251832821477621.html?spm=a2g0s.12269583.0.0.45671741T7tstH

I really like it, it has fantastic image quality. I have noticed that the top horizontal bar on the boom stand is starting to flake off bits of what look like chrome. That's kind of a bummer. The camera it came with is only OK, it gets the job done but it has limited dynamic range and is overly contrasty. I'm a photographer and have some DSLR's and mirrorless cameras that I want try instead but I'm not sure what adapters I need...

• 9 months later...
On 5/29/2022 at 11:47 AM, GuyMontag said:

How are you liking that adjustable workbench?  I was looking at Husky adjustable that has two drawers to it.

https://www.homedepot.com/s/1003951491?NCNI-5

8 hours ago, gpraceman said:

How are you liking that adjustable workbench?  I was looking at Husky adjustable that has two drawers to it.

https://www.homedepot.com/s/1003951491?NCNI-5

I really like the bench. I thought I would use the height adjustment more but in the end I tend to keep it at a height that is comfortable and then when I use the scope I just raise the chair as that is faster than lowering the desk.

7 hours ago, oldhippy said:

Facing a window so you have natural light is good. Are you working with your scope all the time and not using an eye  glass? Not sure about the colour you have for flooring. 

I use the scope a lot. I started using it for about 100% of the reassembly but I tend to use a 4x mag visor for disassembly.  Yes, the floor color isn't ideal but it's better than the carpet that was present when we moved in 🙂