To service or not to service that is the question

Leave it as it is. Beat rate spot on, even trace, great amplitude.

If you need to fiddle with it, the crown tube could use some cleaning and since the back has to come off to remove the crown then a new caseback gasket as well.

I imagine you know about the stem release for these watches? the crown needs to be in the time-set positiion and the release pressed in only as far as the slots on the side. Any further an you will need to remove the hands and dial, keyless stuff and daywheel to reinstall everything.

Anilv

Edited by anilv
  • Like 1

On 9/26/2022 at 5:43 AM, Paul80 said:

Wow a thousand pound watch and the stem removal is booby traped by poor design 😎

It has absolutely nothing to do with Sinn. It's an ETA 2824-2. The same is true for other ETA movements, for example, the 2892-A2. Anyway, the slot is actually a good design which will prevent you from pushing the setting lever button too far. That is, you use a suitable screwdriver to push the button. However, it's not super-sensitive. You can push using for example a pointed piece of peg wood, but then you have to pull on the crown continually and stop pushing as soon as you feel the stem is coming out. Sometimes, but not often, this is even necessary when the slot (for some unknown reason) is slightly too shallow.

• Like 1

Yeah, I don't like it myself but sometimes you dont have a choice. At least the date-jumper spring is has a good design where you can assemble the jumper and its associated bits and then get the date ring in place by utlising the gaps in the cover-plate to allow the date ring to go in place. Very handy when when you f-up the stem insertion and have to remove the hands/dial/set lever spring plate and date-ring to get the bits in alignment again! 

Also on re-installing you need to press the stem release a bit to ensure you don't dislodge the clutch wheel from the set lever.

Easy enough with new watches but on watches that have been 'worked' over on it can be a bit tricky.

Anilv

edit. I have realigned the clutch wheel by removing the barrel and barrel bridge but its too much hassle. Might be required if the dial has been glued down etc.

Edited by anilv
  • Like 1