Too Many Questions

Hi Everyone, my name is Terry and I am returning to the challenge of watch and clock repair many years later after my dad first introduced it to me when I was a wee lad.   My dad has unfortunately passed away but has left me with a business that I am keen to pick up and continue in his footsteps as a second generation.  I have a decent collection of watch tools and parts and am building up a set of tools for clock work having recently acquired a Sherline lathe and a drill press (I felt the Boley lathe was going to be a bit of a challenge on the clock side of things). 

I started off watching Mark Lovick's courses and really appreciate the professionalism he is trying to convey since I very much want to learn the right way to do things.  After that I joined AWCI, NAWCC and BHI and have already taken some excellent on site clock courses and a distance learning watch course at AWCI this year.  I am also enrolled in the British Horological Institutes distance learning program working through that for the rest of the year towards my certification.

Successfully serviced a couple of vintage American clocks and a few watches, gradually dipping into more complex movements as I go along.  Looking forward to your help in solving some probably trivial problems to begin with, but hoping to eventually lend a hand to others as I get a stronger foothold on this challenging career.

Cheers, Terry

p.s. My first question is what type a gasket is required for this Ole Mathieson (Paseux 7001) movement?  I received the watch with the crystal off and the movement out of the case.   My guess is likely had a nylon crystal gasket at one time.   I measured the inside rim of the bezel that the domed crystal is attached to and it looks like 31.20 mm inside diameter with a 0.50mm deep rim.

IMG_4056.jpg

Hi Terry,

No help on the gasket (likely no help on much of anything). This is a good place. You might want to post your question in one of the forums as the general population doesn't seem to visit here very often.

Welcome!

• Like 1

Thank you for the responses.  I think I answered my own question that this watch likely does not have a gasket on the front.  The plastic crystal is held in place on the bezel and it all snaps into place on the case. Since it was all apart when I got the watch I wasn't sure if I had received all the parts or not.  I am proceeding with cleaning it and polishing the crystal and case and removing the marks made on the dial by the movement when it was loose in a bag. The movement looks good and has some lubrication still. It is out of beat slightly, likely some magnetism, and is keeping a good rate except in two positions where it is gaining a bit.

Grsnovi, I will post my questions in another forum in the future as you suggest.

Michael, the BHI course does look pretty good and worthwhile. It has 12 modules and covers both clocks and watches.   It has a series of tools and parts you need to build as module exercises in preparation for the course project.  I will also take AWCI courses when I can afford to take the time off.