Complete novice has his first learning moment

I'm chuckling as I type this and thought I'd share what just happened to me in the hope that, amongst like minded folk, you might get some amusement form it.

I've loved watches for as long as I can remember. I can't actually believe it's taken me this long to get into the hobby, and then I reflect on how busy my life has been and I get it. However, after being fascinated by watch repair videos on YouTube and finding Mark's courses (like many others I'd imagine) I immersed myself in getting ready to enjoy this incredible hobby.

I jumped onto CousinsUK and formed my wish list of tools. I pressed the button on my order a week or so ago and it was like Christmas when everything arrived. So there I was earlier on today, sat surrounded by gleaming screwdrivers, cannon pinion remover, magnification, tweezers and finger cots as I looked down at my Unitas 6497 and started to disassemble it. I had some lovely soothing music on in the background and felt very zen indeed.

The disassembly want surprisingly well and after what felt like a very short period of time I had all of the parts laid out in front of me. Being a new movement I was surprised that the oil was a bit sticky on some of the pinions and Jewells and decided I might as well clean the Jewells and re-oil the movement as I reassembled it. I successfully cleaned all the set stones with a brush and some one dip and then turned my attention to the shock setting. 

Leaning in very closely I gently turned the shock spring with my tweezers and yep... you guessed it.... the tiny little blighter took flight and seems to have disappeared into the watchmaker ether. Completely vanished and gone forever. Watching all the videos I never really thought it would be that hard to find a spring that decided to jettison away, and now I have my first lesson.

I've jumped back onto the cousinsUK website and the I can see a part code for spare shock springs - packs of 25 (which did make me feel a bit better to be fair).

https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/shockproof-springs-wristwatch?code=A20271

Is this the best strategy for having a few spares of these to hand or does anyone have any other advice?

Be good to hear from others who have experienced similar learning pains 🙂 

Cheers all and have a great weekend!

Rich

• Like 1

It is not gone forever, but may be a challenge to find.  Use a very bright flashlight to shine around and look for a glint of light from the spring.

Starting out, you should put the watch in a gallon baggie and put your hand and tweezer in the bag while releasing the spring.  I learned this last year on this forum.

I have a collection of screws and shepherd springs that have come in handy.  Shock springs is probably a good idea, but I have not acquired that.

8 hours ago, RichDavis said:

the tiny little blighter took flight and seems to have disappeared into the watchmaker ether.

Sorry to hear that Rich. So far, I've made a number of sacrifices to the gods-of-wayward-watch-parts myself. I'm still not good with my tweezers and things just take off. Usually they don't go far and I can hear where they land but if they go off my work area onto the floor it becomes more challenging (the floor is carpeted). Twice now the missing bit has been inside my slipper.

The gallon baggie idea sounds worthwhile.

Seems like the Cousins pack of 25 for £1.75 is reasonable as long as that assortment has at least one of what you're looking for!

19 hours ago, RichDavis said:

Is this the best strategy for having a few spares of these to hand or does anyone have any other advice?

Hopefully, that selection will have the spring you need but the incabloc parts should be 470.03 (upper balance spring) or 476.03 (lower balance spring).

https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/inca-shock-springs?code=INCA47603

476.03 is available but I can't find 470.03 by itself, I think it's available from the Unitas parts list.

Edited by Plato
spelling

Was your movement a Chinese clone, or the original Swiss one? In any case, the shock springs do have a tendency to fly off when released, although technically the shock springs are supposed to be captive. You can search the forums for more discussion on how to avoid this, such as wedging a small dot of rodico into the gap in the shock block where the shock spring hinges.

If the shock spring has come detached, you only have a few options. If you have the original Swiss movement, you can purchase the correct shock spring for the movement; the upper and lower shock springs may be different. If you have a Chinese clone, obtaining the correct shock spring is more difficult; the shock spring assortment may or may not have it, and you may have to get a new movement.

Even if you do get the correct shock spring, re-inserting the shock spring into the shock block without removing the entire shock block is fiddly at best, and quite difficult for a novice.  The easiest way would be to press out the shock block with a jeweling tool, re-hinge the shock spring, then reinsert the shock block. A good jeweling tool is quite costly, though.

I've had a few springs, screws second hands try to escape me in the early days. On those occasions i find it best to call in children (well young adults now) to use there Hawk eyes to find them, with a promise to cross their palms with silver.  Trouble is the older they get they more the finders fee goes up 😞

It's all part of the learning curve i guess!

Try darkening the room and getting down on the floor with a flashlight.  Lay the flashlight on the floor and slowly rotate looking for elongated shadows.  Really makes things pop - including dust bunnies, the odd bit of chip dropped while snacking,...