[Article]The British Watch And Clock Makers’ Guild Industry Action Fund

Please consider donating a small amount to the BWCMG Industry Action Fund. You do not have to be a guild member in order to donate.

Here is a recent communication from the Guild which explains further:

The British Watch and Clock Makers’ Guild
Industry Action Fund

You will have read in last month’s issue of Time Piece about the recent Industry Conference organised by the Guild. Your Board have been very active over the last two months looking at what the most appropriate next step would be, and I am now pleased to advise you of our action plan.

The Conference “broke the ice” and got us all talking, and clearly we need to keep that communication going. However, the common issue that hindered the discussions of all the Conference topics was the lack of basic data about the UK industry, its views, and its requirements. If we are to make any sort of representations to Government or the EU about anti-competitive practices in the supply of spare parts, or to obtain support and funding for other issues within the trade, then we need to have credible facts at our fingertips. We need to show what the impact would be on consumer choice, employment, and the economy would be if we were not to be given the appropriate support, and what the opportunity would be for UK plc if we were.

To gather this data, we need to assemble a comprehensive list of individuals and organisations who are involved in the industry, and actively survey them to obtain a true national picture. At the Conference, a number of organisations indicated that they would be willing to share their contact data on a confidential basis for such a purpose, and the Guild has obtained some outline figures from research agencies for combining these data sources, and conducting the research.

One other thing that the Conference clearly demonstrated was what could be achieved with a sensible amount of funding, and the efforts of a fully focussed organiser. It would not have been possible for us to have put together such an event from our existing resources, and the follow up actions deserve the same proper financial support. To this end, The Guild is undertaking a major fund raising exercise to establish an Industry Action Fund, and we are asking members and non-members alike to contribute to it. In the first instance, the fund will be used to take on one person full time to oversee the data project, and to pay for the research work. Once we have the output from the research, the Board will devise and agree the next stage of action needed to support the industry, and apply funds to achieve the required results.

Our initial fundraising target for the Industry Action Fund is £70,000, which is a very achievable figure. If Guild members alone contributed an average of £50 each, we would exceed the halfway mark, however to further boost our campaign, our Conference Sponsor, Anthony Cousins, has once again stepped up with his support. At the start of June, Cousin’s quarterly newsletter will have the formation of the Industry Action Fund as its front page headline story, and this will be going out to around 6,500 of Cousins customers asking for their support. It would be a wonderful endorsement of your Boards’ efforts if Guild members would be the first to dip into their wallets. Please send an email with your contact details, and how much you would like to donate to [email protected] and we will respond to you with the full details on how the fund works, and ways that you can pay in. All contributions will be receipted and can be treated in the same way as your membership fee for Tax purposes.

The Guild is serious about supporting the future of the Industry, but it needs resources to make anything happen. When we have resources, we get results. If you are serious about wanting a future for your industry, then now is the time for you to make your contribution.

Thank you in advance for your support.

Click here to view the article

lets

I have also contributed. At least if nothing else our voice will be heard.

Hopefully it will make a difference, loosing the old ways and knowledge pretty quickly.

Cousins could set up something on their site for the contributions.  Paypal sometimes offer customers to add an amount for charities etc. perhaps something like that added to purchases would help. Hoping to complete my letters this week to send to my local MP, the business secretary  etc etc.

Cousins could set up something on their site for the contributions.  Paypal sometimes offer customers to add an amount for charities etc. perhaps something like that added to purchases would help. Hoping to complete my letters this week to send to my local MP, the business secretary  etc etc.

I have emailed the Guild advising them to setup a Paypal donation page on their website. I think it would make it much easier for non-guild members to contribute to the fund.