Greetings from New Mexico

Hello all,

My name is Floyd and I've recently fallen down the repair rabbit hole. So far I've service a new seagull movement, and a couple Ingersoll pocket watches. The time had come to try my hand at a refurbish and I bought a non runner off of fleabay, a beautiful little Octo watch. After starting the teardown I realized that sourcing information for parts was going to be the next challenge and here I am! I'll need a crystal, case back gasket and most likely a new crown. I'm looking forward to learning and improving through the help of this community.

Cheers

IMG_20220518_191803.jpg

Hi Floyd, welcome to WRT!

I'm also pretty new so take everything I say with a grain of salt.

You ought to be able to measure the case ID to determine the crystal size and then purchase one of either side of the diameter you think ought to work.

As to other parts, there are a couple of resources that will help. One is a website in Germany that will help with information on the movement. The other is a book (that I don't yet have) that seems to have a lot of information. Many of the vendors have this database available online and there are pdf versions that you can get on CD.

Looking here will give you a list of domestic (USA) resources for parts and tools if you haven't already found some.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• the slow aspect is really really important.  hairspring work is not something you rush you really want to concentrate on what you're doing yes the videos that's a classic problem with the videos. For one thing in the videos most people of videos want to make a decent video they want to make you happy they want to show a good outcome and how many videos are really realistic on this is really hard and I may not succeed? another thing helps his books this is the one I find is really good  Bench Practices for Watch And clockmakers –  Henry B. Fried (Author) 1954 1974 the book is interesting in that it came in different versions in some versions don't have all the section so some versions are missing the hairspring section. They hairspring section is really really good as it covers how to fix things with hairsprings lots of things. Although Henry tends to make everything look really really simple somewhere out there I think on YouTube is a video of him straightening hairsprings. But the book works really really nicely then Amazon can be quite amusing and somebody didn't tell the people at the last link that their book is very rare in the prices very bad just way too low in place notice Amazon prices are not desirable at all which is what sometimes happens with Amazon I have to wonder how they come up with those prices https://www.amazon.com/Bench-practices-watch-clockmakers-Henry/dp/B0006CEZ08 https://www.amazon.com/Bench-Practices-Watch-Clockmakers-Henry/dp/096562191X https://www.clockworks.com/product/bench-practices-for-watch-and-clockmakers-by-henry-b-fried                
    • Very nice Andy 👍, I do like Seiko as does Watchie. This is a lovely early 5 example, are you pleased with it ? I think i may win with mine though from a carboot this morning 🙂. Not fair to steal your thunder today matey. I'll post it up tomorrow along with a 404, if we are allowed the 5 quid mark now. 
    • Yes, quite a bit was removed but checked with mentor and came to the same conclusion as yourself, been on test out of the case for two full winds now 
    • Now that I have your attention with the catchy title! Here is a hairspring that come from a watch that I have little invested in, but I would like to get it working...an old elgin ladies pendant watch. I show the hairspring as it came out of the watch and then again after I have worked on it for awhile.  I think I am getting close, but now each adjustment seems more sensitive, so I am taking it very very slow.  I have watch some videos on bending hairsprings but watching and doing are two different things. For tweezers, I am using a Dumont #3 in my left hand and Dumont #6 in my right (I am right handed).  I feel like I would have more control with two #6.  As you can see, I have stabilized the hairspring in pith wood because I felt like it would be better than driving the brass pin into pine or some other relatively soft wood. Any thoughts?
    • Definitely doable. I've practised unravelling a line from the end with very fine tweezers and a thin roll end of rodico, i didn't find it difficult just a bit fiddly.  I didnt attempt to solder as I'm still learning the skill of fine soldering.  Give it a go Endeavor, if you have a replacement movement on its way, you can use this for getting some practice in before doing the  replacement.