Seiko 5 Quartz???

Hi Everyone,

A friend asked to check his Seiko 5 watch that was a non-runner. To my surprise it was a quartz movement that apparently was expose to water.

Although, probably it is a fake Seiko, I was able to fix it after washing and reassembling.....

Any opinion about real or fake piece is appreciated.

Thanks

PHOTO-2022-03-06-13-08-55.jpg

PHOTO-2022-03-06-13-09-02.jpg

PHOTO-2022-03-07-14-21-59.jpg

PHOTO-2022-03-07-14-22-25.jpg

Screen Shot 2022-05-18 at 18.57.28.png

7 hours ago, Kepas said:

Hi Everyone,

A friend asked to check his Seiko 5 watch that was a non-runner. To my surprise it was a quartz movement that apparently was expose to water.

Although, probably it is a fake Seiko, I was able to fix it after washing and reassembling.....

Any opinion about real or fake piece is appreciated.

Thanks

PHOTO-2022-03-06-13-08-55.jpg

PHOTO-2022-03-06-13-09-02.jpg

PHOTO-2022-03-07-14-21-59.jpg

PHOTO-2022-03-07-14-22-25.jpg

Screen Shot 2022-05-18 at 18.57.28.png

Strange that anyone would want to fake a 100 quid  Seiko 5, but this does seem to be the case. I was going to say a watch from parts but the dial says different.  The 5 that Seiko puts on their dials indicates 5 attributes to that range. Though opinions of these attributes do vary some of them are always stated. An automatic is one such attribute clearly here this is not present. Day and date complication is another so this must be a fake dial. Others are water resistance and recessed crown, other opinions are diashock system and crown at four. Seiko themselves state a robust case and braclet. Lets test that therory here shall we with a lump hammer, same fate that should befall all fake watches 🙂

31 minutes ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Strange that anyone would want to fake a 100 quid  Seiko 5, but this does seem to be the case. I was going to say a watch from parts but the dial says different.  The 5 that Seiko puts on their dials indicates 5 attributes to that range. Though opinions of these attributes do vary some of them are always stated. An automatic is one such attribute clearly here this is not present. Day and date complication is another so this must be a fake dial. Others are water resistance and recessed crown, other opinions are diashock system and crown at four. Seiko themselves state a robust case and braclet. Lets test that therory here shall we with a lump hammer, same fate that should befall all fake watches 🙂

As regards to making it run again, a new movement is very cheap to replace as Kalanag has said. But if you fancy an hour or so to service it is possible you may get it to run if the cmos is ok. The main culprits of these cheap movements would be battery leak damage to circuits although repairable barring the cmos. Would i repair that ? If i had it in my head to do it for fun and a few hours to spare then maybe. Another would be a debris laden rotor, quite easy to clean up. But I have seen rotors in an almost disintegrated state. Another might be the coil, although these are usually damaged by someone poking around looking for a fault. Or you just might be really lucky and it needs cleaning out and servicing. If you are set on repairing it and your friend is sentimental about it then give service or repair a go. A couple of  simple tech testers will ease that operation. The Quickest route is to swap out the movement, you should find them easily, i think i may even have one or two kicking around. And if non of that seems fun then i suggest two of these 🏸  a temp rigged up net one fake watch and a few beers with your mate. Way more fun 👍

Edited by Neverenoughwatches

Hi,

Thanks everyone for your opinions, although I was suspecting that the watch was a fake, I just wanted a more knowledgeable opinion here. I do agree with Neverenoughwatches that this piece doesn´t have  any of the Seiko 5 attributes (https://www.seikology.net/blog/the-history-of-seiko-5), therefore, it is a fake beater, probably as Watchweasol said a Mumbai special (surprisingly, I´ve seen several around here). I do agree with most of the opinions that the cheap movement make it not worth the hassle to fix it, but I have a lot of fun doing it and learn some, so for me it was worth it. Second quartz movement in my hands, the first one an Omega 255.411... that took me a while since it has the wrong minute wheel. Hopefully, there was a wonderful tutorial with images in this forum, that allows me to note the wrong wheel.

Thanks a lot.

IMG_0530.jpg

Untitled.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 5/19/2022 at 1:39 AM, Neverenoughwatches said:

The 5 that Seiko puts on their dials indicates 5 attributes to that range. Though opinions of these attributes do vary some of them are always stated. An automatic is one such attribute clearly here this is not present. Day and date complication is another so this must be a fake dial.

I have also read this from other sources.  I believe that the day and date are always within the same window.  At least I have never seen otherwise. 

Does that mean its a Feiko?  Sorry, I'll get ma coat.

I've also been the victim of the mumbai special too.  It was a ricoh something or other. The thing is that when it was opened up, it was actually an automatic, at least the parts resembled those of an automatic, but it was so rough and badly put together that here was no point in even trying to practice on it.  A lesson learned.