I was going to suggest "Eclipse" pin vices as I have a number of them and they are very good indeed. However I have just had a look at them on Amazon and I don't think that they are what they used to be.

Mine are all vintage, I would say 1950's to 1970's, and made in England. They are very well made and look almost identical to the Starrett set. The new ones on Amazon look a little different and not so well finished. I'm wondering if they are now a cheaper product altogether that is just trading on a previously quality name.

If you can track down the vintage Starrett styles ones on eBay though then provided they haven't been abused they are a good buy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Marc said:

I was going to suggest "Eclipse" pin vices as I have a number of them and they are very good indeed. However I have just had a look at them on Amazon and I don't think that they are what they used to be.

Mine are all vintage, I would say 1950's to 1970's, and made in England. They are very well made and look almost identical to the Starrett set. The new ones on Amazon look a little different and not so well finished. I'm wondering if they are now a cheaper product altogether that is just trading on a previously quality name.

If you can track down the vintage Starrett styles ones on eBay though then provided they haven't been abused they are a good buy.

No eclipse are definitely not the same made. Modern Eclipse is not a patch on my old Eclpise joinery tools