How to remove Jewel

Morning all noob question 

so my tool has arrived to remove the spring from my Seiko 7019a movement, now I have another question how is the jewel removed from it's frame (don't know what the metal frame is called around the jewel) is the jewel just loose in this frame?

1078288831_S20220502_0002(2).jpg.4842e2dff5710c5843d0516038b26565.jpg

S20220515_0001.jpg.234308ea41a7180624cd572de0eb71aa.jpg

do I need to remove to jewel to oil it 

Thank you @watchweasol I also thought I had damaged the jewel as on my photo you can see the material through the center of the jewel. 

But on closer inspection it's just the way it has caught the light, you can see if you really study the image there is a light red hue panic over.

1 hour ago, Tiny said:

Thank you @watchweasol I also thought I had damaged the jewel as on my photo you can see the material through the center of the jewel. 

But on closer inspection it's just the way it has caught the light, you can see if you really study the image there is a light red hue panic over.

1 hour ago, Tiny said:

Hi T. Do you have the cap jewel as well ? 

2 hours ago, Tiny said:

jewel removed from it's frame (

Typically they never come out of the frame at least they're not supposed to. I have a picture showing how you're supposed to lubricated and how it disassemble the symbols etc.

Seiko balance jewel disassembly lubrication etc..JPG

• Like 3

that is great John thank you so much for the info just what I needed 

the jewel above has been removed from the dial side of watch for oiling 😅

22 minutes ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Hi T. Do you have the cap jewel as well ? 

yes all jewels still in place it's just that the video I'm watching his jewel was removed at some point when he was cleaning from the chaton 🤔

2 hours ago, Tiny said:

Morning all noob question 

so my tool has arrived to remove the spring from my Seiko 7019a movement, now I have another question how is the jewel removed from it's frame (don't know what the metal frame is called around the jewel) is the jewel just loose in this frame?

1078288831_S20220502_0002(2).jpg.4842e2dff5710c5843d0516038b26565.jpg

S20220515_0001.jpg.234308ea41a7180624cd572de0eb71aa.jpg

do I need to remove to jewel to oil it 

If it has a cap jewel T. then yes . Then you can clean both the chaton and the cap  lubricate and put back. To oil i tend to put the chaton back into its seating, then pick up the cap with rodico oil its butt then place it back onto the chaton carefully without smearing. An auto oiler is helpful as it avoids the smearing but i prefer to use a standard oiler as its really good practice. You will need a pegwood to hold down the cap once in place to release the rodico. Then put the spring back.  You are lucky i had a diashock a few weeks back on an Oris. It had three cutouts in the housing. I had to get all three prongs back in at the same time. It was a tool making job first.

6 minutes ago, Tiny said:

that is great John thank you so much for the info just what I needed 

the jewel above has been removed from the dial side of watch for oiling 😅

yes all jewels still in place it's just that the video I'm watching his jewel was removed at some point when he was cleaning from the chaton 🤔

They usually seperate. Maybe its held together with dried oil they can be.  I did have one a while ago that wouldnt seperate easily, i did leave it in the end, i washed it out as best i could, dried it quickly to prevent any staining then used an auto oiler to oil it. John may know or be able to find out if they do seperate. It wouldnt make sense if they didnt, too difficult to clean inside . If i had to bet then i would go with they do seperate. 

Despair & more despair for good measure.

yesterday I thought I had a hole in my jewel. I was convinced I had damaged the jewel.

So what do I do, well I removed the same caped jewel from another 7019a Movement and well you may be thinking that's not so bad'

In theory this should have been the end of my trouble and it was for about a nano  second that is until I found this.

S20220516_0001.jpg.13802067ee394dc8ae29cf52c87fb74b.jpg

I haven't got a clue where or which movement this jewel has come from. I really am stressed now how or what would you do haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Measure diameter and thickness of the jewel and with a little luck we can find a replacement. 🙂

By the way: This is the kind of „quality“ you get when you buy a cheap jewel assortment (I bought one from Cousins and know).

Edited by Kalanag

@Kalanag it's not a assortment from Cousins it's from one of the two movements I had on my bench

Question 

does the the wheel (second I think) have a flat jewel at the bottom of the hole for the cog to sit on,

Inked20220502_093532_LI.thumb.jpg.c52c098d9df105db5d30b4089e4ce9d0.jpg

Has the jewel come from there?

31 minutes ago, Tiny said:

@Kalanag it's not a assortment from Cousins it's from one of the two movements I had on my bench

Question 

does the the wheel (second I think) have a flat jewel at the bottom of the hole for the cog to sit on,

Hiya T. This is why photo are an absolute necessity for beginners. No mate your third wheel goes in there. The train bridge has the jewel in it. Where is the train bridge mate.

7 minutes ago, Tiny said:

yes 

Now that big hole in the center wheel plate the third wheel goes now dose or could the jewel have come from there? for the pinion to sit on

T. Bring the train bridge into position and you will see what i mean. 

31 minutes ago, Tiny said:

Question 

T. The third wheel in that hole, pinion first. Yes the jewel is at the bottom of that hole

Edited by Neverenoughwatches

Thank you 

my lighting is to strong I'm having trouble seeing jewels in hole if you know what I mean.

also I have a rouge jewel messing me about lol

22 minutes ago, Tiny said:

it's the third wheel pinon 231 006 has that got a flat jewel ?

What are you meaning by a flat jewel ?

4 minutes ago, Tiny said:

Thank you 

my lighting is to strong I'm having trouble seeing jewels in hole if you know what I mean.

also I have a rouge jewel messing me about lol

Haha dont get stressed. I think i see a jewel at the bottom of the hole. Put the third wheel in there pinion in first thats why its a big hole. Pinion is a bit like a cog on the wheel.

3 minutes ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

What are you meaning by a flat jewel ?

Haha dont get stressed. I think i see a jewel at the bottom of the hole. Put the third wheel in there pinion in first thats why its a big hole. Pinion is a bit like a cog on the wheel.

Then put your fourth wheel in, it looks like its jewel hole is to the right of the escape wheel. Then your train bridge can go on. Make sure you can get the barrel in place beforehand or you may end up striping the train bridge off again. Most of the time the barrel will slide in with the train bridge on, but not always and sometimes not easily.

14 minutes ago, Tiny said:

rouge jewel

Rouge jewel ?. 

I am stressing a little bit stupid me 

calm down T. It's just that rouge jewel that came from nowhere.

get a grip Tiny you got this.

NEW thanks for the slap

Yes I found this rouge jewel on my bench today.

must have come from the second movement because I cleaned my bench on Saturday before I started working on rebuilding the watch.

S20220516_0001.jpg.6b10af3908cb0ec2507ef6ceee55d5f1.jpg

rouge jewel above 

4 minutes ago, Tiny said:

I am stressing a little bit stupid me 

calm down T. It's just that rouge jewel that came from nowhere.

get a grip Tiny you got this.

NEW thanks for the slap

Have a cuppa mate if you're stressed. Make sure the pieces you have are safe. Especially the jewels.  I think the jewel that has appeared is your cap jewel from a shock setting you've been working on. Its probably seperated from the jewel it was sat on without you realising. 

Just now, Neverenoughwatches said:

Have a cuppa mate if you're stressed. Make sure the pieces you have are safe. Especially the jewels.  I think the jewel that has appeared is your cap jewel from a shock setting you've been working on. Its probably seperated from the jewel it was sat on without you realising. 

Take a break fella . Have your  tea then come back and we'll go through it again.

2 hours ago, Tiny said:

I cleaned my bench on Saturday before I started working on rebuilding the watch.

I find it's always a good procedure after or when you're cleaning the watch that you clean your bench. Then you start the nice clean bench for reassembly of the watch.

But yes it is troubling when there are extra parts floating around as to why is this here? But don't worry it happens to all of us currently I have a plate screw on my bench not quite sure where it came from I'm sure I'll figure it out eventually

• Thanks 1