Help , my watch doesnt hold power

I have 7s26 movement watches which i buy in december 2021 , the power reserve before its ok , but then suddenly it doesnt hold as ussualy , it just hold for 3 -4 hour even with 14 hour on wrist , i try to fix the rotor but the rotor itself not loosen , can somebody tell whats wrong with my watch ?

Is your watch fully serviced? If not do the service first and make sure that the motion works spins freely! With the pallet fork removed the slightest touch to the crown should start the wheels spinning. Then make sure that the balance wheel oscillates freely.

As a first and easy step you can take a slo-mo of the balance wheel with your cellphone to check the amplitude.

Edited by Kalanag

1 hour ago, grsnovi said:

Could be that the mainspring has broken at some mid point so it winds some but you never really get a full wind.

I try to manually wind with screwing the rachet wheel , its last +- 27 hours 

54 minutes ago, Kalanag said:

Is your watch fully serviced? If not do the service first and make sure that the motion works spins freely! With the pallet fork removed the slightest touch to the crown should start the wheels spinning. Then make sure that the balance wheel oscillates freely.

As a first and easy step you can take a slo-mo of the balance wheel with your cellphone to check the amplitude.

Never serviced it , i buy it brand new on december 2021 , just lately it cant hold the power reserve, i open the backcase and rotor and try to spinning the first reduction wheel the motion on the winding system i think is running smoothly but not sure if its running like it should be

2 hours ago, Lowbudgetwatch said:

have 7s26 movement watches which i buy in december 2021 , the power reserve before its ok , but then suddenly it doesnt hold as ussualy , it just hold for 3 -4 hour even with 14 hour on wrist , i try to fix the rotor but the rotor itself not loosen , can somebody tell whats wrong with my watch ?

I think this a common fault with the 7s26 mvt. I have an SKX013 the power reserve is terrible, it barely makes it through the night. Yet i have 2 other seikos with this mvt they seem fine. Also heard others say the same.

5 minutes ago, Lowbudgetwatch said:

Sorry i mean winding via rachet wheel screw

Yes mate. I was just commenting for Kalanag as to why you didnt crown wind.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Lowbudgetwatch said:

the power reserve before its ok , but then suddenly it doesnt hold as ussualy

42 minutes ago, Lowbudgetwatch said:

Never serviced it , i buy it brand new on december 2021 , just lately it cant hold the power reserve, i open the backcase and rotor and try to spinning the first reduction wheel the motion on the winding system i think is running smoothly but not sure if its running like it should be

42 minutes ago, Lowbudgetwatch said:

So it held up to 27 when wound through  ratchet wheel and you say the rotor isn't tilted bearing is fine, that leaves the sophisticated winder unchecked. 

20 minutes ago, HectorLooi said:

When you spin the rotor manually in both directions, is the mainspring barrel turning?

Did you remove the rotor and reinstall it?

Yes the rachet wheel / barrel is turning and its sound clicking, yes i remove the rotor and reinstal

50 minutes ago, Nucejoe said:

So it held up to 27 when wound through  ratchet wheel and you say the rotor isn't tilted bearing is fine, that leaves the sophisticated winder unchecked. 

Yes if winding via rachet its running like normal althought i never try to fully winding till maximun power reserve

29 minutes ago, Lowbudgetwatch said:

Yes the rachet wheel / barrel is turning and its sound clicking, yes i remove the rotor 

How much wind is in the barrel while you are trying this ? You said you are getting 3 to 4 hours reserve so the rotor IS  winding the mainspring but ONLY up to the point of that amount of reserve. Wind the mainspring up more and then see if turning the rotor by hand still clicks the ratchet wheel forward.

Did you align the rotor correctly? There are some videos on YouTube that show the correct position to align the rotor for optimal winding of a Seiko.

And if you wear it on the right arm, you should align it 180 degrees off.

16 minutes ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

How much wind is in the barrel while you are trying this ? You said you are getting 3 to 4 hours reserve so the rotor IS  winding the mainspring but ONLY up to the point of that amount of reserve. Wind the mainspring up more and then see if turning the rotor by hand still clicks the ratchet wheel forward.

When i wind via rachet 7 x spin  full rotation the watch estimate like 27 - 30 hours,  ok i will try to wind the mainspring more 

25 minutes ago, HectorLooi said:

Did you align the rotor correctly? There are some videos on YouTube that show the correct position to align the rotor for optimal winding of a Seiko.

And if you wear it on the right arm, you should align it 180 degrees off.

This is my alignment

PXL_20220515_164252101.jpg

11 minutes ago, Lowbudgetwatch said:
35 minutes ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

When i wind via rachet 7 x spin  full rotation the watch estimate like 27 - 30 hours,  ok i will try to wind the mainspring more 

33 minutes ago, HectorLooi said:

27 hours will be plenty. When hand winding the rotor now does it move forward the ratchet and barrel

5 minutes ago, Lowbudgetwatch said:

Yes it does 

Ok . So does the rotor move back and forth and move forward the ratchet wheel if you TILT the watch and NOT hand turn the rotor.

12 minutes ago, Lowbudgetwatch said:

Yes it does 

So the rotor is obviously engaging with the ratchet wheel in dial down position. Is it engaging in other watch positions ?  Also is the rotor turning freely on its own to wind the mainspring. Two things to look at here.  If checking in other positions make sure mvt is secure in the case.

10 minutes ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Ok . So does the rotor move back and forth and move forward the ratchet wheel if you TILT the watch and NOT hand turn the rotor.

So the rotor is obviously engaging with the ratchet wheel in dial down position. Is it engaging in other watch positions ?  Also is the rotor turning freely on its own to wind the mainspring. Two things to look at here.  If checking in other positions make sure mvt is secure in the case.

How to make sure my mvt is secure ? If  doesnt bother you can i know your email , i want to send video about how my movement is running 

17 minutes ago, Lowbudgetwatch said:

How to make sure my mvt is secure ? If  doesnt bother you can i know your email , i want to send video about how my movement is running 

Have you taken any movement retaining screws out ?  Sorry i wouldnt give out my email to anyone i dont know. You can video and post on here using the add files feature below. Then others  can see and help 👍

Edited by Neverenoughwatches

11 minutes ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Have you taken any movement retaining screws out ?  Sorry i wouldnt give out my email to anyone i dont know. You can video and post on here using the add files feature below. Then others  can see and help 👍

Nope I only open the backcase and unscrew the rotor ,i will post the video  please look for it , i thought i can only add file like image and pdf, 

It be rather nice if you had a timing machine? Even though you may have just purchased the watch there is no guarantee that the watch hasn't been sitting around for the last 10 years and is in desperate need of servicing. 

Then there is the other problem with automatic watches if the mainspring slips prematurely or slips too much. To keep automatic watches from breaking the mainspring the end of the spring is been designed to slip when the watches getting near to wound up. It's only supposed to slip a little bit if it slips too much you're not going to have enough running time. If the lubrication goes bad you could have premature slipping or it just might not hold at all.

Then the power reserve is supposedly because I just now that up around 41 hours. But it also assumes that it's fully wound up because one of the problems of the automatic is it really takes a lot of the automatic to actually wind the main spring up. To understand that put a Mark on your ratchet wheel and then turn the rotor how many times does rotor have to spin for one revolution of your ratchet wheel? Then a fully wound up ratchet wheel as a guess what I'm looking at is about eight full turns which would be equivalent of how many turns of the rotor?

Then while I was looking at the Internet notice that somebody else was having the exact same problem and the answer I gave was the same answer they gave the watch might need to be serviced. It's the unfortunate problem of new watches they look new but how long have they been sitting in the store.  Then yes the person who asked the question claim that other people are having the same problem so it may be a common problem.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

You can add video. Does the rotor move freely to wind up the watch ?

Yes it move freely , but i notice when i open again the watch the barel wheel seems not moving when i spinning again and again  first reduction wheel but it just sound rachet wheel click, it is normal?

IMG_20220516_120333.jpg