Weishi No 1000 Timegrapher

3 hours ago, LittleWatchShop said:

This is great.  I started researching the connectivity of the jack just the other day, with the intention of building an interface to my oscilloscope so that I can see the audio.

I think that is a standard XLR connector.  I will verify that later today when I find my audio cables.  Another approach would be to buy an XLR splitter and run that between the sensor and the box.  That way you don't have to modify the original sensor.  I will be pondering this.

No, it is not XLR.  Similar style, but not the same.

7 hours ago, LittleWatchShop said:

I started researching the connectivity of the jack just the other day

7 hours ago, LittleWatchShop said:

XLR connector

I'm pretty sure all of this has been covered somewhere in the discussion group. The connector is not a XLR even though it looks like it is and who knows maybe it will work it's actually a Chinese connector. Yes I know isn't surprising the connector comes from China. But you get the right connector it works really well.

Now the question is did I keep it in my favorites for eBay and can I find it for you? So yes it's missing from the saved searches it was therefore long time there definitely Chinese as that's where I got mine from they fit perfectly catch is you have to get the right size so I have smaller connectors that don't fit that there is still nice connectors and I'm sure I'll use them someday. But maybe there's another way to find what you need colleges have to do a search

6 hours ago, mikepilk said:

But, what I would really like, is a simple (ideally ready made) interface to connect the Weishi microphone to my PC. I know there's a thread on this, but I'm not knowledgeable on electronics. ( @JohnR725 and @praezis seem to have no limit to their knowledge!)

As far as the audio that should be really simple. Connecting up to the computer can sometimes be tricky because you want to be careful about how everything gets grounded or how everything doesn't get grounded in bad things happen when they do get grounded.

7 hours ago, TGX said:

Hi, not sure video links are allowed here, please delete if not appropriate.

Here is a DIY/hack which allows you to hear full watch beat sound from a simple No. 1000 device.

If this was Mark's Facebook discussion group then the link would not be allowed. I can't remember if in the recent rule changes he change that are not because the problem is the person of post the link is profiting from us looking at the YouTube video it be really nice if the person which share a drawing on the group or something. Plus any time someone posts links to YouTube and this is their first and probably only message that's always suspicious. We've had people come to the group of new and telling us about their YouTube channel of the never seen again.

Then found the link to the connector I bought from China it is the exact same connector found on the Chinese machine and it looks like they have some specifications. Just have to specify the number of pins which I believe is three. I know there's other sellers but then they have other sizes so you do have to get the right size

https://www.ebay.com/itm/153100026955

Because the size was bothering me is looking at what I had previously purchased and realize they actually had a image so I snipped out the image.

timing machine connector microphone 16mm.JPG

Edited by JohnR725

Is it GX12 or GX16?  Both have been mentioned. Should be easy to measure, the black plastic bit with the 3 holes in it should be Ø9 mm in the GX12 and Ø12.5 mm in the GX16.

Consider looking for extension cables, these give you two connectors with cable already soldered to them and are sometimes cheaper than just one bare connector alone.  One should be able build an adapter with one ⅛" audio cable, one USB cable (for power), and one GX16 cable.

A power + USB converter, for devices without an analog audio input like phones, should be easy to make too.  Not quite as trivial as joining a few cables.  A box with a USB-C socket and a GX16 socket.  One end to the microphone and the other to phone.  Audio ADC needs to be in the box.

Or get an existing high-quality USB ADC, like a Scarlet Solo.  These have a good pre-amp and can supply micrphone power, but it'll be 48V.

1 hour ago, xyzzy said:

GX16

If you look at the link I gave above the ones that I purchased which do fit they say 16. Then I swiped the image off the eBay and it looks like the size is the hole diameter that the thing amounts in which is 16 mm which is what I have.

Then if you're tapping off of the microphone from the timing machine you don't need a power supply. I believe there's a 6 V regulator powering the microphone should have more than enough power to power something else.

GX16.JPG