Doing it wrong makes you remember to do it right.

I've just done my fist attempt at a full disassemble and rebuild. Watched the Mark Lovick video tutorial a number of times. Good to go. Ready for the first clean in Lighter fluid. Check everything. Balance secured to base plate. Balance jewels removed from balance cock and plate. Kept separate. Good to go. Jewel spring on cock secured. Good to go. 

Place everything in Ultrasonic cleaner. Off we go.

Done it. Feels good to achieve everything. The rebuild will be a doddle. 

Put everything out of the tray into a receptacle to dry. What's this extra bit of gold glitter? I did not have anything golden in the tray.

Pantomime. OH yes you did. 

I had not secured the balance bottom jewel spring on the base. There it was!!!!!

Easy to put back isn't it? OH no it's not. I've been at it 3 days now. Not skilled enough. Even sent off a set of ss tweezers. 

I will get there.

Doing it wrong means you do it right next time.  Will I secure both springs before a clean? You betcha.

Ross

• Like 1

Is it an Inclabloc 'lyre' type spring where you have to get "T" end back in place ?

They seem nearly impossible when you are a beginner - but you will look back in a few years and wonder why you struggled !

One way to make it easier is to put some Rodico at the edge of the block where you are trying slide to spring in.
Stick the spring to the Rodico vertically - you may need to adjust the angle to get it to slide in.
Then using pegwood and tweezers, slide the spring down in to place. The Rodico should stop it pinging off.

It's much easier if you are lucky enough to have a microscope to work under

• Like 2

On 5/14/2022 at 8:06 AM, Kalanag said:

See this video (8:30 up):

Thank you Kalanag, and to all. Done it. 

Been trying for days. Ping, ping, ping. Search for the spring.

Tried it again today. A small piece of Rodico on the spring stuck to the tweezers when I removed the spring from the Rodico. Used that as the holder, placed it against the gap. Closed my eyes and took a breath. Now I'll push it in. What? Don't need to, as it is already in.  Gently push each side of the spring into place. Done!!!

Cleaned the base again. Tomorrow I will try to put the gems back in. 

Woohoo!

Ross

Edited by rossjackson01
Spelling
  • Like 3