Practical practice with tweezers for springs and screws.

Hey everyone.

I am slowly working through Mark's lessons. In the very beginning, he mentioned something to the effect that when he started, he was told by the shop to practice with tweezers, especially handing springs and screws. I admire Mark's dexterity, the ability to pick up a screw and turn it every which way he needs to. In my newbie journey, I have been pinging them into the horological void as a form of sacrifice to the journey of learning. I know that with practice I should get more competent and lose less screws and springs and other small parts. I also know that a good pair of tweezers and maintaining them is very important.

Can anyone suggest practice exercises I can do with tweezers, springs and screws to get better and more dexterous, more competent?

Reading up on the forum and learning how to shape lost springs with guitar strings has been a godsend so thank you very much to all Watch repair talk people.

I bought selections of 100 each of screws, springs and click springs from cousinsuk, cost about £6.00. I have been taking them from their boxes onto the mat, turning them over, picking up and putting them in another dish then reversing the process after doing all 100 of a type. Advantage of doing this is if you ping one off to the Swiss space program it doesn’t really matter as it is not part of the movement and is really cheap to get lots of practice.

Tom

Oh, and you have potential spares for the future 😀

Tom

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tweezer acrobatics. First make sure your tweezers are dressed. Then practice picking up small items such as very small screws etc then try and turn the item 180 degrees without dropping the item. Trust me it’s not easy. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, tomh207 said:

I bought selections of 100 each of screws, springs and click springs from cousinsuk, cost about £6.00. I have been taking them from their boxes onto the mat, turning them over, picking up and putting them in another dish then reversing the process after doing all 100 of a type. Advantage of doing this is if you ping one off to the Swiss space program it doesn’t really matter as it is not part of the movement and is really cheap to get lots of practice.

Tom

Oh, and you have potential spares for the future 😀

Tom

Thank you very much. Already in the shopping cart and I will have lots to practice

6 hours ago, clockboy said:

Tweezer acrobatics. First make sure your tweezers are dressed. Then practice picking up small items such as very small screws etc then try and turn the item 180 degrees without dropping the item. Trust me it’s not easy. 

Good practice for a couple of days will develop your natural ability,  keep at it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1