Im looking for some information about a watch

Ok so I 'll kick this off by saying i know nothing about watches (except how to tell the time). I'm a mechanical engineer by trade but im more a large ,heavy machinery kinda guy and tiny screws end up on the floor never to be seen again(it is what it is) I'm saying this because i obviously i don't know the right terminology and may not be able to give exact details if they are inside the case.

i was given this watch by my father who worked his whole career at the local freezing works but im confused by the numbers on the back the stamp is 133 1076 25  but the book that was filled in (its not English that segment) has an extra 36 on the end of the number, my motivation for wanting to know is when i pass this on to my kids i would like to be able to tell them more that this was your grandads watch,so any model info or anything really would be very much appreciated.  What i do know so far is  its a  Certina  Quartz that dates somewhere around 1988  Dad always said it was one of a numbered  

batch or run so the 36 may be related to that but i have no solid proof of that ill attach photos of everything i can  and hope that someone who know far more than i on this subject can help .

20220512_141512.jpg

20220512_141417.jpg

20220512_141207.jpg

20220512_141309.jpg

20220512_140908.jpg

20220512_140745.jpg

20220428_204515.jpg

A well know brand  Certina In-house mechanical  movements were high grade. 

Quartz watches are less pricy compared to mechanicals and your watch says Swiss Quartz, doesn't say" Swiss Made"  so is of inferior quality to Swiss IMO

Regds

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KIWI said:

Ok so I 'll kick this off by saying i know nothing about watches (except how to tell the time). I'm a mechanical engineer by trade but im more a large ,heavy machinery kinda guy and tiny screws end up on the floor never to be seen again(it is what it is) I'm saying this because i obviously i don't know the right terminology and may not be able to give exact details if they are inside the case.

i was given this watch by my father who worked his whole career at the local freezing works but im confused by the numbers on the back the stamp is 133 1076 25  but the book that was filled in (its not English that segment) has an extra 36 on the end of the number, my motivation for wanting to know is when i pass this on to my kids i would like to be able to tell them more that this was your grandads watch,so any model info or anything really would be very much appreciated.  What i do know so far is  its a  Certina  Quartz that dates somewhere around 1988  Dad always said it was one of a numbered  

batch or run so the 36 may be related to that but i have no solid proof of that ill attach photos of everything i can  and hope that someone who know far more than i on this subject can help .

20220512_141512.jpg

20220512_141417.jpg

20220512_141207.jpg

20220512_141309.jpg

20220512_140908.jpg

20220512_140745.jpg

20220428_204515.jpg

Hi kiwi. One of my favourite fruits by the way, considered as something of a super food by some. Oh  yeah watch forum. What are you wanting to know matey ? Just about the model you have ? Its value ? Some googling may give you a few answers.  Or about the watch company's history. Certina has been a good make since its beginnings. Founded by the kurth brothers around the end of the 19th century in Switzerland at the base of the jura mountains where a lot of swiss brands originated from. They followed a path of a  good marketing strategy, sending their watches to the depths of the ocean and to the peaks of the himalayas. And recruiting famous folk such as Ali to adorn their wrists with them all in order to promote their brand. A tactic employed by other brands, more famously Rolex who were masters of it. So yes in history a very good brand. Sad to say that all this information is more or less  irrelevant to the Certina brand of today as the company was taken over by the swatch group in 1983 😠. As you can see by my disgruntled face that fact bothers me. Maybe it was out of necessitity for a failing company or maybe it was the family just wanted out and a large lump of cash in their pockets, i suppose  who can blame them. Either way another quality brand plucked from history by swatch to add to their collection 😠, note my annoyance once more. So probably still a good watch probaby still made in the same factories made by the same people but under swatches rule. Your watch is still swiss made so of resonable quality probably on a par with Tissot possibly a bit better as im no expert on Certina's quality of this period. All this besides it was your old man's watch, its a nice watch and you have good sentiment my friend and your children will cherish it. I have my grandfather's russian sekonda, its a battered piece of shite but its my favourite watch. X

• Like 2

Obviously the watch was made by Certina for your father‘s company (Waitaki Refrigerants Ltd.) in a limited number using a quartz movement of the Swatch group. Waitaki Ltd. used it as a 30 years jubilee gift. Most likely it has a decent quality but has little material value.

Edited by Kalanag
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Hi kiwi. One of my favourite fruits by the way, considered as something of a super food by some. Oh  yeah watch forum. What are you wanting to know matey ? Just about the model you have ? Its value ? Some googling may give you a few answers. 

well thank you for replying .........and the kiwifruit is actully chinese  when i was young we called it a chinese gooseberry  then as far as im aware we did a deal with them  cos they grow wild over there  and got some cuttings turned it into a multi million doller industry now they get caught  at the border trying to smuggle the neich brands we developed ( like the yellow one and i think theres a red one too ) back to china it is what it is i suppose.  but  eat to meny and its a natural laxitive be warned  lol  

ahh yes the forum  well i did google it and came up with nothing  no model name not even a positive date ( the place where dad worked may have bought  100 watches and just gave them out over the following years as long termers came to the 30 year peroid) so i dont know if 1988 was when he got it or when they were brought..... the place on the stamp in the book needless to say  isnt there anymore so theres that ..........the closest i ever found was a serial number close to mine but was 113 1065 25 and that was 1993 dated so i have no clue  but i have tried believe me 

DSC_0143-3.jpg

4 hours ago, Kalanag said:

Obviously the watch was made by Certina for your father‘s company (Waitaki Refrigerants Ltd.) in a limited number using a quartz movement of the Swatch group. Waitaki Ltd. used it as a 30 years jubilee gift. Most likely it has a decent quality but has little material value.

that  is something i hadent thought of  but only because they were pretty tight with their money as i remember i was more inclined to think that they bought a batch of "last years stock" and had them engraved as needed.... wouldnt it be expensive to have a watch made in a batch of 100 (-500 maybe) soley for that purpose? but i can talk to people to enquire . and i know its probably not worth much but my motivation isnt to sell it it would be to try to figure out what to ensure it for because the inscription on it and that it was his is priceless to me, my only other gole is to maybe find a model name and a proper date ........any extra info is cream on top of the milk

5 hours ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Sad to say that all this information is more or less  irrelevant to the Certina brand of today as the company was taken over by the swatch group in 1983 😠

Arnt swatch the group that had the plastic neon coloured watches for the trendy group of customers that dressed like miami vice actors or duran duran enthusiasts   "Swatch watch" was what i remember hearing on the tv ads so yeah ....a solid respectable company  LOL   i understand the 😠 its a bit like Bolex acquiring its non-fake namesake .......in fact here's one  but they got the fake r in place of the b in fact i can use that to figure out how to get the back off the certina without damage if i need to find out the quartz movement. 

In saying that sharpened peg wood  is a wooden clothes peg thats been whittled ? or is that a real thing like Jarrah ,pine,ect?

What makes me wonder is the fact that there is no „swiss made“ on the bottom of the dial. „Swiss Quartz“ indicates that the movement is swiss made only. That leaves the suspicion that SMH allowed a foreign watch producer to use the brand name „Certina“ for this kind of cheap „special order“ watches. I might be wrong…

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Kalanag said:

What makes me wonder is the fact that there is no „swiss made“ on the bottom of the dial. „Swiss Quartz“ indicates that the movement is swiss made only. That leaves the suspicion that SMH allowed a foreign watch producer to use the brand name „Certina“ for this kind of cheap „special order“ watches. I might be wrong…

See thats the kind of detail i would never have picked up on , I like the cut of your jib young man  youve got a logical perspective 

so would i breech this in the same way as dads watch a practice piece so to speak

its a fake so im told , but im going to have to get the back off to see what the qurtz movment is in dads one  (im hoping no neon swatch watch colours)

20220513_013508.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KIWI said:

DSC_0143-3.jpg

that  is something i hadent thought of  but only because they were pretty tight with their money as i remember i was more inclined to think that they bought a batch of "last years stock" and had them engraved as needed.... wouldnt it be expensive to have a watch made in a batch of 100 (-500 maybe) soley for that purpose? but i can talk to people to enquire . and i know its probably not worth much but my motivation isnt to sell it it would be to try to figure out what to ensure it for because the inscription on it and that it was his is priceless to me, my only other gole is to maybe find a model name and a proper date ........any extra info is cream on top of the milk

Arnt swatch the group that had the plastic neon coloured watches for the trendy group of customers that dressed like miami vice actors or duran duran enthusiasts   "Swatch watch" was what i remember hearing on the tv ads so yeah ....a solid respectable company  LOL   i understand the 😠 its a bit like Bolex acquiring its non-fake namesake .......in fact here's one  but they got the fake r in place of the b in fact i can use that to figure out how to get the back off the certina without damage if i need to find out the quartz movement. 

In saying that sharpened peg wood  is a wooden clothes peg thats been whittled ? or is that a real thing like Jarrah ,pine,ect?

Sorry . I'll clarify my statement and angry face. I meant to say the Swatch group.  The swatch watch was at their beginnings. They own many brands now. Still an angry face though 😠

2 hours ago, KIWI said:

and the kiwifruit is actully chinese  when i was young we called it a chinese gooseberry  then as far as im aware we did a deal with them  cos they grow wild over there  and got some cuttings turned it into a multi million doller industry now they get caught  at the border trying to smuggle the neich brands we developed ( like the yellow one and i think theres a red one too ) back to china it is what it is i suppose.  but  eat to meny and its a natural laxitive be warned  lol  

Thanks for that info. I used to eat them without peeling, dont ask me why i just did.

4 minutes ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Sorry . I'll clarify my statement and angry face. I meant to say the Swatch group.  The swatch watch was at their beginnings. They own many brands now. Still an angry face though 😠

Thanks for that info. I used to eat them without peeling, dont ask me why i just did.

Oh  i did say the swatch group. I knew it wa going to be a crazy day. Still angry face. In fact 2 now 😠😠

2 hours ago, KIWI said:

know its probably not worth much but my motivation isnt to sell it it would be to try to figure out what to ensure it for because the inscription on it and that it was his is priceless to me.

Would an insurance company value it anymore than its actual worth ?

2 hours ago, KIWI said:

a solid respectable company  LOL   

Hmm try telling that to watch repairers and the uk parts supplying houses that can no longer aquire parts. And hence supply those parts to amateurs and hobbyists like us.  You now understand why the 😠😠😠.  Swatch group i have a little gift for you 🖕

21 minutes ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

i still do \0/  and truth be told the skin probably holds better vits and nutrients than the rest of it (disclaimer i know naff all about the vits and nutrients of kiwifruit)  i think the yellow one was bred naked (no hair) https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/eating-kiwi-skin  

th-1074510853.jpg

th-955398952.jpg

37 minutes ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Would an insurance company value it anymore than its actual worth ?

they would be more likely to undervalue it if it was too hard for them to get the answer cos a guess is as good as the real answer     (they havent had a good rap since the earthquakes they shafted thousands of people while being bailed out by govmnt)  its not that important in the big pic

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, KIWI said:

i still do \0/  and truth be told the skin probably holds better vits and nutrients than the rest of it (disclaimer i know naff all about the vits and nutrients of kiwifruit)  i think the yellow one was bred naked (no hair) https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/eating-kiwi-skin  

th-1074510853.jpg

th-955398952.jpg

they would be more likely to undervalue it if it was too hard for them to get the answer cos a guess is as good as the real answer     (they havent had a good rap since the earthquakes they shafted thousands of people while being bailed out by govmnt)  its not that important in the big pic

Thanks 🥝.  You seem like a decent bloke. I love banter with folk such as yourself. Are you staying or leaving us now. You going to repair collect what  matey ?

• Like 1

well to be honest i went to a certina vintage site and asked some questions there and i dont know weather he didnt speak english or he wasnt happey with neon swatch watch parts but no one even bothered to talk to me, So to come here and get a fist full of logic and and good feedback is refreshing to say the least so im of a mind to have a go at deconstructing my bolex and if that goes well ill at least remove the back of dads one just because im interested to see if the movement is fluorescent pink and yellow, ill have some time on my hands as i refused to take the Health dept up on their ever so kind offer to inject an unknown substance in to me that "doesn’t make any immunity but is a thing people do repeatedly im led to believe) so i suppose im a 2nd class citizen with no job at the moment. my problem being once im in possession of my tools (next week) i dont really have any small enough to even consider watches......hmm i may have a 5 mill pin punch though ,hench the question about pegwood eirlier and a new question i saw someone talk about videos on watch subjects  are they here somewhere?.........so i think i will stick around someone may need to know how to weld a 30mill thick plate steel back on their watch for bulletproofing reasons  🐑

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KIWI said:

and im interested in how @Kalanag came up with the waitaki refrigerants info i still cant find that name  but  factoring in  computers just lothe me hes pretty on to it  and the name is correct too but as i think about it its not a jublee gift  but a 30 year long service (you put up with our s##t for 30 years ) reward

10 minutes ago, KIWI said:

doesn’t make any immunity .

Aw come on kiwi . The 70 odd percent alleged that is actually finally being admitted to being under 1 percent in the 80,000 page documentation that is being slowly released over the next 75 years surly would make you want to have it. Why wouldnt you 🤷‍♂️

just read a washington examiner article that a judge scrapped that 75 years  , they now have 8 monthes

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/policy/healthcare/judge-scraps-75-year-timeline-for-fda-to-release-pfizer-vaccine-safety-data-giving-agency-eight-months

is this classed as politics  or world affairs?   i dont want to encounter the ban hammer

oh damn theres another windows update   sigh........i kid you not  the last one wiped 2 partitions on my hard drives and broke my motherboard so bad it had to be replaced

the computer tech looked at me like i was eating a roasted foot after he asked what damaged it and i told him

2 hours ago, KIWI said:

just read a washington examiner article that a judge scrapped that 75 years  , they now have 8 monthes

🙆‍♂️ if someone is getting their arse kicked over it then call me Dumbo

2 hours ago, KIWI said:

oh damn theres another windows update   sigh........i kid you not  the last one wiped 2 partitions on my hard drives and broke my motherboard so bad it had to be replaced

the computer tech looked at me like i was eating a roasted foot after he asked what damaged it and i told him

Were you driving it too hard ?

• Haha 1