Rode 17J balance staff Identification help

Hello,

I just picked up a Rode pocket watch 17 jewels with a broken balance staff.

I have removed the old staff and measured it, but I couldn't get the length "A" dimension because the pivot is completely gone.

My measurements are:

A : 3.42 mm (expecting it to be longer)

B : 2.16 mm

J : 1.29 mm

K : 0.79 mm

G : 0.44 mm

I am a bit stuck at the moments since I have no idea how to find a replacement.

I would greatly appreciate if you can offer any help.

Kind regards,

George

On 5/11/2022 at 2:52 PM, georgem10 said:

I have removed the old staff and measured it,

I've attached a PDF you'll notice that it converts metric inches whatever into ligne which is how we measure watch movements it's measured on the dial side. It's because if were looking at a book trying to identify your watch that's the size we need

On 5/11/2022 at 11:44 PM, georgem10 said:

The movement measures 38.6mm(1.52 inches) in diameter.

then the measurements are nice but present a problem in that in watches usually the size the watch is referred to with this measurement ligne. I've attached a PDF that will cross reference to that.

a little research indicates that well it existed

https://mb.nawcc.org/threads/rode-watch-co.23189/

then casually in a the site sort of books I have on not seeing any staffs that resemble yours at all. Maybe if you could drop picture and label where the dimensions came from. The problem is all the reference books label things a little bit differently even one of my references uses Roman numbers but casually I'm just not seeing anything that looks like your staff at all. Maybe a picture would be nice so we can see with the staff looks like.

watch-ligne-size-chart.pdf

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, JohnR725 said:

I've attached a PDF you'll notice that it converts metric inches whatever into ligne which is how we measure watch movements it's measured on the dial side. It's because if were looking at a book trying to identify your watch that's the size we need

then the measurements are nice but present a problem in that in watches usually the size the watch is referred to with this measurement ligne. I've attached a PDF that will cross reference to that.

a little research indicates that well it existed

https://mb.nawcc.org/threads/rode-watch-co.23189/

then casually in a the site sort of books I have on not seeing any staffs that resemble yours at all. Maybe if you could drop picture and label where the dimensions came from. The problem is all the reference books label things a little bit differently even one of my references uses Roman numbers but casually I'm just not seeing anything that looks like your staff at all. Maybe a picture would be nice so we can see with the staff looks like.

watch-ligne-size-chart.pdf 679.09 kB · 1 download

Hello John thanks for your help. I have remeasured the staff and made a sketch. One of the pivots is complete gone. I have taken some measurements of the case diameter in inches in two directions, across the winding stem and also parpendicular the winding stem. There seems to be a slight difference. I am afraid i only have digital  vernier calipers so not very accurate. But i tried my best. 

I am thinking about getting a digital micrometer but not sure of that's going to cut it. Or if you have to have the special micrometer for watchmakers.

PXL_20220513_082225954.jpg

PXL_20220513_074906350.jpg

PXL_20220513_074105254.jpg

PXL_20220513_074006674.jpg

PXL_20220513_074526897.jpg

Also just in case that helps the dial diameter is 41.3mm

After a lot of searching the movement itself looks similar to a hamilton 912 .

There is also an identical movement on ebay but its in the US and to ship it in the UK it will cost me quite a bit .

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/193849856651?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=WKg0KtYdSMe&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=LMOlZzSNQqO&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Edited by georgem10

Hello I found the following from another forum, i am hoping this will help identify the balance staff: 

made by H Degoumois & Cie, La Chaux De Fonds, founded in 1887. it was known as the Rode caliber and with this brand on the U.S. market. imported since 1924 by M E Mead of Chicago. the Rode caliber was built on a Unitas ebauches.