Close but No Cigar

In parallel with fiddling with actual old watch movements, I've been working through Mark's online watch repair course. To date I've worked through 21 lessons covering 97 topics. Although I "technically" passed my Level 3 course with a 76% score on the assessment (where the average is only a 78%) I didn't do well enough to receive a certificate as I did with Levels 1 and 2.

Luckily there's no time limit on access to the courseware so I plan to work through the 5 movements I have on hand and re-do the Level 3 FAULT FINDING course again. Truth be told, I knew once I got started that fault finding was going to be more difficult than either Level 1 or 2 and I was actually surprised that I got 76% on the assessment. I was also encouraged that the average grade was only a 78% which means that while I didn't do great - nobody else did either.

So, I guess the "achievement" here is that I'm only just beginning this journey and (possibly) that you can teach an old dog new tricks?

• Like 3

I don't know how long you have been working on Mark's courses. When I started my apprenticeship back in the early 70's it took me 5 years of learning then another 2 what they called improving so 7 years and even now being on this wonderful interesting forum I'm still learning I read something new nearly every day. grsnovi, you will never learn everything there is to know in horology. Keep at it just improving your skills will make you a better watchmaker. 

• Like 3

Practice makes perfect.  I usually tell folks if you have problems assembling flatpack (IKEA) furniture then don't bother with watches. If you can dismantle/service/assemble stuff like car carburetors/brakes/engines then you're good to go.

Anilv

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oldhippy said:

I don't know how long you have been working on Mark's courses. When I started my apprenticeship back in the early 70's it took me 5 years of learning then another 2 what they called improving so 7 years and even now being on this wonderful interesting forum I'm still learning I read something new nearly every day. grsnovi, you will never learn everything there is to know in horology. Keep at it just improving your skills will make you a better watchmaker. 

A subject doesn't exist were someone knows everything.  They is always something to learn on any topic. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

I no nothing about cars and I don't buy flat backed furniture. 

That might be that therory out of the window then. Haha. But I'm thinking that OH you have good taste in furniture and that you prefer to ride a pushbike .lol

3 minutes ago, RichardHarris123 said:

A subject doesn't exist were someone knows everything.  They is always something to learn on any topic. 

Mostly yes i totally  agree with that. Unless your name is Godfrey as mine is. You can call me God for short . 😄

12 hours ago, grsnovi said:

In parallel with fiddling with actual old watch movements, I've been working through Mark's online watch repair course. To date I've worked through 21 lessons covering 97 topics. Although I "technically" passed my Level 3 course with a 76% score on the assessment (where the average is only a 78%) I didn't do well enough to receive a certificate as I did with Levels 1 and 2.

Luckily there's no time limit on access to the courseware so I plan to work through the 5 movements I have on hand and re-do the Level 3 FAULT FINDING course again. Truth be told, I knew once I got started that fault finding was going to be more difficult than either Level 1 or 2 and I was actually surprised that I got 76% on the assessment. I was also encouraged that the average grade was only a 78% which means that while I didn't do great - nobody else did either.

So, I guess the "achievement" here is that I'm only just beginning this journey and (possibly) that you can teach an old dog new tricks?

Yes G absolutely not possibly  you can. We should be realistic to a point to avoid disappointment.  But never underestimate what you can do. 👍

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Paul80 said:

Hope you weren't on a mission

No mission Paul. The first one was mostly things that I had absorbed while watching 3 dozen or so YT videos and was rather easy. I had started that mid-March while working on the first Elgin. I went through the material for Level 2 in April and wanted to do the fault finding one since all of the movements that I have to work on are non-runners (other than the Seagull ST36 that I purchased to work on for Level 2).

I think I learn better while doing.

grsnovi

Well done!

Like you I'm doing Marks course. As a complete novice I tried the Youtube watch and learn. However Mark's Course gives direction. Level 1 achievement was 90%. I'm mid-way though level 2. Never realised how much I did not know, and did wrong with regard to cleaning. 

The forum is great help.

Really enjoying the training. 

Regards to all.

Ross

• Thanks 1