ETA 2782 Cross Threaded Screw

My first disassembly and as luck would have it, I think I have a cross threaded screw. I believe this is a setting lever screw. I noticed when putting the driver blade to the screw head it was in rough shape and I can't get my driver to take to the screw slot. It just slips out without the screw turning at all. Even if I could get my driver blade to stay on the head, I'm afraid to increase the pressure here and afraid this may be a steep learning curve. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_9429.JPEG

If the setting lever's still functional then why do you need to remove the screw?

Then I really need to look at the picture more carefully and you need the study your terminology better?

I'm attaching a PDF of your parts lists. So you get the names right and a picture With some part circled.

The image you have is pointing to a post which does not unscrew it's usually machined in the plate. The part that is riding on the post according the parts list is called a Yoke. The setting lever in This watch has already been removed and it looks like it's one that doesn't have a screw. So basically you should build just pull this off the post unless it's stuck on with rust or dirty oil or something then you might have to move it back and forth a little bit but it should come free as there's no screw holding it in place.

setting lever and yoke.JPG

925_ETA 2770, 2772, 2782.pdf

• Thanks 1

On 5/8/2022 at 7:04 PM, Neverenoughwatches said:

Its fairly cheap to live here, medical bills are non existant if you are prepared to wait to have anything treated. But that is slowly changing and we may not have that for too much longer. My policy is look after yourself and just dont get ill !     And houseing area taxes arnt too bad either. 

On 5/8/2022 at 7:27 PM, Neverenoughwatches said:

Haha. Rich try asking an American how much his health care is. NI is also for our pension if thats still around by the time we reach pension age.

1 hour ago, JohnR725 said:

If the setting lever's still functional then why do you need to remove the screw?

Then I really need to look at the picture more carefully and you need the study your terminology better?

I'm attaching a PDF of your parts lists. So you get the names right and a picture With some part circled.

The image you have is pointing to a post which does not unscrew it's usually machined in the plate. The part that is riding on the post according the parts list is called a Yoke. The setting lever in This watch has already been removed and it looks like it's one that doesn't have a screw. So basically you should build just pull this off the post unless it's stuck on with rust or dirty oil or something then you might have to move it back and forth a little bit but it should come free as there's no screw holding it in place.

setting lever and yoke.JPG

925_ETA 2770, 2772, 2782.pdf 1.71 MB · 0 downloads

It doesn't look like a properly formed screw head and yes it's usually a post, so hopefully it will slide off with a little effort. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, NerfHerder said:

My first disassembly and as luck would have it, I think I have a cross threaded screw. I believe this is a setting lever screw. I noticed when putting the driver blade to the screw head it was in rough shape and I can't get my driver to take to the screw slot. It just slips out without the screw turning at all. Even if I could get my driver blade to stay on the head, I'm afraid to increase the pressure here and afraid this may be a steep learning curve. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_9429.JPEG

I dont think that is a screw there matey. Setting lever screws are quite often on the other side on vintage swiss. What movement do you have there. Not set lever probably  yoke. Where are the rest of the keyless

• Like 1

Many thanks to all of you. Apologies for the wrong terminology JohnR725. I did acquire the same document you sent me (Thank you very much) before I read your reply and I did learn, the yoke is indeed what I should have referred it to. You were both correct as this piece is held only by a post and not a screw. In my defense I think someone before me was making the same error as the top of the post is quite messed up, but admittedly, my photography does not show this very well, and my magnification probably did me no favors. I appreciate everyone's patience here in helping me on this learning journey.

The yoke does move freely but because the head of the post is somewhat mushroomed, I will not be removing it. 

Cheers

Edited by NerfHerder
Forgot a word
  • Like 1